Love and Monsters

Movie: :3.5stars:
4K Video: :4stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :2stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

Movie

With the influx of bleak post apocalyptic futures in films/shows like The Road, The Walking Dead, Take Shelter and the like, it’s refreshing to watch a post apocalyptic flick that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Films like Warm Bodiesi and Zombieland (as well as it’s sequel) have made a niche for themselves in turning the PA genre on it’s ear with some well deserved humor and light heartedness. While Love and Monsters may not be the original Zombieland quality of production, but it skates a thin line between zany humor and seriousness without ever copying any of the films that came before it. I got more of a wry satire vibe from the film even though it was obviously meant to be straight up slapstick at times, and was pleasantly surprised by the feel good nature of the story. It works, though it’s a bit cramped and bland at times for it’s own good.

After 2020 (and the start of 2021) it almost seems like a relief to find out that the world has ended in Love and Monsters. A giant asteroid was hurtling towards Earth (isn’t it always?) and the only way we knew how to deal the rock was to blow it up. The only downside was all the chemicals and radiation from all of the missiles we used ended up irradiating the Earth, and causing the mutation of cold blooded animals. Mutations that turned slugs, bugs, and other cold blooded animals into gigantic monstrosities, effectively turning humanity from the top of the food chain right into easy prey. 95% of humanity was wiped out in a single year, and the rest of the surviving humans went underground into colonies.

In one of these colonies we meet young Joel (Dylan O’Brien), a 24 year old kid who has been in hiding since he was 17 and witnessed the fall of the world. He desperately wants to fit into the rough and motley crew that operate his colony, but he suffers from a severe case of paralysis and is more of a liability than an asset to the crew. Relegated to cooking and cleaning up Joel is the typical wallflower of the group, but is finally given his chance to shine when his old girlfriend in another colony goes radio silent, forcing him to come out of his shell and traverse the 85 mile journey with nothing but a makeshift crossbow and his fortitude.

Let me lead this portion with a simple reminder that Love and Monsters is not to be taken too seriously. It’s not attempting to say something deep and insightful outside of the fact that humanity is about human CONNECTION and not just our will for survival. The humor is lighthearted and energetic, but never too over the top (coughZombieland: Double Tapcough) and the action is fun without being gory or too minimalistic. This is a story about a boy and his dog (named Boy, who steals every scene he’s in) and his attempt to meet up with his true love. There’s lots of CGI monsters, a few hand grenades (always a good addition) and plenty of corny dialog, but in the end this is just meant to be pulp entertainment with lots of explosions and one liners. I really enjoyed the simplistic nature of the film and appreciated that it never tried to be anything that it wasn’t. The only real major theme that could be considered something deeper to focus on was the main theme of connecting to humanity, but even that was more of a glossy coating to this silly adventure.

Dylan O’Brien is really the main focus of the film and he does excellent as the lead. He’s not nearly as dramatic as his Maze Runner films, but he carries the film with a sense of gusto as he endears his clutzy self to the audience. The rest of the characters are generally just background (well, outside of the dog Boy), but they all pull off their roles quite well. Michael Rooker doesn’t even have to TRY to pull off the craggy old man in a post apocalyptic world, but fills the cliched role nicely enough.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for action/violence, language and some suggestive material

4K Video: :4stars: Video: :4.5stars:
The 1080p Blu-ray is an excellent disc, and while the 4K UHD never is AS jaw dropping an upgrade as I would have liked, it does bring forth several subtle upgrades that makes it the superior disc rather handily. Little nuances such as cleaner textures, finer details in the faces, and backgrounds showing better colors is the main increases in quality, although some mild clarity boosts are present as well. The heavily CGI film (seriously, 99% of the movie was CGI) still looks great, but the use of HDR really amplifies all of the vivid colors as Joel makes his way across the surface world. The bright greens of the surrounding foliage is startling in it’s saturation level, and the bright oranges and purples of a frog are just as amazing. Some of the CGI looks a BIIIIIT fake (too much of a good thing I guess), but overall the film is very clean and vibrant. My only complaint was since the film was mastered at 2K and there was SO much post processing in the visual effects, the increases in sharpness and clarity aren’t night and day.

Audio: :5stars:
One area that Love and Monsters REALLY shines in is the audio department. The 7.1 DTS-HD MA track (which is the same track found on the Blu-ray) is a pulse pounding mix that really delivers on all fronts. The opening scenes of the movie show a claustrophobic “underground” scenario, complete with pounding bass and tight confines in the sound design. Once the film opens up to the world up above the sound design shifts to a more open and nimble sound. The surrounds get a great workout as the various monsters interact with Joel, and the score flows effortlessly around the listening position. Vocals are always crisp and cleanly located up front, and the low end section of the track is absolutely punishing. More than once I watched the clip lights on my subs flicker on for a split second as a monster attacked, only for it to go away and come back again with the same ferocity. It’s a great mix, and while I would have loved an Atmos track, this is in no way something to poo poo. Absolutely flawless use of “old” technology.

Extras: :2stars:
• Deleted Scenes

• Bottom of the Food Chain: The Cast of Love and Monsters
• It's a Monster's World: Creating a Post-Apocalyptic Landscape

Final Score: :3.5stars:

As I said above, Love and Monsters is not meant to be dissected and thought of as a deep film, but neither is it slapstick and COMPLETELY goof like Zombieland. Instead it’s a fairly light hearted family affair that leans more towards Warm Bodies than it does Zombieland even though both are the leaders of the “Post Apocalyptic Comedy” sub genre. The film is fun enough for a good watch, and the 4K UHD disc a solid enough upgrade over the already excellent Blu-ray. Worth checking out.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Dylan O'Brien, Jessica Henwick, Michael Rooker, Dan Ewing, Ariana Greenblatt, Ellen Hollman
Directed by: Michael Matthews
Written by: Matthew Robinson, Brian Duffield
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, French, German DTS-HD MA 5.1, French (Canada), Italian, Spanish, Spanish (Latin), Czech, Hindi, Polish, Thai, Japanese DD 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Studio: Paramount
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 150 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: December 15th 2020

Recommendation: Check it Out

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Got it in yesterday... looking forward to watching it. I was wondering if you were going to review it... thanks!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Will check it out. :)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. I too will check it out.

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Absolute gem of a movie and as Michael states, the audio track kicks . Sadly this did virtually no business at the theaters since the vast majority of them were shut down, but I think it could have done $100+ million in a "normal year," because the word of mouth on the movie would have been very positive. It's just a fun way to spend two hours.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm in on this film... looking forward to it!

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
We enjoyed it very much, but I'm shocked at the 92% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It was fun, sounded great, but it doesn't seem like a critic's darling type of film to garner that kind of rating.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Ehhh... it was okay for me. I won't watch it a second time though. What I would probably classify as a rental.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
We enjoyed it very much, but I'm shocked at the 92% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It was fun, sounded great, but it doesn't seem like a critic's darling type of film to garner that kind of rating.

no, I thought the rating was a bit high. It was enjoyable for sure, but not 4.5/5+ rating

Top Bottom