Computer
Main Amp
Gemini XP3000
Additional Amp
Samson SERVO 600
Other Amp
Samson SERVO 200 and Yamaha STR-DB840
Hi,

The request is to add a simple arithmetic operator to calculate the maximal frequency amplitude between multiple measurements (two measurements or a set of measurements like the RMS averaging).

Why ? According to the paper "Estimating head-related transfer functions of human subjects from pressure-velocity measurements" from Marko Hiipakka, Teemu Kinnari and Ville Pulkki, and my understanding of this paper, a way to accurately reproduce the SPL signal at the eardrum is to estimate the total acoustic density in the ear canal. This is because the total acoustic density can be assumed constant in the ear canal and because total acoustic density ~= kinetic energy + potential energy, with kinetic energy being 0 because the eardrum have high impedance and therefore the air particles have no velocity, and the potential energy is directly related to SPL.

As a result, it may be interesting for researchers (or novices like me :p) to make multiple measurements with a microphone at different insertion depth in the ear canal. In some measurements, the SPL will be maximal for some frequencies, corresponding to a point in space where the kinetic energy is nearly 0, and hence by estimating the maximal SPL value of each frequencies in the ear canal, one may able to determine the total energy density (up to a squaring of the SPL value and a factor 1/2*rho*c² but this doesn't matter: what matters is the shape of the frequency curve).

I hope you will consider implementing this feature, because I believe that the total energy density is also what should be equalized in a Room, and not the SPL or the spectral average of SPL measurements.

Best regards,
Jean

Jean Ibarz

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Computer
Main Amp
Gemini XP3000
Additional Amp
Samson SERVO 600
Other Amp
Samson SERVO 200 and Yamaha STR-DB840
I think you can close or delete this thread, I think it is in the wrong forum section. I created another thread here.

Top Bottom