Insight Into New SVS Setup

mitchjrj

Hey Folks

Took delivery today of two SVS PB-2000 Pro's for my dedicated room. They occupy the front left/right front corners between the mains and the adjacent side walls. I ran through a preliminary setup this evening with REW (fed by a calibrated UMIK-1 and into a Marantz Cinema 50 via HDMI). Everything on receiver set to flat, crossovers open, level matched at the outset with a slight bump to the subs (77dB) to give some headroom.

Positioning
I started with just one sub, first to evaluate position. Despite this being a dedicated space the options are limited for where the speakers can go, so my placement comparisons were linear starting in the corner and moving forward 3" at a time. Comparing results these two were the clear winners, I elected for Position 5 (the furthest forward, the back of the sub 18" from the front wall, 10" from the side wall). There are tradeoffs with some frequencies going up, some going down, and a shift left in output in one section. I only did this analysis for one side, and duplicated the relative position on the other.

Interested in opinions pro/con for either position. What tradeoffs you find acceptable, what not, other things you look for. See "Position Comparison" screenshot attached.

Alignment
I ran sweeps on left and right subs independently to evaluate any alignment needs. Figured I would incrementally adjust via phase on the SVS app, doing as much at the source as possible. Compared response with inversion and different phase settings on the sub's DSP and all made things worse so left neutral. Using the REW Alignment Tool for the left/right only sweeps showed no delay needed. If I measured, produced, and am reading the associated response correctly I have positive summation across the board and a combined pretty even response. Am I missing something, things to go back and double check, or is this a legitimately good combo? See Alignment screenshot attached for insight.

EQ
Before moving forward with Audyssey (and Dirac) I wanted to get each sub dialled in as best as possible, this included using SVS' integrated parametric EQ via their app. Figure do as much at the source as possible. I input the individual left and right sweeps into REW's EQ and targeted a flat curve just to even things out. Then manually transferred the recommended frequency/gain/Q to the app. Turns out for both subs the suggested correction was only two bands, leaving one more each for further tweaking as necessary (there are a couple of dips in the 30–40Hz range I should treat).

Attached are screenshots for both subs and the combined result. Again, interested in your collective wisdom on workflow, thought process, approach, other things to look out for, suggested next steps.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SVS REW Position Comparison.png
    SVS REW Position Comparison.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 14
  • SVS REW Alignment.png
    SVS REW Alignment.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SVS REW Equalization Both.png
    SVS REW Equalization Both.png
    35 KB · Views: 12
  • SVS REW Equalization Left.png
    SVS REW Equalization Left.png
    36 KB · Views: 13
  • SVS REW Equalization RIght.png
    SVS REW Equalization RIght.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 15

sm52

It is impossible to give useful advice based on these screenshots. If you post an mdat file of measurements of all speakers from one location, usually a central listening location, then there might be something to be said.

Top Bottom