DTS:X Pro (and More) Officially Lands on Select Marantz and Denon Gear

full?d=1605107964.png

(November 11, 2020) Sound United has launched its latest firmware update for select Marantz and Denon AV receivers, introducing exciting new technologies and restoring Dolby Center Spread functionality. Headlining the release is the arrival of DTS:X Pro, which increases decoding to 13-channels as compared to standard DTS:X. DTS Neural:X sees a similar injection of capabilities, now offering 13-channels of decoding performance. Notably, two flagship models, Denon’s AVR-X8500H and Marantz’s AV8805, gain Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization technology and support for front wide speakers during Dolby Surround playback.

The firmware update delivers varied improvements across 2019 and 2020 models, as described below:
  • DTS:X Pro (Denon AVR-X6700H and Marantz SR8015 as well as the Denon AVR-X8500H, AVR-A110 and the Marantz AV8805)
  • Dolby Center Spread feature (2019 and 2020 AVR lineup)
  • Dolby Surround Front Wide support (Denon AVR-X8500H and Marantz AV8805)
  • Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology (Denon AVR-X8500H and the Marantz AV8805)
  • DTS Neural:X capability on Dolby content for 2019 AVR lineup (2020 lineup supports it out of box)
  • 180Hz crossover settings
  • New crossover settings for IMAX (80Hz for the speakers + sub and 120Hz for LFE)
  • Screen Saver function for 2020 AVR lineup
  • Power-up volume level default fix for 2020 AVR lineup
  • MPEG-H 3D Audio support on select 2020 Denon and Marantz premium AVRs sold in Europe, Asia and China

Randy L

Wow, what an update! - Thanks for reporting Todd!... Curiously, I have the Marantz SR7012 which also received an update. I wonder what changed? I think it's a 2017-18 model.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hi @Randy L , the SR7012 is a great piece of gear. I ran one after reviewing it for over a year. Loved it!

As for the update, as far as I know, Marantz doesn't publish change logs for its firmware updates, so unless Marantz sends me something specifically, it's hard to know what's happening from model to model. Let me reach out to a contact and see if I can get some details for you.

k7kz

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X6700H
Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch
Surround Speakers
Klipsch
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch
Subwoofers
Klipsch
Video Display Device
Sony
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
I have had my AVR-X6700H set to automatically update and I checked the level of firmware. It lists a number but no date or any information to tell me what has been updated and when. How can I tell if I have the latest firmware installed? I also noticed that Denon has changed their website and I can't find any of my receivers serial numbers listed anymore. What the heck is going on there?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
@k7kz, if you go into your settings, you can tell your receiver to check for a new firmware update. As far as I know, that's the only way you can check to see if it's current.

I've put in a request to see if we can get some info on the change log, if/when I get a response, I'll ask.

Randy L

I have had my AVR-X6700H set to automatically update and I checked the level of firmware. It lists a number but no date or any information to tell me what has been updated and when. How can I tell if I have the latest firmware installed? I also noticed that Denon has changed their website and I can't find any of my receivers serial numbers listed anymore. What the heck is going on there?
I think if you go to the AVS forum you will find Denon and Marantz dedicated threads which are model specific keeping current with firmware updates.

k7kz

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X6700H
Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch
Surround Speakers
Klipsch
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch
Subwoofers
Klipsch
Video Display Device
Sony
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
I think if you go to the AVS forum you will find Denon and Marantz dedicated threads which are model specific keeping current with firmware updates.
The problem is that if I check it 2 weeks ago it says it's up to date. An update occurs the next day, and I check it this week and it says it's up to date but I have no way of knowing if an update occurred. In other words, it will always tell me it's up to date.

Randy L

The problem is that if I check it 2 weeks ago it says it's up to date. An update occurs the next day, and I check it this week and it says it's up to date but I have no way of knowing if an update occurred. In other words, it will always tell me it's up to date.
You can do what I did and turn ON 'Upgrade Notification', But turn OFF 'Auto Update' (two different menu options) That way when there is an update avaliable your receiver will notify you on-screen when you first turn it on and you can agree to it then. That way you will know what's going on. (And when) ...And I know it's confusing but also leave 'Allow Update' ON (a third menu option) as this just simply allows you to update your machine. And finally make sure you have 'Network Control' turned ON so it can look for updates whether your machine is on or off (in standby mode). - Who designs these menu options anyway? My god! :)

Last edited:

k7kz

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X6700H
Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch
Surround Speakers
Klipsch
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch
Subwoofers
Klipsch
Video Display Device
Sony
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
@k7kz, if you go into your settings, you can tell your receiver to check for a new firmware update. As far as I know, that's the only way you can check to see if it's current.

I've put in a request to see if we can get some info on the change log, if/when I get a response, I'll ask.
Thank you.
You can do what I did and turn ON 'Upgrade Notification', But turn OFF 'Auto Update' (two different menu options) That way when there is an update avaliable your receiver will notify you on-screen when you first turn it on and you can agree to it then. That way you will know what's going on. (And when) ...And I know it's confusing but also leave 'Allow Update' ON (a third menu option) as this just simply allows you to update your machine. And finally make sure you have 'Network Control' turned ON so it can look for updates whether your machine is on or off (in standby mode). - Who designs these menu options anyway? My god! :)
Yes. That's what I've done. Thanks.
I'm curious. Have you been notified recently of the update for DTS:X pro?

Randy L

Thank you.

Yes. That's what I've done. Thanks.
I'm curious. Have you been notified recently of the update for DTS:X pro?
I got a recent update, but I don't think it included the DTS-X Pro. I have the Marantz SR7012 which is a few years old. I don't think it will get that particular portion of the update... And It really doesn't tell you what's in the update. That's why I asked Todd if he knew. He's checking for us now.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Wow, what an update! - Thanks for reporting Todd!... Curiously, I have the Marantz SR7012 which also received an update. I wonder what changed? I think it's a 2017-18 model.

Hey @Randy L , brief good news, bad news. Sound United doesn't publicly release change logs ... that's the bad news. I did get some information about the SR7012 update (good news). Aside from a few small tweaks to address issues that may have been found, the biggest change is an improvement to Amazon Music HD playback. Wish I could give you more specifics... but that's what I've got for ya ;-)

Randy L

Hey @Randy L , brief good news, bad news. Sound United doesn't publicly release change logs ... that's the bad news. I did get some information about the SR7012 update (good news). Aside from a few small tweaks to address issues that may have been found, the biggest change is an improvement to Amazon Music HD playback. Wish I could give you more specifics... but that's what I've got for ya ;-)
That's great! Thanks Todd! I really appreciate you looking into this for me. (For us)... Although I don't use Amazon Music HD, it's nice to know that it will be there if I ever decide to use it. And Marantz has been very good in terms of updates throughout the life-cycle of the product so I feel I have received great value.... Keep up the good work and great articles!. :)

rszk

Hi folks. I was also having trouble updating my Denon x6700h and had auto updates enabled.
My resolution was to unplug the AVR to fully turn it off. Once you turn plug it in and turn it on it will check for and complete the update.
I hope this helps.
cheers

Top Bottom