MacOS ‘Audio Device Error…little-endian not supported’

mitchjrj

I followed Jeff Mery’s excellent REW MacOS video to the letter (MacOS Sonoma; MacBook Air; UMIK-1; Marantz Cinema-50 via HDMI)…at least I believe so. When I tried to capture my first measurement I received an Audio Device Error message (unable to replay device…little-endian not supported). Perhaps worth noting that my first attempt before receiving my uber-long HDMI cable was via Bluetooth and no such issue.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 4.37.31 PM.png

Any suggestions, where to troubleshoot?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The "not supported" message comes back from the Java runtime when REW asks to access a device and the OS says no. That might be because some other application is using it, or for HDMI with a long cable it might be an HDMI handshake failure.

mitchjrj

Crap. I just received a 25‘ HDMI cable to make the run from rack to room. Hope that’s not the issue as my options are limited for range. That said there do not appear to be HDMI communication issues otherwise between Mac and AVR as audio from laptop is otherwise fine, video works, and the Cinema 50 is recognized in the MacOS Sound and MIDI settings.

Are there workarounds to HDMI length If that is the problem (ex. extender vs single long run)? Maximum recommended HDMI cable length? I presume there would be no such limitation with a long USB-C cable to UMIK to get laptop closer to rack/shorter HDMI If no other alternative?

I’ll troubleshoot the following and report back:

1. Try a shorter HDMI cable
  2. Load the latest beta

Sam, John…really appreciate the input.

sam_adams

It's best to use the shortest cables possible—but—there are USB active extension cables to get past the 16 foot max length. Just choose the shortest one that gets the job done. As-far-as the HDMI cable is concerned, again the shortest one is the best choice—but—the Cinema 50 is probably HDMI 2.1 capable and the MacBook Air isn't. Select a cable that is compliant with the AVR's HDMI spec and the cable/AVR combo should be easily downward compatible with the Mac.

mitchjrj

Installed the beta, all connected now. Don’t know if it was that or order of operations that did the trick. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom