Can REW be used to measure clipping?

AustinJerry

I am involved in a discussion WRT determining the correct output voltage setting for a processor. The recommendation is to experiment with various settings and observe when the output is clipping. I don't have an oscilloscope, and would prefer not to spend the money to buy one. Can REW measure the pre-out signal to determine when there is clipping? If yes, is there a discussion of how one might do this? Thanks for any direction.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW has a scope, but you'll need to be careful to make sure the soundcard input isn't where clipping is happening - the pre out may well have a greater voltage range than the soundcard input. To get around that you would need an attenuator at the soundcard input, using a pair of resistors or a potentiometer.

peter08

Registered
I may also want to do this, so question: do we detect the clipping by running a pure sine wave and visually checking for when the peak starts to flatten? Or should we check for distortion artifacts on a FR plot?

Also, what sort of frequency would you choose - the default 1kHz or something else?

I also plan to compare the onset of clipping in a couple of power amps (using a 300W resistor bank), and my inclination was to select a low frequency sine wave for that test (maybe 40Hz, instead of 1kHz), based on "gut feel" that a power amp is more stressed driving low frequencies. But then, power calculated from a voltage sine wave does not depend on frequency, so maybe any frequency sine will do.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If the system being tested has any EQ gain then best checking at the frequency where gain is maximum. Another way to check is to use the RTA and look for the odd harmonics coming up as clipping occurs, the transition is usually quite distinct as level increases. A stepped level test could be used as well, using the THD limit option to stop the test when distortion gets too high.

Foundation

I'm interested to follow your experience with this Jerry. I'd love to understand my own signal chain better.

blekenbleu

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Lexicon MC-1
Main Amp
Adcom GFA-5500
Additional Amp
Denon POA-8300
Other Amp
NAD 2700
Computer Audio
Roland Quad-Capture
DAC
Chord Mojo
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
Carver AL-III
Center Channel Speaker
Def Tech CLR-2000
Front Wide Speakers
Altec Lansing 19
Surround Speakers
Def Tech BP-30
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech BP-X
Front Height Speakers
DCM CX-17
Subwoofers
Velodyne F-1500-B, Def Tech PF-1800
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer DEQ2496, Korg DS-DAC-10R
Video Display Device
Vizio M701d-A3R
Other Equipment
Rotel RQ-970BX,
An XY capability for Scope would be handy for checking clipping as well as other nonlinearities, delays etc.

vsaudi

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Mosconi 5/30
Additional Amp
Mosconi 4/10
Front Speakers
Focal KRX3
Surround Back Speakers
Focal PS165
Subwoofers
Focal KRX25
Other Speakers or Equipment
Mosconi 8-12 pro, NavTV Zen V
Hey Guys. Did this work for you? I have some signal issues which may be caused by clipping.

tonescout

Registered
REW has a scope, but you'll need to be careful to make sure the soundcard input isn't where clipping is happening - the pre out may well have a greater voltage range than the soundcard input. To get around that you would need an attenuator at the soundcard input, using a pair of resistors or a potentiometer.

On the subject of using the Oscilloscope function, I have an audio interface Behringer U-Control UCA202 and have been using this sucessfully in some applications where my signal is not too large. However I want to use the RTA function to see if I can deduce the source of hum from an old valve amplifier. I want to put the signal onto the grid of the valves in question to see if I can find where the hum is entering, BUT I am aware that there are some high voltages inside, and I want to know if there is any standard or well established way of protecting the 'probe' and audio interface, like a conventional scope with a very high impedance. I would also like to the see the ripple on the smoothing caps etc but there is a very high DC voltage here.

Any experience/ideas?

I am not about to try any of this until I understand a lot more :-)

Top Bottom