Does Changing An Amplifier Mean I Have To Remeasure Everything?

Trdat

I might, switch my amp to my mid woofer(midrange) in my tri-amp system from a Hypex NC502MP to a NC122MP in BTL. Does that have detrimental affect on impulse repsonse or group delay or any other factor inlfuencing sound?

Regarding gain, I am not too fussed as I often switch the gain from the minidsp volume control depending on the genre of music.

Trdat

My limited understanding is that with the Hypex amplifiers in BTL you have to invert one side of the wiring which will put the two amplifier channels out of phase. Does this mean that my woofers will be out of phase?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
No need to remeasure with these amps. Only needed if you switch between amps that adds coloration.

Trdat

No need to remeasure with these amps. Only needed if you switch between amps that adds coloration.
Yes, these amps are tranparent. I just thought the phase maybe played a role when switching to BTL mode....

Thanks.... This is good news.

Trdat

Yes, these amps are tranparent. I just thought the phase maybe played a role when switching to BTL mode....

Thanks.... This is good news.
My apologies just read the spec sheet and apparently the phase doesn't change in BTL mode...

Badbruno

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
ExaSound S88
Main Amp
Polaris Audio
Additional Amp
Polaris Audio
Other Amp
Polaris Audio
Computer Audio
Mac mini and IMac 27
DAC
ExaSound S88
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
VPI Prime turntable
Front Speakers
Custom open baffle 3 way
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD12+
Streaming Equipment
Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Roon Quobuz
I would check the spec sheet and determine if the amplifiers gain is the same between your existing amp and the new model. If there is a gain difference you need to retest.

Top Bottom