LG Electronics Dominates the 2017 TV Shootout

full?d=1499976880.png

(CE Week / AV NIRVANA)
(July 13, 2017) Experts were in the house for this year’s 2017 TV Shootout (CE Week, New York). Gone were any meaningful audience driven results, ditched in favor of evaluations and – ultimately – awards decided by industry experts that specialize in reference video standards and technologies. Another industry powerhouse was also present, that being a true Sony studio monitor (the kind used by Hollywood content creators during mastering). Before you get any crazy ideas, it’s worth mentioning that particular monitor costs roughly $1,000 per inch of screen diagonal (or, in this case, $30,000). So, while it’s the true gold standard of modern 4K HDR video presentation, it’s also relative unobtanium.

This year’s crop of televisions wasn’t supplied by the stock room of the show’s originator (Value Electronics), instead nearly all were sourced from national retailers and shipped to New York City for the event. According to the Shootout’s moderator, Joel Silver, Sony’s XBR-65Z9D was the only television that couldn’t be purchased. That particular set was “critically backordered” nationwide, requiring organizers to ask Sony for a demo unit. Also, several days ago, I hinted that a special “surprise guest” would appear at this year’s competition. That guest was revealed as Westinghouse’s new WA65UFA1001 Smart 4K Ultra HDTV. Word on the street, so to speak, is that Westinghouse was a pay-to-play entrant. And while its participation was inconsequential to the event’s ultimate results, the Shootout would have benefited from a true budget contender (such as 2017 TCL model). No disrespect to Westinghouse or the market its television is designed to address, but the company’s entry spent a significant amount of time being exposed (rather than celebrated).

This year’s evaluation environment was a light controlled space on CE Week’s noisy show floor, which posed some audio issues for the event’s organizers. The space itself, however, was more than adequate for visually demonstrating the amazing capabilities of modern television technologies. Competing televisions were placed side-by-side across the front of the room. And while they weren’t officially evaluated until day two of the event, one could easily guess which televisions were assumed to be “in the running” just based on placement. From left to right, they were arranged in the following order:

• LG’s 65” OLED65E7P OLED 4K HDR Smart TV ($4,799 MSRP)
  • Sony’s 65” XBR65A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV ($4,999)
  • Sony’s 65” XBR-65Z9D LED LCD 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV ($5,499)
  • Sony’s 30” BVM-X300 4K OLED Trimaster Reference Studio Monitor (approximately $30,000)
  • Samsung’s 65” QN65Q9F QLED LCD 4K TV ($3,999)
  • Vizio’s 65” P65-E1 XLED LCD Ultra HD HDR ($1,699)
  • Westinghouse’s 65” WA65UFA1001 LED LCD Smart 4K Ultra HDTV (Price N/A)

It’s hard to argue with that arrangement, however Vizio’s P65-E1 should have taken the place of Sony’s studio monitor. The Vizio was, perhaps, the biggest surprise of the event and deserved a direct comparative position next to Sony’s flagship LCD panel. In addition, the Sony BVM-X300 is small enough for a cart (which would have allowed placement next to various models during critical evaluations of color and processing performance).

full?d=1499980151.jpg
The Evaluation
As mentioned, the panel of judges was a veritable who’s who of industry insiders, consisting of: Lee KIine (Head of the Technical Team, The Criterion Collection), Kevin Collins (Director of Mixed Reality Enablement, Microsoft), Brandon Yates (Partner at Yates and Parks Consulting), Vincent Pagliaro (Digital Technician), Kevin Miller (President of ISFTV and leading industry calibrator), and Joel Silver (Founder and President of the Imaging Science Foundation). Unfortunately, Sam Runco (Former CEO of Runco International and originator of aspect ratio controls) was unable to attend. He was replaced by Matt Murray (expert ISF Calibrator).

Joel Silver and Kevin Miller (along with SpectraCal’s Tyler Pruitt) were tasked with calibrating the competing televisions.

This year’s event was designed to issue three awards covering dark room (reference home theater), bright room (HDR), and streaming performance. The reason behind distinct award categories is quite simple: market reality. Evaluating televisions with pure reference content under the best lighting conditions doesn’t exactly represent how televisions are used in the real world. Most buyers view their TVs in brightly lit rooms and prefer streaming video. Kevin Miller confirmed that notion when he remarked: “most of my clients only stream content, they don’t even own a Blu-ray player.” Don’t forget, he services the upper-echelon of AV clientele.

