Creating PEQ filters - minimalistic approach

ece2k2

Hi,

I am trying to use REW to create a few PEQ filters for each of my LCR speakers before running the Trinnov optimizer based auto room EQ. While I have taken the measurements for each channel using moving microphone method, I am kind of unsure about the best approach to create the PEQ filters. My room is a dedicated HT room with full acoustic treatment and my speakers are JBL M2..

I tried to generate the filters using REW, but the speakers became pretty lifeless probably because I over corrected them.

It would be awesome if you could please review the attached measurements and let me know the way to identify the minimalistic set of filters that I am supposed to use for each of my LCR channel. Thank you!

Attachments

• LCR_EQ_help.mdat
    187.4 KB · Views: 22

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
I am kind of unsure about the best approach to create the PEQ filters

A good start would be to match the Target for all the measurements before getting REW to suggest filters. Your file shows each measurement has a different Target.

Frankly, I don’t see anything hugely problematic with any of the measurements. I’d say just go head and run the auto EQ and see what it gets you.

Regards,
Wayne

hemiutut

Hi,

I am trying to use REW to create a few PEQ filters for each of my LCR speakers before running the Trinnov optimizer based auto room EQ. While I have taken the measurements for each channel using moving microphone method, I am kind of unsure about the best approach to create the PEQ filters. My room is a dedicated HT room with full acoustic treatment and my speakers are JBL M2..

I tried to generate the filters using REW, but the speakers became pretty lifeless probably because I over corrected them.

It would be awesome if you could please review the attached measurements and let me know the way to identify the minimalistic set of filters that I am supposed to use for each of my LCR channel. Thank you!
Can you put the .mdat file without the equalizer filters?
It is to see the frequency response without any filter.
Written with translator

Greetings

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Hi,

What is it about the sound on the left/right pair that you would like to change?
The left and right measurements are so close as to be identical. Are you confident they are correct?
To Wayne's point they don't look too bad at all.
Here's a shot of the left with psychoacoustic smoothing applied overlaid with a typical Harman curve being used as a target.

M2 Left wHarman.png

Here's what you can do with shelf filters acting as tone controls as Dr. Toole might suggest for a speaker that has great on/off axis behavior like the M2:
2023-12-25.png

Adjust to taste as you would a bass or treble control and it won't be the same for all program material as there are no standards for recording.

You obviously have a significant investment in some quality speakers. You might consider reaching out to Mitch at Accurate Sound if you want great results without the time and frustration of the EQ rabbit hole.

DanDan

Staff member
IMO handheld mic techniques bring the body close to the mic. B&K ;- promimity of the body to the mic can lead to anomalies of up to 6dB around 400Hz.

ece2k2

Can you put the .mdat file without the equalizer filters?
It is to see the frequency response without any filter.
Written with translator

Greetings

The file I uploaded is an un equalized one. Thanks!

What is it about the sound on the left/right pair that you would like to change?
The left and right measurements are so close as to be identical. Are you confident they are correct?
To Wayne's point they don't look too bad at all.
Here's a shot of the left with psychoacoustic smoothing applied overlaid with a typical Harman curve being used as a target.

View attachment 67012

Here's what you can do with shelf filters acting as tone controls as Dr. Toole might suggest for a speaker that has great on/off axis behavior like the M2:
View attachment 67013
Adjust to taste as you would a bass or treble control and it won't be the same for all program material as there are no standards for recording.

You obviously have a significant investment in some quality speakers. You might consider reaching out to Mitch at Accurate Sound if you want great results without the time and frustration of the EQ rabbit hole.

Thank you Stewart. Yes, the left and right responses are almost identical. I will reach out to Mitch to see if he could help me in improving the results. Thanks again!

IMO handheld mic techniques bring the body close to the mic. B&K ;- promimity of the body to the mic can lead to anomalies of up to 6dB around 400Hz.
I tried to use a 2 foot pole to take the MMM measurements and I was wondering if there is an alternate approach that I could use for the measurements. Thanks!

DanDan

Staff member
Hmmm, interesting question. I would always use a microphone stand and walk well away before taking a sweep. The best source of info I have is answers to questions of mine by Mathias, of Dirac Live. I guess his measurement protocol would be in the DL Manual. It starts with a carefully measured centre spot. Then eight others are included covering the sweet zone. Note including height variations. DL allows adding further sweeps. When covering a Home Theatre I am inclined to say take many sweeps. But weigh in the influence of each by eyeballing the graphs, taking notes. Note commonalities in partcular, but also exceptions Create filters manually using this data and analysis. Like Air Traffic Control, best done by a Hooman.

hemiutut

The file I uploaded is an un equalized one. Thanks!

Thank you Stewart. Yes, the left and right responses are almost identical. I will reach out to Mitch to see if he could help me in improving the results. Thanks again!

I tried to use a 2 foot pole to take the MMM measurements and I was wondering if there is an alternate approach that I could use for the measurements. Thanks!
Thanks for answering.
First of all, say that in the .mdat file you cannot see parameters such as RT60 (Topt,T20,T30),Waterfall,etc,etc.
and thus see the acoustics of the room.
What I don't see clearly is the sharp drop in treble from 11.55 k
LCR-JBL-M2.jpg

Be patient when equalizing as your comment reminds me of many people on Spanish forums who say that with equalization it sounds worse.
Yes, it sounds worse until it is well done and optimized for the team room.

Written with translator
Greetings

Top Bottom