Desk acoustic treatment and mid range help.

Muskman

Registered
Hi,

I am completely new to this and I am looking for some help to interpret my readings and see what peoples suggestions are for desks in front of speakers amongst other things.

I have a new setup in a room which is 2.4m tall, 3.7m wide, 4.3m long. I have my speakers setup on the small wall, centred and I have my listening position at 38% position in the room. I have a triangle 60 degrees to where I can place my speakers at 125cm apart.

The front wall has cheap acoustic tiles (mainly for aesthetics) And I have bass foam style bass traps in the front corners best I can cover 80% in total.

Side walls and ceiling early reflection points have 10cm thick acoustic foam glued to the wall and I have a rug down cover the early reflection point.
Back wall has diffusors and each corner has floor to ceiling 80cm wide worth of rockwool bass traps.

I have taken some readings and have highlighted a few issues and I need some help interpreting them mainly looking for some desk advice at a low budget!

I am noticing a huge improvement on my highs when I lay a large curtain across my desk, so how could I work out a happy medium so I can keep my synths setup but give myself a half decent chance of hearing something OK?

I have some big dips (see my REW file) 870hz downwards and wanted some advice on what could be creating these problems from 800-subs?

I am thinking that I need to swap the side early reflection and ceiling for broadband rockwool ones, spaced slightly off the surface, will this help cover a wider range?

I am new to this kinda professional measurment stuff so please bare with me.

Any help would be amazing please.

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 14
  • With and without blanket on desk.mdat
    9 MB · Views: 2

DanDan

Staff member
I use the smallest desk possible, from a school! Just big enough to hold the computer keyboard and trackpad. Even at that tiny size you can see below in red how massively destructive it is.
The blue graph shows the result of angling the desk about 12 degrees. Could you work with the synths all behind you? turn around to play them? Or sideways?
A 100mm fibre absorber with an airgap behind is quite effective. If that foam is not 'tired' you could install fibre wrapped in cheap fabric behind the foam.
Try moving your speakers to almost touching the Front Wall, let's see if that helps with the SBIR dips.

Muskman

Registered
Hi Dan
I use the smallest desk possible, from a school! Just big enough to hold the computer keyboard and trackpad. Even at that tiny size you can see below in red how massively destructive it is.
The blue graph shows the result of angling the desk about 12 degrees. Could you work with the synths all behind you? turn around to play them? Or sideways?
A 100mm fibre absorber with an airgap behind is quite effective. If that foam is not 'tired' you could install fibre wrapped in cheap fabric behind the foam.
Try moving your speakers to almost touching the Front Wall, let's see if that helps with the SBIR dips.

View attachment 35024
Hi Dan, thanks for replying!

It's a hard choice for me to get rid of the synths around me as I write & mix simultaneously so I fear it would affect my workflow and creativity. Angling or a different desk more suited to this theory seems a more plausible option.

I had my speakers close to the front wall (20cm) then moved my listening position to the 38% area so now my speakers are 125cm apart and from me. Seemed to get better measurements this way.

"A 100mm fibre absorber with an airgap behind is quite effective. If that foam is not 'tired' you could install fibre wrapped in cheap fabric behind the foam."

So you mean keep those but behind them create a rockwool absorber shape the same dimensions and leave a bit of a gap? It might pay to remove them and buy early reflection rockwool style absorbers instead?

Thankyou!

DanDan

Staff member
You are welcome. Well can you look at supporting your synths on minimal stands, maybe stacked? Slide them into the front for playing, back for mixing....? Less the better.
20cm is not what I mean by close to the FW. 2 mm more like. I use masking tape to prevent contact and scratching. Try it.
If the Foam is genuine, it is a very good material for side reflection absorption. Those pyramid shapes do better than a glancing reflection off a sheer fabric/rockwool. You can increase the effective depth by adding an air gap, but I am suggesting adding a layer of RW behind them. This is better than an airgap.
But you can also have both if you can spare the space.

Top Bottom