That remark might read as blasphemous to a true home theater enthusiast, but the existence of High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG) more than make up for the loss of resolution experienced during UHD streaming. And that falls back on the very notion that 4K, itself, means very little to the human eye at normal seating distances (the video enhancements of HDR and WCG, however, mean a lot).

The Results
The judges analyzed televisions based on a number of categories, including contrast ratio, peak brightness, black level, color accuracy, color saturation, color volume, colorimetry, resolution, and motion artifacts. The analysis included evaluation of 4K UHD HDR material sourced from 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and online streaming (reference material was uploaded to YouTube) under various lighting conditions.

The event announced the winners following Day Two deliberations and LG was awarded a clean sweep, winning all three categories of measured performance. This is the third consecutive year that an LG OLED panel has won the event.

My personal model favorites were LG’s 65” OLED65E7P (Dark Room and Light Room) and Sony’s 65” XBR65A1E OLED (Streaming). Here are few notes based on my impressions:

• Westinghouse’s WA65UFA1001 was never in the running (in any category) and had performance marred by poor color accuracy, greyscale error, artifacts, and some sort of baseline frame interpolation processing (which didn’t please my eyes); the panel occasionally displayed blue as purple. It also had some defective padding visible between the frame and panel, adding to an overall cheapness factor that was hard to shake.
  • Samsung’s QN65Q9F, while decent, fell short when considering off axis viewing and black levels. It did, however, demonstrate the best native video processing for motion during test pattern playback. Overall performance was neither here nor there to my eyes. It’s a nice television, but doesn’t compare to the true heavy hitters.
  • Vizio’s P65-E1 gets my vote as the best buy of the bunch. During a private conversation, one of the judging panelists told me it was “the best Vizio TV [he had] ever seen, easily beating the Vizio Reference Series television used in last year’s contest.” The P65-E1 is capable of vibrant color depth, good HDR performance, and surprisingly competitive black levels. Much like all of the LCD contestants, off axis viewing negatively impacted its picture quality.
  • Sony’s XBR-65Z9D was a bit of a curiosity. This particular model was the only TV in the room capable of displaying detail above 1,000 nits (impressive but current content isn’t mastered above that level of brightness). It also carries over 600 local dimming zones, making for a level of dimming precision that’s exacting and accurate. I was still able to see a lightening of blacks around bright objects in extremely dark scenes, but its performance was ridiculously good for an LCD. This TV exceled at bright room performance and showed the best levels of detail for content with extremely dark scenes. That dark level detail strength, however, was tempered by overall black levels that couldn’t touch the Sony and LG OLEDs (there were times during demo comparisons that the ZD9’s blacks looked dark greyish). That trade off, for me, is a deal breaker, but I can understand why so many enthusiasts adore the Z9D.
  • LG’s OLED65E7P and Sony’s XBR65A1E are world-beaters. The Sony uses an LG panel, which reduces performance differences to a matter of video processing capabilities. Both televisions looked ridiculously good, with infinite blacks and richly saturated colors. And while peak brightness outputs are less than that of the best LCD televisions, the offset of superior black level performance makes up for the difference. Overall native motion processing looked to be about the same, however Sony’s playback of comparative streaming media trumped LG with an image that was noticeably more detailed in dark scenes. The Sony’s native processing also resulted in better overall blacks during 4K UHD Blu-ray playback (the difference was rather small, but noteworthy). The LG, however, had better overall color, with flesh tones and whites that looked more accurate. My eye saw a slight blue push on the Sony panel that resulted in a mild wash of flesh tones and a blue tinge in whites (such as images of snow).

I’d happily own either the OLED65E7P or XBR65A1E, and imagine the noted differences would go unnoticed during normal use in a home. However, if I were forced to choose, the LG would be my pick.

• The X-Factor: Panasonic. I'm told that Panasonic is poised to re-enter the U.S. market sometime this fall. And much like Sony, Panasonic’s OLED TVs are using LG’s WOLED panels. An unnamed source hinted to me that Panasonic has an ace in the hole (an advanced processor) that’s going to blow the doors off the competition in the U.S.

True?

It’s possible. Remember Panasonic’s acquisition of Pioneer’s display segment in 2009? Technology resources acquired through that buy might actually pay serious dividends in short order. CEDIA 2017 could be a re-entry point for the former plasma champion, so stay tuned.

