Help Getting started with Audiolense

richardnew12511

I've downloaded the demo for audiolense.

I select what I want to demo "XO". Then I select my configuration "7.2", then I click ok, and then the app just closes and that's it. I've check in the task manager to confirm that there no processes running.

What am I doing wrong?

Platform is Windows 10.

richardnew12511

Hey Richard, this is Windows 10 audio using HDMI to an AVR and out to the speakers right? I think @jrobbins50 and @Omid have some experience setting this up and may be able to help.

Kind regards,
Mitch

Yes that's correct. I tried all combinations of configurations, and all resulted in Audiolense simply closing with no error. I'm guessing this is a bug with Audiolense.

It may have something to do with this being the demo, but I'm hesitant to pay the $500 to buy the full product until I can get the demo to start.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Hi Rirchard,

This is not an Audiolense bug.

Something may be wrong with your operative system. Try to update to most recent dodnet and visual c++ as described on the download page. If that doesn't help, check that windows defender doesn't refuse write-access to "my documents".

jrobbins50

Let’s have you work through Bernt’s stuff first. If you are doing MCH over HDMI, I’ve used AL XO in four of my MCH systems so far, and I’m a Windows guy, so perhaps I’ll be able to help as @Mitchco suggests. JCR

richardnew12511

I should have time this weekend to try some of this. Trying to fix a physical issue with the speakers themselves atm. I've got a bunch of different versions of visual c++ installed, so something with that or the .net framework seems likely. This machine unfortunately came with a lot of junk that I really need to go through and clean up(McAfee being the biggest thorn).

richardnew12511

Can an admin disable the "need to 10 posts" lock on my account so that I can post my message? I'm trying to link to a youtube video demonstrating the issue and also show my device and windows settings.

richardnew12511

Turns out it was a bug related to the 64bit version and it's interaction with my machine(brand new windows machine purchased specifically to run audiolense).

So I've got it started now, but still running into several bugs/errors.

richardnew12511

Sorry to keep posting so much in a row, but I'm still testing, and I figure all debug information is useful.

PC is using HDMI out to a Denon X4400H. I also purchased a second new Windows Machine at BestBuy(will return), and I get the same measurement issues on the new machine(though oddly both the 64bit and 32bit versions of Audiolense start on this machine. Measurement errors are the same, though.

Measurement errors are:

If I do any other config other than 2.0, I get "this measurement session is not supported by the soundcard". If I run 2.0, it will let me measure, but I get errors with any input/output config I try. HDMI out is configured via windows for 7.1. I don't really know how to configure ASIO4All, as none of the buttons in the control panel work. I tried both HDMI(Wasapi) and ASIO4All as output, and Line in(UMIK-2) and ASIO4All as input.

I also tried 2 different mics, UMIK-1 and UMIK-2.

I've also ordered a new UMIK-1, as my current UMIK-1 has USB-C issues(it's super lose and sensitive to touch).
My UMIK-2 works for REW measurements, but Dirac Live complains that the signal to noise ratio is too high, so I wasn't totally surprised when Audiolense said maybe? the same.

Hopefully, the new UMIK-1 will work.

Any other things I can try?

richardnew12511

Does the Denon have a proper driver?

I don't know, but I do think the Denon is likely the root of the problem. I bought another PC from best buy to test if the windows machine was at fault, but that new PC ran into the exact same issues. I'm thinking that rules out the Windows 10 machine. I'm using ASIO4All. I was under the impression that would work for most AVRs, do you think I need an AVR specific driver?

richardnew12511

I don't know Richard. I have never used an AVR myself.
No worries. Anyone else here using Audiolense with an AVR?

I have 10 posts now. So I can start posting pictures :).

Below is my ASIO4All control panel with Roon playing(it doesn't seem to show up in the taskbar otherwise).

Last edited:

Mitchco

Hi Richard, can you show the Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback devices?

Also, I am presuming the HDMI cable is plugged into both the computer and AVR and AVR turned on?

What is that NVIDIA HD Audio? Is that not the HDMI driver? Once you highlight it in Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback Devices, click on Configure and see if it supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround...

On another setup there is an AVR driver:

AVR Driver.jpg

But on yours looks like that NVIDIA audio driver may be for the HDMI output.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
If you have anything in Roon open while you attempt to do a measurement it may block the sound card inputs.

richardnew12511

Hi Richard, can you show the Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback devices?

Also, I am presuming the HDMI cable is plugged into both the computer and AVR and AVR turned on?

What is that NVIDIA HD Audio? Is that not the HDMI driver? Once you highlight it in Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback Devices, click on Configure and see if it supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround...

But on yours looks like that NVIDIA audio driver may be for the HDMI output.

Below are my plaback devices in control panel. I've configured it to 7.1, and using the test function plays sounds from all the speakers as expected.

jrobbins50

Ok so I would ensure that when you do your AL measurements, ASIO4all should show the NVIDIA high definition audio as only the playback device and the UMIK mic as the only input device. Then, in AL’s measurement window, select ASIO4all as both playback and microphone choices. If that doesn’t work, share what AL shows as all of the measurement screen playback devices and microphone input devices. You may also have to play with the output channel assignments on the AL measurement page so that you hear all 7.1 channels properly when you run the check speaker connections test on the AL measurement screen. JCR

richardnew12511

This is the error I see whenever I try to do anything other than 2.0. As a test, I was able to use Dirac live in 7 channel mode, so I'm thinking the error is something to do with ASIO4All(I don't think Dirac uses that).

In the ASIO4All control panel, I've unselected everything except the HDMI out and UMIK-2.

Also, below are my audiolense advanced settings.

jrobbins50

hulkss, he’s already configured in Windows as 7.1. Richardnew2511, try a 5.1 setup in Windows. It seems you are only using 4 DAC channels anyway for a 2.2 configuration. And tick the use separate play and recording streams. I’m not sure that will make a difference; but I would try. I take it you never are able to test speaker connections because you are getting the error message before then? Are you running AL on the same PC as your HDMI output is coming from? I will tell you that I use my laptop for measuring and my PC just for the playback. Again, not sure this will make any difference. JCR

Top Bottom