Movie: :3.5stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1535107397.jpg
Movie

R-rated super hero films have GENERALLY been regarded as outliers for the Marvel and DC universe. Sure, we’ve had things like the Blade series, or the Punisher movies (although Marvel has treated those as the red headed stepchildren of their licensed films), but up until a few years ago they were pretty much a pariah to studio heads. Common logic used was that PG-13 was a much more accessible rating to the masses, and the R-rating might tarnish the brand, or at the very least decrease their profit margin. What made matters worse to fans was that there is a LOOOOOOOOOOT of IP’s that Marvel owned that would be perfect for the rating. Wolverine was notably neutered in his role during the X-men movies (how do you portray a barely controlled savage Canadian with claws on his hands in a PG-13 rated films?), and fans had been BEGGING for an R-rated Deadpool movie for quite some time. When the test footage for the first Deadpool film was leaked (my bet is still on Ryan Reynolds being the one to leak it in order to show the Fox studio heads that the market was there) they went NUTS begging for an actual film, and low and behold, 20th Century Fox listened. In 2016 we got Deadpool, a nearly perfect representation of the merc with a mouth, starring the only man alive who could pull off the role as perfectly as he did.

Fast forward a couple of years and we finally get the sequel that we knew was coming (with the amount of money that Deadpool pulled in, a sequel was a foregone conclusion). This time it’s darker, deeper and slightly less fun than the original. Last time we left off DP himself (Ryan Reynolds) had got the girl, killed Francis, and pretty much off all the X-men in one movie. Continuing on his anti-hero rampage, he is off slaughtering villains world wide, and then coming home to his beautiful wife Vanessa (Morena Baccarin). The two of them have just decided to start a family when a group of thugs looking for revenge break into their apartment and Vanessa ends up dead in the process. Depressed, empty, and ready to die (but obviously can’t), the merc with a mouth just gives up on life. That is until he sees the opportunity to do something redeeming when he has the opportunity to save a young Mutant boy named Russel (Julian Dennison) from being tortured by an Anti-Mutant halfway home headmaster (Eddie Marson).

The only thing is, Deadpool’s way of “saving” someone is kind of off kilter compared to the rest of society. His actions end both himself and Russel in “the icebox” (a mutant prison, where prisoners are outfitted with collars that dampen their mutant ability). Then there’s the added problem of Cable (Josh Brolin), a time traveling mutant from the future with bionic abilities who wants to murder Russel for crimes that he will commit in the future. Now it’s up to the man who can’t die to protect the kid from the murderous time traveler, AND atone for his sins that got Vanessa killed. All with (or without) dying in the process)
full?lightbox=1&update=1535107397.jpg
Deadpool 2 was one of my most highly anticipated films of 2018, but I was slightly let down by it when I went to the theaters. Now, before we go any further, let me iterate that I am NOT calling the movie bad. I really enjoyed the film, and had a blast with the lunacy, but after how much fun Deadpool was, I was just expecting a little bit more. I really like that they tried to flesh out Deadpool as a character a bit more, and not just leave him as the insane comedic creation he came across last film. But I just couldn’t get into some of the lionizing of his characteristics in the film. The movie switches between serious and dark with a message to non stop hilarity at a moments notice, and the shift can seem jarring and a bit off putting at times. Not to mention the fact that Russell came off WAY too goofy for his own good. Keeping him serious and Wade Wilson/Deadpool nutty feels more natural, and his comedic timing was a bit off.

Now on to the good parts (which is actually the better portion of the film). Josh Brolin as Cable is just about perfect (I would have still like Stephen Lang, but Brolin did an amazing job). He plays the character with the grit and roughness that is necessary for the future warrior. His and Deadpool’s chemistry (both good and bad) was phenomenal. Morena’s death was a HUGE blow to the cast, but she made up for it with her little “death” life lessons, and the addition of X-force cast was amazing (their first mission was one of the most drop down on the floor and roll around laughing moments of the film). I won’t mention WHO it is, but there is also a cameo villain who shows up part way through the film who is definitely going to be a BIG jump over the poor portrayal he had in another X-men movie some years back.

While the film is definitely dark and dreary at times, this is still a movie about Wade Wilson and his insane antics. We get to see more head slicing, gut ripping, bullet punching violence than you can shake a stick at. The film also gets the advantage of having a “super duper” extended cut as well. It adds 14 minutes to the run time and actually makes some severe changes to certain scenes. The set is a 4 disc (or 2 disc for the Blu-ray, as it’s not a combo pack) set, and puts the Super Duper Cut on it’s own disc for good reason. You see, the film isn’t just a few added scenes, but they changed the music in some shots, dialog, and added AND deleted certain segments of other scenes. After comparing the two cuts right after one another, I have to say that the Super Duper Cut is really just an added bonus feature. The theatrical cut plays cleaner and smoother for the most part. Most of the changed scenes actually don’t do much, and feel more like deleted scenes for a reason (such as the scene where Fire Fist and our unnamed villain go clothes shopping). My recommendation if you have not seen it before is to watch the theatrical version first, THEN the Super Duper Cut to see all the kooky stuff they left out.