The Wrap
Television technologies have rapidly progressed since the first year of ho-hum 4K sets hitting the market; Rec709 and standard HDTVs simply look antiquated when compared to modern 4K sets displaying UHD HDR media. This is both exciting and frustrating, as the video industry is still pushing forward at a quick pace. We’re currently experiencing a great balance of performance within the P3 cinema color space, however BT 2020 (which encompasses a huge cross section of what the human can actually see) is just years away.

Yes, more changes are coming.

That leaves a big question for enthusiasts: buy now or wait? The answer is rather simple. If you’re planning on watching 4K HDR content, then buy now. The available 4K OLED technologies (not to mention visually stunning UHD HDR content) are worth the price of entry. However, if you’re only interested in watching standard Blu-rays or Cable TV, then you’re safe sticking with your tried and true HDTV (especially if it’s a late model plasma).

Last edited:

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Other Speakers or Equipment
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
I'm watching the Royals game and the box showing the score, inning, outs, etc. never moves on Fox Sports.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I've had a B6 OLED for over a year... lots of sports and news. Haven't noticed any burn-in, but it is an emmisve technology. I guess you could potentially have burn-in for images that just sit for months on end.

LCDs don't have burn-in, but can suffer from something called image persistence. You'll have to google that - it's a technical mouthful! ;-)

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Hmm…obviously nothing would remain on for that long. I would think BB would trade out those OLED displays or at least have a better answer for the display issues. I didn't actually notice it until the dark scenes.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
(Wides) SpeakerCraft Time5
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75Z9D and LG OLED55E6P
Remote Control
Harmony 1100 and Harmony Elite
Since the Shootout, I decided to go out and take a look at the Vizio P. Can't find any. Best Buy in my area doesn't have any. Stopped by Sam's Club, nope. What's out there in my neighborhood is the E.

One day, I'll find one.

Not for me but in my neighborhood, I help a number of my neighbors buy and I like to be informed

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
A big box retail store (much like an airport setting) gets unusually heavy/repetitive use of the same media. I'm not sure that translates to real world, unless someone has some extremely repetitive watching habits all day long.

You would think a retailer would make sure a sales piece is in tip top shape...good point.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
The 2017 Vizios are not in retail stores right now. They are allocated to distributors and for the most part given to those who actually have backorders pending. I wasn't even sure I would get mine with my distributor, but it shipped directly from Vizio, and even the distributors don't have them in stock. Vizio likes dealing directly with the customer on their new releases. After they have been out for a while, then you start to see them in Best Buy, etc.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Sonnie

Thanks for the info.

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
A big box retail store (much like an airport setting) gets unusually heavy/repetitive use of the same media. I'm not sure that translates to real world, unless someone has some extremely repetitive watching habits all day long.

You would think a retailer would make sure a sales piece is in tip top shape...good point.
I agree Todd. I was able to see the same display before the infliction and it was very impressive to say the least. I would say OLED is the way to go if you can afford it. Unfortunately the price drop happened a few months after I bought my Sony but I have no regrets. Sometimes timing is everything.

leecreek

More  
Yamaha 2030 HT, Yamaha 2092 Stereo
Additional Amp
Crown XLS 1502
Other Amp
Onyko 50 watt in shop
Front Speakers
Airmotive T2's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2.4
Surround Speakers
NHT Super 2's
Front Height Speakers
Polk LS/FX
Subwoofers
12'Cerwin Vega, BIC Formula12
NHT Super Ones, Heath AS-1373, 10" Yamaha AS ?
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
Screen
51"
Remote Control
Too many
Streaming Subscriptions
ART EQ355, BSR EQ-110X, Sony CFD-S50, Technics tt
Last edited:

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Well the Visio has the lowest price but it is a Monitor. No use here. At least the ad said so. No tuner.

No tuner???

