Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
In reviewing all of the great posts above, it would seem we have com,e up with dozens of ideas why not all amplifiers sound the same. Maybe however, we have added dozens of qualifiers that could indeed disqualify all amplifiers from sounding the same.
I do agree that many amps may sound "Similar" , however, I can say with some expertise, that one might not easily call out differences between most tube amps and solid state amps in way of a "Sound". Nope, the "Warm" sound that used to identify tube amps from their solid state brethren have all but disappeared...unless of course we choose tube rolling to make it so.
Carver did change the sound of his little can amp over the period of a long weekend so that its sound was close to that of a conrad johnson tube amp.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Perhaps the biggest lesson here is that it is far from being an easy question to answer.

Here is an example that stands out in my mind:

While reviewing the Perfect Storm, by Vapor audio, at the Vapor Audio facility a couple of years back, I listened with 3 different amps driving the speakers. A "chip amp", a proprietary/preliminary design, performed well. Switching to a pair of tube amps, the bass was definitely changed (I'd have to review my notes to recall if it went up or down relative to the rest of the range, but I am quite sure the bass was stronger - that is consistent with a later tube amp experience to follow). Totally unexpected by me, yet the two other listeners present agreed when I commented about it. The third amps, a pair of solid state class A monoblocks, sounded like the lower-powered chip amp but had huge power reserves (as expected) .

When we first heard the same pair of speakers at AXPONA a few months later, they were driven by a pair of tube amps. This time it was the treble end that seemed subdued - I remember that clearly (same as the bass being stronger, right?). That night, one of the tube amps fried and they borrowed a solid state amp/pair (not sure if stereo or two monoblocks) to drive them with. Next day, I could tell when I entered the room before sitting down that the high end was back as I had heard it before.

All of these differences were unexpected and distinctive, although not "night and day" differences. Since then I have listened and heard fine differences on a number of occasions that could only be attributed to amp differences. And I have been pretty firmly in the camp of "you can NOT hear the differences" for a long time before these experiences.

HOWEVER, in every case, there was an explanation. Damping factor, channel separation specs, monoblocks vs. stereo amp (channel separation again), internal DAC design differences (reconstruction filter difference - OK not really part of the AMP sound question, but the kind of difference some might hear and blame on the amp design).

Lesson: listen carefully and don't jump to conclusions. If there is a difference, look for an explanation. If you can hear a difference and explain it, even with both amps operating "in range," then accept it.

As said by others, none of these differences were "hit you over the head" obvious. I guess another lesson is that when you start to listen more carefully for certain differences, you are likely to start hearing them because your attention is more focused on them and your psychoacoustical brain is being trained and becoming more sensitive to them. If you don't want to be able to hear them, don't start listening for them.

AND, always look for checks and balances to keep the imagination in check. AB tests, other listeners, etc. Someone like Dennis or Leonard or Sonnie or Todd to keep you honest is always a good bet.

Last edited:

GFOviedo

I can only hear how loud a pro amp runs compare to my LPA-1 amp. I used to have a Crown and QSC amps and their fans were loud. Otherwise, I didn't really hear a sound difference at all. My current set up isn't super high quality either.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
We've changed out a quite a few fans in the Behringer EP amps over the years to install quieter fans.

Top Bottom