Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Driver not putting out like it once did?

The_Nephilim

Hey All,

I had built a 232L Sub box to hold the IXL 18.4 driver, life was good shook both my houses until recently. I had bought a U-Mik1 and was doing some testing with it and one night I had turned on too much on the 120v line and had sort of a brown out. So I turned a few things off and when I went to test the sub the next day my output or house shaking ability seemed to have been gone. Now with Organ Symphony #3 it would definetely shake the house.

I thought I partially blew my driver but I took it out of the box and measured the Ohms and it read 3.4ohms so I think that rules out the driver. Now on my Integra 40.3 AVR it is a 7.2 so I switched the Subwoofer output to the 2nd one but the Bass still seems off. I also removed the mini DSP I have out of the loop and it still did not shake the house like it did.

So basically I was doing sweeps at 10hz to 350hz, @ 85db sometimes it peaked to over 95db. I am thinking now that was not such a good idea but I dont think it harmed the driver. the Tune of the box is 16hz and roughly 232L size wise. The Sub Amp is a iNuke 3000DSP and has two channels and I even switched to channel A from B and still had the issue of low bass. there is some bass but not like it used to do.

Now before when I played some Bass songs the limiters would light up to near clip but I always kept it under to not clip the driver. there are like 5 levels of limiter lights and 5 is red. so now I barely can get 1 limiter to light up now... So I wonder did something get damaged to the point of it not working properly and if so what can I do to find out what is broke?

Now I know the Process of elimination and I thought I had done that but I still do not know if infact anything is broke? Please help me here as I am at my witts end..

here is a list of my Gear:

1. Integra 40.3 - 7.2 AVR
2. iNuke 3000DSP Amp
3. Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer DIY 232L box.
4. MiniDSP
5. U-Mik1
6. Denon 1940ci DVD-A/SACD MC Player Analog 5.1.
7. Sony 3D Blu ray player..
8. Optoma 142x DLP 3D Projector.

If I missed anything please let me know what you need to know I will answer as best as I can..

Thank You
The_Nephilim

Last edited:

The_Nephilim

OK I changed the cable it seemed the other one was loose fitting and I gave it a test looks to be ok. Plus I guess since it is more balanced out now with the EQ setting this is what it should sound like Organ Symphony sounded good.. the limiter lit up like a christmas tree so I turned down the gain in the iNuke and in MiniDSP seems to be running fine now..

I did order a new subwoofer cable so I will hook that up when I get it.. thnx.

The_Nephilim

I was wondering in my case since I am down in an open unfinished basement would it be best to fire it in the left right front corner or turn the box around 180 and have it fire back into the room?? the basement is like a Rancher house styyled basement with a right corner out as it is over the garage.. so it is L shaped and pretty big open area..

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Hello. I have one of those subs waiting for a build out.

Glad you solved the output problem. As for placement, I'm gonna guess by looking at your gear and the DIY project that you know at least the basics to getting the Mach 5 to perform.

Do you have REW capability? Big help there, that's what I use. Firing it one way or the other, sideways or cattywampus can work. You'll want to adjust phase/delay, too. I also use pre/pro and AVR (I have two systems, both with dual subs) distance settings to dial the mains back in time with the subs placed behind them. Timing those also helps subwoofer integration, even though the crossover is relatively high.

The_Nephilim

I just tried the sub at a higher sound level it seems ok.

Last edited:

The_Nephilim

OK something is wrong. I just got another video card to run REW with and the sub is not getting sweeps like I did before the issue with the sub happened.. I think something is partially blown on the sub out on the AVR? here is my REW scan:

How can I test the Sub Out on the AVR anyone know how?

Attachments

• new graph no sub.jpg
    new graph no sub.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 17

The_Nephilim

I was thinking maybe I am suffering from a balanced, unbalanced issue? would that cause low db in the low end?

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Do you have another sub to try testing the AVR Sub Out?

The_Nephilim

Well I tested with another AVR the only thing I did not take out of the loop was the iNuke Amp.. could that go bad as to not have the bottom end? But on the iNuke it has 2 channels and I did test the other channel and I have the same problem.. so I am just at a loss as to what could be wrong here?

Top Bottom