Would not work at my home. I have two sets using the tuner working without a set-top-box rental

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
That's correct. The P-Series is geared toward folks that stream or watch cable. If you want to watch OTA, then you'd need to purchase an external tuner (which would likely set you back a hundred bucks or so...)

typ44q

More  
Marantz SR6011
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 3
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA 7
Other Amp
Behringer NU 6000 DSP
Oppo BDP 103, Nvidia Shield Pro, Panasonic UHD
Front Speakers
Polk LSiM705
Center Channel Speaker
Polk LSiM706c
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM F/X
Subwoofers
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Subwoofer
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E
Remote Control
Harmony touch
Streaming Equipment
Plex server 80TB NAS
Does anyone know if the scorecards have been published yet for the shootout?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Not that I'm aware of... if they do get published I'll post them here...

typ44q

More  
Marantz SR6011
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 3
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA 7
Other Amp
Behringer NU 6000 DSP
Oppo BDP 103, Nvidia Shield Pro, Panasonic UHD
Front Speakers
Polk LSiM705
Center Channel Speaker
Polk LSiM706c
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM F/X
Subwoofers
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Subwoofer
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E
Remote Control
Harmony touch
Streaming Equipment
Plex server 80TB NAS
Not that I'm aware of... if they do get published I'll post them here...
Thanks Todd, I kind of remember last year that it took about a week before they published the scorecard.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Todd

Your input, please.

I have a neighbor who's wife told me she wants to get a 75" TV for her husband who will be turning 75.

They are not like us looking for perfection and the newest tech. His TV that will be replaced is an old color CRT about 55-60". It looks like a small apartment in size.

My thought is a 75" Vizio P series. This I feel is the best bang for the buck out there when considering PQ. But I have not been able to see one. There doesn't seem to be any in my area at this time.

Robert has told me he can send me one.

Since there aren't any around for me to look at, what was your thought while viewing it at the Shootout?

Great TV for the average guy? At a very good 75" price. Around $3,000 vs Samsung's $10,000 and Sony's $9,000

Nakdoc

More  
Yamaha C85
Main Amp
Kenwood L-07MmkII
Pioneer CLD-79 Pioneer DV-45
Front Speakers
DCM Time Windows
Center Channel Speaker
Ha!
Surround Speakers
zilch
Surround Back Speakers
nada
Front Height Speakers
imaging
Rear Height Speakers
imaging
Subwoofers
a dog named sweetie
Sota Sapphire turntable Nakamichi 680 cassette
Video Display Device
Hitachi CT2066
Streaming Subscriptions
Revox B77, A700 reel
Being on the service end of the tv world, I do not get to see current state of the art sets. I've seen computer driven 4k demos that left me underwhelmed, but my question has litle to do with my lack of exposure. Pioneer achieved magnificent results with the kuro sets, in part because they have always had a commitment to having more "digital colors" in their processors and A/D video. IIRC Kuro was 2 million colors. What are the specs for the current crop of 4k sets reviewed here? To my eye, anything less looks great on animation graphics, but looks over-hyped and over exaggerated when you look for video that rivals picture window reality. Are the ISF guys now comfortable with the 20000:1 contrast ratios? This is probably best handled in another thread, where we talk about where ISF has changed vs. twenty years ago when black was....well it really wasn't black.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Todd

Your input, please.

I have a neighbor who's wife told me she wants to get a 75" TV for her husband who will be turning 75.

They are not like us looking for perfection and the newest tech. His TV that will be replaced is an old color CRT about 55-60". It looks like a small apartment in size.

My thought is a 75" Vizio P series. This I feel is the best bang for the buck out there when considering PQ. But I have not been able to see one. There doesn't seem to be any in my area at this time.

Robert has told me he can send me one.

Since there aren't any around for me to look at, what was your thought while viewing it at the Shootout?

Great TV for the average guy? At a very good 75" price. Around $3,000 vs Samsung's $10,000 and Sony's $9,000

Jim,

Sorry for the delay in a response. I didn't get a notification about this... my short answer is absolutely yes. The Vizio P Series is a really nice performer. Off-axis viewing is not to the level of an OLED... but for the money, I was super impressed with the 65-inch at the Shootout.

Based on your description, I'd go for it!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Being on the service end of the tv world, I do not get to see current state of the art sets. I've seen computer driven 4k demos that left me underwhelmed, but my question has litle to do with my lack of exposure. Pioneer achieved magnificent results with the kuro sets, in part because they have always had a commitment to having more "digital colors" in their processors and A/D video. IIRC Kuro was 2 million colors. What are the specs for the current crop of 4k sets reviewed here? To my eye, anything less looks great on animation graphics, but looks over-hyped and over exaggerated when you look for video that rivals picture window reality. Are the ISF guys now comfortable with the 20000:1 contrast ratios? This is probably best handled in another thread, where we talk about where ISF has changed vs. twenty years ago when black was....well it really wasn't black.

