Correcting midrange & tweeter drivers (using near field measurement) AND not correcting them at listening position - only room correcting under 500Hz

2234rew

Hi @juicehifi

I have used REW to measure my midrange and tweeter drivers near-field.

I want Audiolense to generate one set of correction filters that incorporates:

1. Correcting midrange and tweeter nearfield

2. Not correcting midrange and tweeter from farfield (listening position)

What is the best way to incorporate driver correction into room correction files - i.e. only room correcting under 500Hz

It is just pair of 3-way speakers, with DSP crossovers at 500Hz and 2kHz

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You can tweak it by applying partial correction at a low frequency and then use the target as eq above.

But this is complicated territory and you may have to do a lot of trial & error to get what you want. The crossover regions will be the most challenging ones. But it is doable.

I recommend that you try that out and compare with a correction that goes towards 10 kHz and beyond.

Personally I think the “correction below the Schroeder frequency only” hypothesis lacks valid theoretical and empirical support.

My theoretical understanding says that a room will amplify some frequencies and attenuate others no matter how perfect the speakers are … through the midrange and far into the presence region. That corresponds with how it sounds to me as well. But that’s me and this isn’t settled by any means. Maybe I am missing out some significant subtleties here … it has happened before.

Anyway, if you manage to do a successful try at both and report your findings you will be making a significant contribution to this community regardless of where you land.

I can help you with making both types of filters if you struggle with getting satisfactory simulations. I am not sure if I will have the necessary equipment and time available in July due to travel, but I can do it in August for sure.

2234rew

You can tweak it by applying partial correction at a low frequency and then use the target as eq above
Thanks @juicehifi

I understand the partial correction to the low frequency only.

But don't understand using the target EQ for above.

You mean I use the target curve function in Audiolense to only do the corrections to mid and tweeter, based on my REW nearfield measurements?
Personally I think the “correction below the Schroeder frequency only” hypothesis lacks valid theoretical and empirical support.

I may have misunderstood a past post of yours but from memory your personal preference is to not apply any correction to your tweeter?

You prefer to only correct all other drivers at listening position?

Just to give me another option I can trial and compare

Edit: I see your post was to limit to 15kHz and mostly applicable to horn tweeters.

In my case I have Heil AMT tweeters

Last edited:
Top Bottom