How to identify and fix specific frequency issues?

needhelp

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rane AC23 Crossover
Main Amp
Crown MA3600
Additional Amp
Crown MA 3600
Other Amp
QSC Powerlight 2.8
Computer Audio
HP Desktop PC
Subwoofers
EAW SB1000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Peavey mf1-x horn, EV Eliminator i
Streaming Equipment
DJ/Radio mp3 software
I have thought about that many times [thanks]. Issue with that is I cannot have the subs in the walkway. I had then thought about instead of going with a DJ system to try a surround type system but I think won't make sense since I cannot physically have the subs just anywhere I would like in the room. Also it's not like I can put subs on the walls, at least not 15 or 18" subs.

needhelp

Registered
More  
Rane AC23 Crossover
Main Amp
Crown MA3600
Additional Amp
Crown MA 3600
Other Amp
QSC Powerlight 2.8
Computer Audio
HP Desktop PC
Subwoofers
EAW SB1000
Streaming Equipment
DJ/Radio mp3 software
About the only thing I forgot to mention which I had thought of was to put an omnidirectional sun right smack in the middle of the empty space, this what no matter where you walk or sit around it one should hear around the same bass but even that I am not sure of.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That could make things worse rather than better. Try the room simulator to see how the response changes with a sub acting as a source placed in different positions within the room.

needhelp

Registered
More  
Rane AC23 Crossover
Main Amp
Crown MA3600
Additional Amp
Crown MA 3600
Other Amp
QSC Powerlight 2.8
Computer Audio
HP Desktop PC
Subwoofers
EAW SB1000
Streaming Equipment
DJ/Radio mp3 software
Sounds like a great idea thanks. I guess I can try sometime that with my surround 10" powered sub.

needhelp

Registered
More  
Rane AC23 Crossover
Main Amp
Crown MA3600
Additional Amp
Crown MA 3600
Other Amp
QSC Powerlight 2.8
Computer Audio
HP Desktop PC
Subwoofers
EAW SB1000
Streaming Equipment
DJ/Radio mp3 software
Hi John, as an update to this situation I am hoping you might be able to advise on this new development please?

Few days ago I turned on my equipment as normal and no sound from my passive EAW SB1000Sub. So to test, I pulled out the speakers and removed the cable and plugged into my EV Eliminator i Series 15" full range speakers:

https://av.loyola.com/products/audio/ev-eliminator-i.html

and I cannot believe the bass I am getting from it, I mean serious "punch"! Also, I was totally surprised that I was getting the bass more evenly now anywhere in the room. So as a test I placed the EV's in the middle along the back wall but facing the side walls as that was the position they were in when I had tested them in the middle of the room. I got the same result!

As was known before, the placement of the sub in this crappy room is everything. I had first placed the two 15's at the back wall facing forward like the EAW and they sounded crappy but when I turned them to the side facing the side wall BIG difference.

So now I want to do the same with the EAW by placing it at the back wall but facing the side walls instead of facing forward. What I would like to know is if this would be safe for the woofers in the EAW. Reason being, with the smaller EV's there is about 10" free space on both front and back between the 2 storage shelves on both sides of it so not much or any issue I think. This is a pic of the situation attached. Those are the EV's with the side view with the red arrows showing the space on both sides between the shelving on the left and right of the speakers.

With the EAW however, if I should place in in that spot it will be a tight fit so not much free space at all between the front of it and the shelves. I am thinking the contents of the shelves will block the waves from the woofers? Any thoughts/advice on this please?

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 10

needhelp

Registered
More  
Rane AC23 Crossover
Main Amp
Crown MA3600
Additional Amp
Crown MA 3600
Other Amp
QSC Powerlight 2.8
Computer Audio
HP Desktop PC
Subwoofers
EAW SB1000
Streaming Equipment
DJ/Radio mp3 software
Actually John, on further testing with using the full range EV's as subs. I realize if i keep the bass volume level high but at a certain level and not overdriven there is only one area in the room like 8' away from the speaker where I hear a vibration type nolse but nothing is actually vibrating.

There is a sidedoor at that location, the door is closed but it's along the line of that door from left to right that I hear the noise and that spot seems to be where the bass is the weakest. This was the same situation with the EAW's placed in it's normal spot at the back wall and facing forward.

Top Bottom