Rating:

Rated R for strong violence and language throughout, sexual references and brief drug material

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :4.5stars:
Deadpool 2 was supposedly finished at 2K for the master (unlike the first film, which was a native 4K master), but that shouldn’t keep you from checking this disc out, as the film is really one of the better 2K mastered 4K UHD discs I’ve seen. The upgrades in textural details is quite impressive, especially DP’s maroon suit. You can literally see every stitch, every fiber, every bit of weave on his re super suit, and even the duct tape that hangs off of it in some scenes (after he has to put his suit back together thanks to our “mystery” villain rips him apart). Colors are a bit muted compared to most comic book films, but intentionally so. If you’ve seen Deadpool, then this looks nearly identical. They seemed to have chose a more lifelike representation of colors, so things aren’t super duper bright and shiny, but they are punchy and look like real colors. Blacks are deep and inky, and the use of HDR adds subtle depth to them so that you can see a LOT more detail in the darker scenes than I really thought you would. Overall, this is an excellent transfer that bests even the impressive 1080p Blu-ray by a good bit.

Audio: :5stars:
Like most of Fox’s releases, the 4K UHD gets the next gen Dolby Atmos track, and it’s just as impressive as the “perfect” 7.1 DTS-HD MA mix from the Blu-ray. If you noticed from the Blu-ray review, I actually scored them identically, and that’s for a reason. The Blu-ray track is simply spectacular, and while I almost gave it a 4.5/5 rating just because Atmos SHOULD be better, this Atmos track is a bit more subtle than your average Atmos mix. There’s an incredible sense of depth and surround immersion with the track, especially with all of the non stop action sequences that are thrown about, but the use of overheads and directional shifting isn’t as wild as I was expecting. The prison escape is really the best example of that, or the parachute drop later on in the movie. Otherwise it’s much more similar to the 7.1 mix than dissimilar. Bass is simply incredible though, and the goofy “pop” gags add some fun background ambiance that pops up in the surrounds now and again.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds, David Leitch, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Theatrical Version Only)
• Gag Reel
• Deleted/Extended Scenes
• Until Your Face Hurts: Alt Takes
• Deadpool's Lips are Sealed: Secrets and Easter Eggs
• The Most Important X-Force Member
• Deadpool Family Values: Cast of Characters
• David Leitch Not Lynch: Directing DP2
• Roll with the Punches: Action and Stunts
• The Deadpool Prison Experiment
• Chess with Omega Red
• Swole and
• "3-Minute Monologue"
• Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds, David Leitch, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Theatrical Version Only)
• Deadpool's Fun Sack 2
• Stills (28 Images)

Final Score: :4stars:

Deadpool 2 is much darker, and much more serious than the first movie, but still manages to weave in the trademark jabs and humor that makes the series so fun to watch. It’s kind of a dichotomy for me, as I like and dislike the film for those same reasons. The movie just has a lot more depth and reality to it than the first, which makes for some incredibly powerful moments, but it also just has FUN with the lunacy of the character. But at the same time it is kind of morose and the same fun of the first movie sometimes feel like the characters are TRYING too hard to lighten the mood. Especially when the mood doesn’t call for it. I guess you could say some of the freshness of the first film has worn off. 20th Century Fox’s 4K UHD disc is quite the package though, as it includes the 4K and Blu-ray of BOTH the theatrical cut and the Super Duper Cut (due to the Super Duper Cut being such a different cut than the theatrical) as well as a plethora of extras that are a blast to sit through. Definitely a fun watch for those who enjoyed the first Deadpool.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin
Directed by: David Leitch
Written by: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Ryan Reynolds
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), Spanish, French DD 5.1, English DVS (Theatrical Only)
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish,
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Rated: R
Runtime: 120 Minutes (Theatrical) / 134 Minutes (Super Duper Cut)
Blu-ray Release Date: August 21st, 2018

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I greatly enjoyed the first one but was not able to catch the second one so will check it out. :)

Jon Liu

More  
Marantz AV8801
Main Amp
D-Sonic M2500
Additional Amp
Ferrum Audio OOR
Other Amp
Ferrum Audio HYPSOS
DAC
Ferrum Audio ERCO
Oppo Digital UDP-203 / Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
GR Research Rosewood LS9
Center Channel Speaker
GR Research X-Voce
Surround Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Surround Back Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Front Height Speakers
Hifiman Susvara Headphones
Panamax M5500-EX
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C6P Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Screen
LG OLED65G1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
27" iMac
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal, Apple Music
I haven't seen this one yet either, but I have been hesitant to pick it up. Mostly because I loved the first one and I worried that this one wouldn't live up to the same standard. I also keep hearing mixed reviews on it; some people like it better than the first, then some people, like yourself, like it less.

I might just wait until it goes on sale a little bit cheaper before I jump.

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Close enough is good for me. I’ll be adding it to the collection right next to the first. Thanks for the review.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
^^^ me too.

Nice review, Mike!

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
LOVED the first one. LOVED the second one.

The original was the first UHD I purchased, even though I didn't have a player yet, or a projector. Well, I have the player, still no UHD projector, but I've already purchased this, too. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but It's sitting there staring at me, giving me those puppy dog eyes, begging me to watch. Hopefully this week...

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Picked this one up and hopefully I'll have time to watch it this weekend. Loved the first movie and I'm looking forward to this one!

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
Loved it! I thought it was just as good as the first.

Top Bottom