Convolver window pops up when playing a movie in JRiver

jjazdk

Hi All,

We have just seen our first movie (Whiplash, great movie!), with the AL Convolver running.

Every time we start a movie, the Convolver windows pops up and stays open. That does not work well on a media center that we mainly control from our smartphones.

How do I avoid the pop up window?

Video of the phenomenon:

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Hi Johnny, just visit the gui with the mouse briefly and leave slowly.

jjazdk

Hi Johnny, just visit the gui with the mouse briefly and leave slowly.

That does not really work, when sitting in the couch with my smartphone.

Also, we don't really see any use for a window that pops up when we start a stream?

If we want to see the convolver window, we will hover the mouse over the system tray icon, otherwise it is much preferred that it does not show its presence.
At the very least, it should go away after a few seconds, but best would be to not show it at all.

The convolver is a really nice feature.. but it is not very stable here, once I had to reboot the computer to get a stream playing again. I did take a video of the strange behaviour :-)

hulkss

If you use different filters for different playback situations, it is nice for it to pop up to show what correction filter is active when play starts, it should then go away in a few seconds if not clicked on for a filter change as suggested.

jjazdk

If you use different filters for different playback situations, it is nice for it to pop up to show what correction filter is active when play starts, it should then go away in a few seconds if not clicked on for a filter change as suggested.

It does not go away on its own, on my system. Does it do that on yours?

I have three filters in one .alc file, for 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 input.

Some people may prefer that it pops up briefly, I find it irrelevant. But, at least it should never stay open, after popping up on its own.

Bernt, could you please have it close after a few seconds, and make an option to not show it at all?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The convolver remembers whether the gui was open or closed. If it was closed it does not appear at all. But I suspect that you have been running two convolvers in parallel here.

The last video shows the stand-alone convolver GUI. You should close that down before you start a movie. If you have had it open while using jriver it may have caused some of the things you have described.

You can configure the GUI to only show the tray icon, btw.

jjazdk

It doesn't quite work like that on my system.
I tried this:
1. Reboot the system for a clean start.
2. Start an audio stream from JRiver, the convolver GUI pops up, and stays open.
3. Select "Only tray icon" and press "Save". This is where it goes haywire, as a volume slider pops up and stays on the screen. (I have locked the volume control at 0dB, as we adjust volume from JRiver)
4. Reboot the system, for another clean start.
5. Start an audio stream and this happens:

6. I am unable to get a stream to play, and unable to open the convolver GUI. Stopping the stream, makes the convolver tray dissapear.
7. To get into the convolver settings, to change them, I have to open the stand alone convolver, change settings press "Save" and reboot.
8. After a new reboot, there is no convolver icon, until I play a stream (I guess this is intentional)

9. Starting a stream from JRiver, this happens. Note: I have not started the stand alone convolver here, it is right after a reboot. The volume slider pops up in an oversized window, but I hear no audio although JRiver is playing.

10. The tray icon is there, and I can now open the GUI via the tray icon. Here I can see that audio is muted. I unmute and I have audio coming through.
11. I close the convolver window.
12. Stop the JRiver stream.
13. Start a new JRiver stream.
14. The convolver window pops up again, and stays open.
15. Close the window.
16. Stop the stream.
17. Start the stream.
18. Convolver GUI pops up again. It does not remember wether it was open or closed, on my system.
19. This is a video of it, and I have not started the stand alone convolver after the reboot:

Something is really acting up, in a not so nice way. Let me know what I can do to debug further, as this is something we cannot live with on a smartphone operated mediacenter.

Attachments

• 2021-02-21 AL Convolver issue no icon.jpg
    2021-02-21 AL Convolver issue no icon.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 12

hulkss

The convolver GUI always opens when I start play, It will stay there until I mouse over it and off. I'm ok with that, so I see which correction is active. It would also be fine for it to disappear on its own in a few secs. My problem is I can't get correction files to change.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I have found something here that may correlate to these things. This may take a few days.

Thanks guys ... and sorry for your troubles jjazdk.

Top Bottom