hi, its my first time here, and need help about 2 subwoofers

carlos61162

Registered
I have $ 500 to buy a subwoofer. Now I have a Velodyne 12 inch in my living room, and it sounds great, I have no complaints about it, but I want to upgrade it. My room is not big, nor is it small, it's like medium. The thing is, I've been watching subwoofer for that price. My interest is just music, not movies or anything like that, just music, and I'm very special for good quality sounds. so I have 2 options to choose from. the svs pb1000 and the monoprice monolith 10 thx. and I see that the two are quite similar in every way. so I need you to help me choose one of those two. thanks for your attention

carlos61162

Registered
Another interesting thing is that I never turn up the volume so high, I only listen to myself and my family, I don't need great power, but very good quality of bass, very serious, and any subwoofer does not give those serious so precious.With my velodyne, I listen to the bass, the good bass, but I don't feel them in my chest, that sensation of feeling the deep bass I don't have in my living room.and I'm not a rich man, it's hard for me to raise that money, so I can't spend more than that $ 500

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Hello Carlos, you would be happy with either subs you mention above. I really like the SVS subs but the Monolith series are also getting great reviews. You might be able to keep both the new sub and your Velodyne hooked up and place them in two different locations in your room. that would help smooth out the bass and it would likely sound better.

carlos61162

Registered
but, I need help to see which of those other two I could choose according to your wisdom

carlos61162

Registered
you know something?I am 57 years old, I am a person of a very special musical ear, according to my father (he too). I arrived in this country 15 years ago, I come from a very poor country, and the things I had with my father were old devices from the 50s rebuilt, and we built great speakers and we had more or less a decent medium music system. so I can say that I have been reborn 15 years ago. In this country it has rained my happiness with so many beautiful audio things, I am fascinated. and little by little in these years I have been able to make equipment for my audio system. and it is not easy my friend, when you want to have a good audio system, you have to spend good money for good things, but I feel very happy to be able to get them little by little. And thanks for reading this. i know this is not your business to read my life, but is nice to tell someone

carlos61162

Registered
You know what was the first audio equipment that I had in my hands when I arrived in this country. Well, I'll tell you that 15 years ago people put the things they didn't want at the door of their house so that other people who needed it could pick them up. and I found 2 floor standing speaker JBL L100. and I knew about the JBL brand, but I didn't know about those special speakers. I simply took them to my house and kept them until I had an amplifier to listen to them. And they sounded wonderful. 10 years later I found out that they were very good speakers, and someone was interested in buying it for me, so I sold them for $ 350, and I bought some really good Klipsch floor standing speakers, I love them. This is part of my early childhood in this country

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Hi carlos61162 and welcome to the forum.
I'm going to agree with Tony. Both of your choices are good quality and good value.
I would lean toward SVS not because it will be better, but because they are very easy to deal with if the product doesn't meet your expectations and you wish to return it. Tony's suggesting using 2 subwoofers is also a good one, but it can take a bit of effort to integrate 2 subs optimally.

carlos61162

Registered
I think that idea is great, and I plan to take it, and if you tell me that the svs is a better option, go ahead with that

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I would lean slightly to SVS as well so go for it!

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
Other Speakers or Equipment
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
Well I'm going to be the contrarian here but if your use is entirely music and your musical ear is what you say it is, an SVS PB is not the right sub for you.

Your best option at that price is going to be a Rythmik L12. If you can save up a bit more, the L22 will give you more.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

carlos61162

Registered
Yes, I see that Rythmik l22 and l12 are quite good subwoofer, but my budget only reaches 500, also on eBay one guy sell a used Rythmik l12 for 400, but that is not what I want, I prefer to spend the 500 for a new one, so I have no other option for now, I still think about the svs, but thanks, your suggestion is very valuable

carlos61162

Registered
Now watching and watching on the internet, I have been observing that an SVS PB12 appeared to me, and I would like to talk to me about it. Regarding choosing between SVS PB1000 or SVS PB12, I would be more inclined to PB12, but I listen to suggestions

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
Yes, I see that Rythmik l22 and l12 are quite good subwoofer, but my budget only reaches 500, also on eBay one guy sell a used Rythmik l12 for 400, but that is not what I want, I prefer to spend the 500 for a new one, so I have no other option for now, I still think about the svs, but thanks, your suggestion is very valuable
There is a big difference in the way an SVS PB and a Rythmik will sound with music. You're going to have the sub for a long time. See if you can come up the $50...

carlos61162

Registered
my friend, I will think about it and I will determine if I keep a little more time and buy the Rythmik, let's see, maybe you are absolutely right

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Now watching and watching on the internet, I have been observing that an SVS PB12 appeared to me, and I would like to talk to me about it. Regarding choosing between SVS PB1000 or SVS PB12, I would be more inclined to PB12, but I listen to suggestions

I should have remembered that SVS offers the PB12 NSD and SB12 NSD subwoofers each year, toward the end of the year, at a discount. The PB12 NSD is right at your budget. It's a really good value when you can get one at that price.
I just checked Amazon USA and there are a couple still available at that price HERE

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Hi Carlos,

Of the 2 companies you are considering, I think that customer service should also be a consideration. I have purchased SVS subs in the past and their customer service was great. I had problems with one sub after purchasing it and they worked with me (via phone and email) to get it corrected. A month after purchasing the sub, I decided to return it and there were no questions asked.

I never had a Monolith, but I've read that they are also excellent subs. However I've also read that their customer service isn't as good. Something to consider.

Good luck with your decision.

carlos61162

Registered
OK, NOW I HAVE ANOTHER ANALYSIS TO CONSIDER, IT RESULTS THAT A FRIEND TALKED ABOUT ME A GOOD OPTION TO BUY A Nht MA1 Amplifier And The Nht Sw2P Passive Woofer, They Have 21Hz.
what do you think that option instead of the svs. This option is much cheaper and has very good sound, it would be like $ 200 less

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
OK, NOW I HAVE ANOTHER ANALYSIS TO CONSIDER, IT RESULTS THAT A FRIEND TALKED ABOUT ME A GOOD OPTION TO BUY A Nht MA1 Amplifier And The Nht Sw2P Passive Woofer, They Have 21Hz.
what do you think that option instead of the svs. This option is much cheaper and has very good sound, it would be like $ 200 less

If your original budget of $500 is unchanged then I would opt for the SVS PB-12 NSD that you can currently get from Amazon for $500. It is a 12" sub and will have more output than the 10" options and this will be a benefit in a "medium" size room. The link to the PB-12 NSD on Amazons site is Here.

Check out these reviews and measurements for each:
Link to Review and Measurements of PB12 NSD
Link to NHT SW2P and MA1 Amp Review and Measurements

Top Bottom