Is there any software that can simulate a room with non-parallell surfaces?

Bebbetufs

My room is really unsuited, but I'm curious if ther is any software that could simulate it. Would be fun.

The right wall is vertical.

Attachments

• Living room.png
    Living room.png
    37 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Geoffrey

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Trinnov
Main Amp
Pascal
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Ascendo CCRM12
Center Channel Speaker
Ascendo CCRM12
Surround Speakers
Ascendo CCRM6
Surround Back Speakers
Ascendo CCRM6
Front Height Speakers
Ascendo CCRM6
Rear Height Speakers
Ascendo CCRM6
Subwoofers
Ascendo SMSG 24
Video Display Device
Sony
Screen
Screen Research
To my Knowledge there is Comsol Multyphysics and there is Odeon, both can do this. Most likely CATT can do it too, i heard about i-simpa may do the trick, Soundflow may help with the calculation of absorbers and diffusion.

Bebbetufs

Thanks for pointing them out. The priceas are out of my league, unfortunately. It would have been fun to have a play around with one of them.

DanDan

Staff member
I have not had good experiences with various simulators and predictors. In a situation with an actual room, actual measurement has to be way better.
REW and other software can provide instant feedback with movements of speakers and or listener, using the Spectrum/RTA
DD

linearphase

I agree completely. In all but the simplest of rooms all simulators fail. Measurements work fine it it does require a degree of skill to effectively use. It has taken me hundreds of hours to get to the point of able to get results that correlate to what you hear.
What are you trying to optimize? How much flexibility do you have!

Bebbetufs

Sorry for the delay. I thought perhaps a dispersion map would be fun to have. I'm not really willing to alter my room much more than I have, but I thought perphaps I might get some new ideas.

DanDan

Staff member
Your ceiling is very near one of the speakers. Some sort of Cloud initiative would probably be very beneficial.
DD

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Linn - Space Optimisation should do the trick. You'll have to use their brand processor and a compatible speaker set, though...They use a custom room building app where you can draw out your room dimensions and specify materials
in the room. A costly but effective solution.

https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/space-optimisation

Bebbetufs

Your ceiling is very near one of the speakers. Some sort of Cloud initiative would probably be very beneficial.
DD
So it is called ceiling, even when slanted! Good to know. I have decided against a cloud because this is my living room. I have thought long and hard about it though. I was thinking perhaps some sort of curtain arrangement might work. but I doubt it will do enough in the mids.

Bpape

I would also trap the wall/ceiling junction as it's acting like the room is one gigantic horn. And unfortunately one that is all the way to the right of the room rather than centered.

Bebbetufs

Just a final update. I've decided that placing bookshelves on the right wall is as far as I can go to try and deal with the right wall reflections. Hopefully it will both diffuse and absorb from that surface. Other than that I really can't do much more to my living room without making it look totally ridiculous, I will purchase an 8 channel MiniDSP and see if I can get some improvement from it.

Top Bottom