Hey Nakdoc - Kuro was (and still is) a world beater for 1080p media. When lined up against the best of modern TVs, it still holds its own. Once you introduce HDR and WCG, tho, the playing field changes. When fed a 4k signal with HDR/WCG... 2017 LG OLED TVs can produce 10 bit color (which amounts to 1 billion colors). And when placed side by side with a Kuro (showing the same exact 1080p material... which I've seen)... the modern LG sets make Kuro look like a black and white TV.

That's not hype.. total honesty from a very discerning and skeptical eye. ;-)

As for blacks... because OLED TVs are basically comfortable producing infinite blacks... the calibrators are comfortable with them. Because OLED can literally turn a pixel "off"... blacks can go infinitely black.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Jim,

Sorry for the delay in a response. I didn't get a notification about this... my short answer is absolutely yes. The Vizio P Series is a really nice performer. Off-axis viewing is not to the level of an OLED... but for the money, I was super impressed with the 65-inch at the Shootout.

Based on your description, I'd go for it!

That is what I thought but before giving my opinion to a neighbor, I wanted to hear from someone who has actually seen one.

Thanks

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I think they'll be very happy - especially if watching some 4K HDR material!

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
They would never watch 4K or HDR material because they would never buy a 4K player or 4K discs.

He has a large DVD and VHS collection and all he buys are DVDs, not Blu-rays

His wife sits in her small office and will watch DVDs on her 32" Best Buy Insignia TV

Since she wants to buy him a 75", I just wanted a good PQ 75" TV for them and agree with you, a Vizio P would do them well. I would say even more than well.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Todd

Need your thoughts:

I am considering a new TV. Why? Because!

The LG 77G7 will not work because where it has to hang, the speakers fold up behind the set creating a 7" gap from the wall to the back panel. That would be a No Go for my wife. There is no wall behind where the set will hang for the W7.

Therefore, I keep going back and forth between the 77A1E and the 75Z9D but because of where it will be and that is in the family room with a lot of large windows behind the seating area. My wants say the A1E but my smarts say Z9D.

Right now I have a 78JS9500 which does OK in the room in the morning and afternoon. At night, no problem. The windows are why I have been also considering the Z9.

Since you have seen both sets under scrutiny at the Shootout, which would you suggest for my situation?

Decisions, decisions.

Jim

PS: If it is the Z9, this year's model is really a 2016 model. Would you suggest waiting until 2018 to see if Sony makes some major changes?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Hey Jim!

Very big decisions!

In dark room situations, no question I'd go with the A1E. If the vast majority of your viewing is in very bright room, then I'd probably go with the LCD option. Tough one, though... because in non-bright room situations, the A1E is just such a better performer.

I'm not sure if Sony is planning a refresh on the Z9 soon... I'll be out at CEDIA in a few weeks. I can see if Sony is willing to chat about future plans!

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Remote Control
Hey Jim!

Very big decisions!

In dark room situations, no question I'd go with the A1E. If the vast majority of your viewing is in very bright room, then I'd probably go with the LCD option. Tough one, though... because in non-bright room situations, the A1E is just such a better performer.

I'm not sure if Sony is planning a refresh on the Z9 soon... I'll be out at CEDIA in a few weeks. I can see if Sony is willing to chat about future plans!

My problem is, it will be in a bright room. That's why I am starting to lean towards the Z9. Sitting in front of one at Best Buy, the blacks are a lot better than my Samsung JS9500.

Regarding Sony at CEDIA. That would be great if you could get a small tid bit regarding any upgrade on the Z9.

My feeling is, after two years, the odds are there will be.

Thanks for the input.

Another way to look it: . Is the 77" A1E worth $9,000 more than the 75" Z9D?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
You'd probably only notice the difference in blacks if you had the two sets sitting side-by-side. The Z9 is quite capable in the realm of dark/shadow detail (partly aided by its insane brightness capabilities).

Just as a point of reference, I have a fairly healthy bank of windows in my family room...no direct sunlight, tho. But, this picture from the GoldenEar XXL review shows what I'm dealing with. I've never had an issue with my LG OLED (in terms of brightness and windows)... not sure if that would be different with direct sunlight.

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 11.52.29 PM.png

As for your question weighing cost. You make a great point. One thing you can bank on: Sales. That 77" price will drop at the holidays. It still won't be comparable to the LCD, but it is going to come down.

Top Bottom