Concerned About New Amp

tjcinnamon

Hi All,
I recently got a new 8 Channel Amp for my heights and surrounds. Outside of having a bad 3rd channel, I'm getting some periodic weird results in the RT60 graph which I don't understand.

I've also never taken measurements using the "Atmos Channel" from file method. So perhaps that's causing an issue? I've never seen this happen before though.

Attachments

• New vs Old Amps.mdat
    9.3 MB · Views: 9
  • RT60 for 1 channel.png
    RT60 for 1 channel.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 8
  • RT60 for another channel.png
    RT60 for another channel.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 12
  • RT60 for another channel2 .png
    RT60 for another channel2 .png
    41.9 KB · Views: 13

tjcinnamon

Here's another pic and MDAT. I just repeatedly measured the same speaker.

Attachments

• crazy rt60.jpg
    crazy rt60.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
  • repeated attempts of left surround.mdat
    14.8 MB · Views: 7

thothsong

There's something very wrong; the noise floor in all of your first set of measurements is 30 dB, all the way up to 20 kHz.

sam_adams

The measurement level is fairly low, ≈ 60dB SPL. The room noise floor is between 30 dB and 40 dB SPL. Try increasing the sweep level 15 dB to 20 dB and the sweep length to 256K to improve the S/N ratio.

tjcinnamon

The measurement level is fairly low, ≈ 60dB SPL. The room noise floor is between 30 dB and 40 dB SPL. Try increasing the sweep level 15 dB to 20 dB and the sweep length to 256K to improve the S/N ratio.
The sweeps are coming from these files:

They are: "128k short 9.1.6 Atmos sweeps"

They definitely seem quiet. I'm using VLC so I can get HDMI passthrough to get it to go through Atmos.

thothsong

Do you have older measurements to compare with? Perhaps you just have a noisy environment, but in my room, noise SPL would be under 15 dB above about 1 kHz.

thothsong

You can download 256k sweeps from that post. The Atmos sweeps are unfortunately quiet, due to not being able to control the Dolby dialog normalization metadata in the tool used to create them. You'll need to turn up the master volume when using them.

thothsong

If you run the RTA (Spectrum, No smoothing, 64k, Forever, Hann, 50%) for a minute or so in the room with the AVR turned off, to measure background noise, what does the result look like?

tjcinnamon

If you run the RTA (Spectrum, No smoothing, 64k, Forever, Hann, 50%) for a minute or so in the room with the AVR turned off, to measure background noise, what does the result look like?
There was one bump from upstairs at 70Hz

Attachments

• RTA.jpg
    RTA.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 31

tjcinnamon

I'm trying the new sweeps with VLC, they are much quieter than what REW puts out. Any ideas?

thothsong

As I said, the Atmos sweeps unfortunately play at a much lower volume level, so you'll need to raise the master volume level to compensate.

thothsong

I would guess there's a problem with your mic.

On Windows 11, Windows Media Player won't work, use Windows Media Player Legacy instead.

tjcinnamon

I'll try a different Mic. I went through an downloaded other MDATs and the noise floors looked similar though.

thothsong

Hmm, perhaps the noise floor in your mdat files is reasonable for a UMIK-1, versus the UMIK-2 I'm now using. My old UMIK-1 measurements have a higher noise floor than my UMIK-2, although still not as high as yours. But your RTA measurement still doesn't make sense to me.

thothsong

As @sam_adams indicated, there's usually less than 30 dB separation between your measured SPL levels and your noise floor, and sometimes barely 20 dB, which presumably causes the RT60 calculations to go large, as there isn't sufficient decay over time before hitting the noise floor. If your RTA measurement was somehow just a fluke, then as suggested the fix is to run the sweeps at a sufficiently high SPL.

Top Bottom