Low SPL level measurement

hbap349

Registered
hi all,

I always have low SPL reading in my REW measurement to speakers, only getting range of 35 to 45dB while i see other are making beyond that, anybody can highlight to me what could be the cause of that. I am using Umik-1 with calibration file input into REW.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's closer to a background noise level than a measurement level. Assuming you can hear the sweep :) there may be a problem with your measurement setup. Easiest is probably to post an mdat file from a typical measurement.

DanDan

Staff member
There might be a level control in your OS, not at nominal. On Mac take at look into AudioMidi Setup.

hbap349

Registered
That's closer to a background noise level than a measurement level. Assuming you can hear the sweep :) there may be a problem with your measurement setup. Easiest is probably to post an mdat file from a typical measurement.

Hi John,

Here's the mdat file. I run Pink PN for those measurement.

Attachments

• QMJ.mdat
    5.8 MB · Views: 21

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can use the RTA Appearance setting "Adjust RTA levels" to have REW shift the plot so it is more similar to the results that would be obtained with sweep measurements. When you use noise the energy is spread across the bandwidth of the signal, so though the overall SPL of the signal may be at 75 dB (say) the energy at any particular frequency is much lower. A sweep, in contrast, has the specified level at every frequency as it progresses through the measurement range, and gives the results you more typically see.

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
What is the explanation for these stair steps?

hbap349

Registered
You can use the RTA Appearance setting "Adjust RTA levels" to have REW shift the plot so it is more similar to the results that would be obtained with sweep measurements. When you use noise the energy is spread across the bandwidth of the signal, so though the overall SPL of the signal may be at 75 dB (say) the energy at any particular frequency is much lower. A sweep, in contrast, has the specified level at every frequency as it progresses through the measurement range, and gives the results you more typically see.

So there isn't anything wrong on my spl level output being low after measure?

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
The posted file measurements were created used 'spectrum' mode. The 'RTA' mode should be used with the PinkPN signal.

hbap349

Registered
The posted file measurements were created used 'spectrum' mode. The 'RTA' mode should be used with the PinkPN signal.

jtalden,

I used PinkPN signal for the measurement, is there anywhere in REW I should correct my setting?

hbap349

Registered
..........When you use noise the energy is spread across the bandwidth of the signal, so though the overall SPL of the signal may be at 75 dB (say) the energy at any particular frequency is much lower.

John,

I have a question, when we run the measurement for each individual channel (speaker), do we level the volume up or down to SPL signal to 75dB or just a fix volume level to measure each speaker individually?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A fixed volume is usually fine unless there are very large differences between speakers, as long as the input doesn't clip the results should be OK.

Top Bottom