Subwoofers
a pair Funk audio classic 18E
Other Speakers or Equipment
-
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal and qobus
Hi all!

Here is a new question for the forum.
ive made a filter based on the standard time allignment filter with only change to the max correction boost from 6db to 10 db.
This is the result:

Should i lower the output on my subs prior to the measurement? so i dont get -15 db output from the filter...
I got no headroom on my setup with this filter...

How can i make the timealignement without changing the frequency responce?

i would love to just do timealignment only on my setup.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You do not get -15 dB output from the filters here. Look at the correction filters to examine gain loss. I’m m guessing around 7-8 dB here.

peelbone

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Karan kal mk3
Main Amp
Karan kas 400
Additional Amp
-
Other Amp
-
Computer Audio
-
DAC
Auralic vega g2
Front Speakers
Marten django xl
Center Channel Speaker
-
Front Wide Speakers
-
Surround Speakers
-
Surround Back Speakers
-
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
-
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal and qobus
Okej you are probaly right.
the problem here is that i need to set headroom of atleast -3db in roon so the signal wont clipp during playback.
At this point i have practicaly lowered the expected volume with -10db wich is a bit much for me.

is there an option not to lower db and still get timealign?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You could try the Audiolense convolver. It rund for free in ca 3 months. In Audiolense convolver you can take monitor for digital clipping and even amplified the signal if you want to. Often you cannset the volume to +3-4 dB without getting any clipping.

peelbone

Registered
More  
Karan kal mk3
Main Amp
Karan kas 400
Additional Amp
-
Other Amp
-
Computer Audio
-
DAC
Auralic vega g2
Front Speakers
Marten django xl
Center Channel Speaker
-
Front Wide Speakers
-
Surround Speakers
-
Surround Back Speakers
-
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
-
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal and qobus
What is Audiolense convolver?

i can still use roon?

Omid

This tripped me for a while too. My understanding is that your rate limiting step is not how high your frequency curve goes but how low it dips. You could crank up your sub even more, it wouldn't make your loss any worse (AL would just dial down your sub, but not the mains).

Imagine you're playing a signal at full volume (0dBFS). Your main speaker speaker would dip down at ~260Hz (based on the filtered curve you posted). If you simply boosted 260Hz, you'd have a signal above 0dBFS, which would clip. There is no way to have a flat response curve, unless you lower the whole signal down to match the dip.

If I've understood correctly how AL works, when you say 10dB boost, AL lowers the whole signal by up to 10db (7-8 dB in your case), and then boosts the dips to get a reasonable flat response, without clipping. Try dialing a 30dB boost in AL, you'll see the replay volume won't come out that different, because AL judges that it only needs 7-8 dB to give you a flat curve.

In short, you can't have your cake and eat it too: impose a target that implies signal attenuation, use an imperfect speaker with highs and lows, and expect an unattenuated flat response.

You can mitigate the problem by making sure your DAC voltage output at 0dBFS matches exactly your amp or pre-amps' input sensitivity. Ideally, you have an amp with high gain and/or a speaker that's sensitive so the loss of 7-8dB still allows you to play as loud as you wish.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
^^ Audiolense is a convolver. It appears as a sound card in Roon, so yes, the two can be used together.

peelbone

Registered
More  
Karan kal mk3
Main Amp
Karan kas 400
Additional Amp
-
Other Amp
-
Computer Audio
-
DAC
Auralic vega g2
Front Speakers
Marten django xl
Center Channel Speaker
-
Front Wide Speakers
-
Surround Speakers
-
Surround Back Speakers
-
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
-
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal and qobus
This tripped me for a while too. My understanding is that your rate limiting step is not how high your frequency curve goes but how low it dips. You could crank up your sub even more, it wouldn't make your loss any worse (AL would just dial down your sub, but not the mains).

Imagine you're playing a signal at full volume (0dBFS). Your main speaker speaker would dip down at ~260Hz (based on the filtered curve you posted). If you simply boosted 260Hz, you'd have a signal above 0dBFS, which would clip. There is no way to have a flat response curve, unless you lower the whole signal down to match the dip.

If I've understood correctly how AL works, when you say 10dB boost, AL lowers the whole signal by up to 10db (7-8 dB in your case), and then boosts the dips to get a reasonable flat response, without clipping. Try dialing a 30dB boost in AL, you'll see the replay volume won't come out that different, because AL judges that it only needs 7-8 dB to give you a flat curve.

In short, you can't have your cake and eat it too: impose a target that implies signal attenuation, use an imperfect speaker with highs and lows, and expect an unattenuated flat response.

You can mitigate the problem by making sure your DAC voltage output at 0dBFS matches exactly your amp or pre-amps' input sensitivity. Ideally, you have an amp with high gain and/or a speaker that's sensitive so the loss of 7-8dB still allows you to play as loud as you wish.

Okej!
This is good info!
My dac has several gain settings: -6db (1,7 vrms) -3db (2,4vrms) 0db(4,1vrms) +3db(4,8vrms) +6db(6,8vrms).

My preamp has sensitivity 2.0 v so i guess -3db is best for it with out AL XO filters.
So if Al XO filter makes my gain 7-8db lower + headroom in Roon -3db i can safely switch output on my dac to + 6db?

peelbone

Registered
More  
Karan kal mk3
Main Amp
Karan kas 400
Additional Amp
-
Other Amp
-
Computer Audio
-
DAC
Auralic vega g2
Front Speakers
Marten django xl
Center Channel Speaker
-
Front Wide Speakers
-
Surround Speakers
-
Surround Back Speakers
-
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
-
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal and qobus
Thanks alot =)

Badbruno

More  
ExaSound S88
Main Amp
Polaris Audio
Additional Amp
Polaris Audio
Other Amp
Polaris Audio
Computer Audio
Mac mini and IMac 27
DAC
ExaSound S88
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
VPI Prime turntable
Front Speakers
Custom open baffle 3 way
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD12+
Streaming Equipment
Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Roon Quobuz
Okej!
This is good info!
My dac has several gain settings: -6db (1,7 vrms) -3db (2,4vrms) 0db(4,1vrms) +3db(4,8vrms) +6db(6,8vrms).

My preamp has sensitivity 2.0 v so i guess -3db is best for it with out AL XO filters.
So if Al XO filter makes my gain 7-8db lower + headroom in Roon -3db i can safely switch output on my dac to + 6db?
Why not set your gains up at the Std 0 db across the board. If you have a multi meter you could set it such that preamp and amp gives you max gain without clipping .. then you won’t be leaving head room on the table

Top Bottom