Improvements worth considering?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Well done, jrobbins. This was exactly what I wanted to see. And it was a good thing that you included both left and right speaker. I assume you have been very diligent with the microphone placement here. The left and right speaker are only 1 sample apart in distance, which is somewhere between laser measurement error and random. And if there was a timing error in the measurement they would not be as well time aligned as here.

I believe you are good to go here.

jrobbins50

Well, Bernt. You don’t think I could leave well enough alone….

Since the measurements and filters we addressed above, I have had some physical room treatments. Specifically, we blew cellulose insulation into the ceiling cavity, strengthened the fake wall behind the mains and subs with 5/8” Sheetrock and Green Glue and installed large sound diffuser panels on the real back wall of the equipment space behind the fake wall.

I also have new surrounds, but they aren’t the issue at hand.

As you can see in the simulation before the treatments, I had substantial bass down to 18Hz. After the treatments, with new measurements of course, the bass falls off by 10dB+ below 30Hz. So, the bass now sounds anemic in comparison. It looks to me that there is plenty of bass in the lower register from the filtered measurement, but when correcting, even with the prevent bass bloat off, using a mid-frequency boost at 19Hz and up to 25dB of correction, I get the result you see above.

The fake wall behind the mains and subs vibrated significantly before the treatments and I’m sure the equipment room behind the wall acted to enhance the effect. I suppose that the bass is now tighter, but subjectively not as intense.

Your thoughts on what I could do with AL now? Thanks. JCR

Attachments

• BBEF5F5A-3C0F-41D7-A571-13B499E23421.jpeg
    BBEF5F5A-3C0F-41D7-A571-13B499E23421.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 23
  • CCAC8B2B-269B-4C69-B814-808B8EA03E20.jpeg
    CCAC8B2B-269B-4C69-B814-808B8EA03E20.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom