Convolver for streaming live input

clarus

I am running into problem using JRiver MC27 on Win10 as a convolver to handle live analog input (Open Live function) with an RME ADI2PRO FS R BE. The ASI2PRO is a USB multichannel A/D, D/A. I have no problem using the multichannel D/A mode for a stereo with XO (4-channel) for file playback. However, using the Open Live function trying to feed the analog input via ASI2PRO A/D into MC27 would always stuck in "opening...".
Does the Juice Convolver provide such function? i.e. taking real time ASIO input from A/D into convolver and output to ASIO output on the same USB interface?
Can it also take output from MC27? as an ASIO device?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Yes to both questions. It works very well for live streaming due to variable latency setting down to zero. And in companion with jriver you can channel any internal audio through it as well.

It has a trial license that lasts for 60 days or something, so you can just go ahead and purchase after.

2234rew

RME ADI2PRO FS R BE. The ASI2PRO is a USB multichannel A/D, D/A

Hi, how do you get it working as multichannel?

RME even describe it as 2-channel ?

clarus

You need to enable it on the device. Select USB mode and multichannel. The manual actually refer to it as a 6-ch in, 8-ch out device in multi-channel configuration. However, it only has 2-ch A/D and 4-ch D/A. The rest are digital channels (AES, SPDIF etc.). The following block diagram may help to explain it.
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 8.20.11 PM.png

clarus

Yes to both questions. It works very well for live streaming due to variable latency setting down to zero. And in companion with jriver you can channel any internal audio through it as well.

It has a trial license that lasts for 60 days or something, so you can just go ahead and purchase after.
Tested the convolver and streaming seems to work. However, I ran into 2 problems:
1) It seems to like to start multiple instances by itself (i.e. 2 icons in menu bar). Starting MC27 seems to start the convolver automatically. If there is one instance open, it will open another one. Other than confusing which one to use to adjust volume, is there any other concern of multiple instances running? and is there anyway to avoid it?
2) I'm getting occasional clicking noise on the right channel when playing from MC27. MC27 is configured to use Audiolense ASIO as output. Any adjustment can be made to ameliorate the noise?

A separate question - what is the precision used in the volume control implementation? Any dithering?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
MC27 uses its "own" instance of the convolver. As do all internal sources. The one you start directly is only for use with external sources.

I recommend that you only have one version open at a time.

HerbertWest

The Adi2 pro has 2 DACs for D/A. FWIW selecting USB mode is not required, you can have D/A mode and, like in my case, redirect:
- spdif in —> XLR out (to main speakers)
- AES in -> headphone2/line2 out (TRS to RCA towards eg subs or whatever you need).

the 2 DACs can even be combined to control a single headphone via two jacks, but I never tried. There is a limit to my self-inflicted complication engineering :)

Top Bottom