Help & Advice needed for using REW for a 36 channel multi immersive studio setup

Neil Watson

Registered
Hi all,

hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

i am building a immersive recording studio which will do most stereo, Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D and Ambersonics mixing and mastering.

it will also have normal stereo studio monitors for tracking, mixing and mastering.

How can i use REW to perfectly tune and align each of these speakers at 2 location points within the room?

I was thinking of using Genelec’s GLM4 system but may not use their Sam Smart Speakers.

How great a job can i do with REW?

I will be managing the speakers with an Avid MTRX interface with the SPQ card and DADMon software and monitor controller.

Please do let me know all your thoughts and advice.

VERY much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Neil

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As long as you can route the test signal to each of the speakers it should be straightforward to measure them all. If "tune and align" means gain adjustments and applying some selective EQ there isn't much more needed, beyond a means of applying EQ filters. The 2 locations will almost certainly have different responses so any EQ you apply would need to be a compromise. If you also want to time align the speakers a timing reference will be needed, that can either be one of the speakers (e.g. left front) using REW's acoustic timing reference or a loopback connection on an unused interface output and input. Time alignment would be specific to a single location, of course.

Neil Watson

Registered
Hi John,

Hope you are keeping safe and well.

Ok cool and thank you soo much.

Kind regards,

Neil

BrentHauer

Registered
John, any chance we will see the DAD SPQ filter settings included in a future REW release? There's a couple that are close, but none of them match the number of filters with the correct gain limits, at least as far as I can tell.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There will eventually be a configurable equaliser option, it is on the todo list, but some way off.

sm52

John
1. Is it correct to specify the same driver for acoustic synchronization as measured?
2. If there is a goal to measure several drivers in one speaker from one point in space in this way, should the test signal for all measurements be sended to the same driver?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
1. Is it correct to specify the same driver for acoustic synchronization as measured?
2. If there is a goal to measure several drivers in one speaker from one point in space in this way, should the test signal for all measurements be sended to the same driver?
The timing reference signal should go to the same source for all measurements, the source must be capable of reproducing it.

Top Bottom