Discs Ain't Dead Yet: 300-Plus GameStop and Fred Meyer Grocery Stores to Carry Dune: Part Two, and more, on Physical Disc

full?d=1715384341.png

(May 10, 2024) In recent months, physical media fans have watched their medium of choice take a beating. First, we grappled with Disney ceasing DVD and Blu-ray sales in AustraliaGuardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was the last release to ship to the land down under. Then came news that Best Buy was cutting physical media sales from its brick-and-mortar locations – a tough pill to swallow for collectors who like purchasing films in person. And, most recently, Target announced that movie discs were largely being cut from stores nationwide.

It hasn't been pretty.

Today, however, disc fanatics were treated to a small glimmer of good news: two retail chains have opened their doors to our old friend Mr. Disc, giving it a new place to stay—sort of.

According to a national press release, Studio Distribution Services (SDS), a large outfit specializing in film and television physical media entertainment in North America, has announced a retail deal with Fred Meyer grocery stores, GameStop retail locations, and GameStop.com. The deal will bring a curated selection of new releases and catalog 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD titles to 132 Fred Meyer grocery stores and a dedicated video wall space for films within 170 GameStop stores nationwide, along with sales through GameStop.com.

The relationship with Fred Meyer begins this coming Tuesday (May 14) with the release of Dune: Part Two and will expand to include retail floor stand fixtures. Shoppers will be exposed to recent releases, catalog assortments, anime, and seasonal titles. Fred Meyer says these selections will be "updated regularly."

"This new relationship with SDS will allow Fred Meyer stores to continue to offer the best and most exciting new releases to our customers. Together, SDS and Kroger are thrilled to bring the products consumers crave to where they conveniently shop," said Austen Bates, Category Manager and Buyer for The Kroger Co. / Fred Meyer.

The theory behind the Fred Meyer deal is simple: shoppers in a grocery store are a captive audience, and foot traffic is high. So, why not dangle new films and old classics in their line of sight?

The GameStop deal is similar, as 4K UHD, Blu-rays, and DVDs will begin appearing on dedicated video wall spaces with 20 title facings in select stores across the nation. But GameStop is also taking the fight online and offering an expanded assortment of titles through GameStop.com. This is an interesting move, if not questionable, as the internet is the healthiest of shopping realms for physical media – can GameStop.com offer pricing and shipping deals that match or best a behemoth like Amazon?

"With gaming consoles offering both gaming and movie playback capabilities, this expansion makes perfect sense," said Mark Lewis, SDS Senior Vice President of Sales. "SDS is excited to leverage our position as a leading physical media film distributor to bring consumers their favorite films where they already shop for their entertainment."

Studio Distribution Services claims both retail arrangements are bolstered by a "resurgence of audiences looking to purchase more of their favorite entertainment on physical formats." However, I'm skeptical that such a movement is actually occurring. Sales numbers tell the story of a segment in decline; just last year, sales fell 25% from the year prior, with the industry recording $1.56 billion in revenue. Rewind to 2017, and that number was over $4 billion.

I'd even point to the limited nature of these new deals as proof of a weak market. There may be a small resurgence... but it's not strong enough to have either retailer commit to large swaths of floor space.

Related Reading:

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It’s been a rough ride for discs, ultimately it all comes down to consumer behavior.

Product needs to be purchased… and maybe getting desirable stock into places like a grocery store (read: not $5 bargain bin stock) will spark some interest.

MusicManLen

More  
Marantz AV8805A
Main Amp
Proceed HPA3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-6 Gen3
Oppo UDP203
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB16
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
Screen Innovations 5 Motorized
Remote Control
Lexicon
Since BestBuy has shut down their Blu-ray Steelbook sales Wally's World (Walmart) has picked up their online stock of 4K Blu-ray Steelbooks and have been adding new releases to their online offerings. Amazon also has 4K Blu-ray Steelbooks for sale.

Mike Schramm

Staff member
Bright Side Crew
More  
Onkyo TX-RZ840
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX A7
Panasonic DP-UB820
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelves
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000 Pro (x2)
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Sony XR-77A80J
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Equipment
Apple 4K
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Hulu, Apple Music, Amazon Prime
The previous problem with grocery store physical media was that it was always way more expensive to buy it there than it was at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I feel like I remember a new release blu-ray being $30 at the grocery store while it was $20 at Walmart.

SRW1000

The previous problem with grocery store physical media was that it was always way more expensive to buy it there than it was at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I feel like I remember a new release blu-ray being $30 at the grocery store while it was $20 at Walmart.
The exception I've seen to this is around Black Friday, when regional stores like Meijer get in special lots of titles. Those prices can rival Best Buy and Walmart, although the selection seems smaller.

But when they throw them near the checkout lanes, forget it.

I was able to buy a bunch of SteelBook 4K discs at Walmart a while ago that showed up in their $5 bin. That was a pleasant surprise.

Mike Schramm

Staff member
Bright Side Crew
More  
Onkyo TX-RZ840
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX A7
Panasonic DP-UB820
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelves
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000 Pro (x2)
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Sony XR-77A80J
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Equipment
Apple 4K
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Hulu, Apple Music, Amazon Prime
I heard that was happening with the Steelbooks but I missed out. That would have been an awesome find!

SRW1000

I think my wife and I are the only HT owners on the planet who only buy a movie on disc or via K-scape when we want to watch it that week. :dontknow: :laugh:
The older I get, the more selective I am with buying titles.

I've taken to renting titles from the library (with some diligence I can get most titles on Blu-ray within a week or two of release) and then add them to my watch list to add to my collection if worthy. I think the studios are batting about .100 these days.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
The older I get, the more selective I am with buying titles.

I've taken to renting titles from the library (with some diligence I can get most titles on Blu-ray within a week or two of release) and then add them to my watch list to add to my collection if worthy. I think the studios are batting about .100 these days.
Yes, We Luv Video, our local video rental shop is a 7-minute drive so we like take advantage of them. They are the only option for out-of-print films like Faraway, So Close, unless you can deal with tubi ads. Not even iTunes had it. That video shop has been a lifesaver for many titles. We like to donate discs to them as well once viewed.

Top Bottom