But seriously... no wifi

AnalogBeforeDigital

So I am having difficulty searching for products which do not include wifi as their network connectivity. We really have no wifi in the house at all and will not be adding any device which includes it.

That said - how do I go about locating products which may have a blend of analog and modern functionality (phono and HDMI inputs and RJ45) without being blasted by wifi.

Mainly interested in receivers like the pioneer VSX-S520

Any help would be appreciated, and any vendors listening - I dont buy products with built in wifi.

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
The only way to avoid wi-fi would be to buy something a few years old. I cant think of any receiver that is out today that does not have some wi-fi built in. is there a reason you want to avoid that feature because no matter what your surrounded by wi-fi where ever you go these days.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
That Pioneer VSX-S520 has an RJ45 Ethernet port as well as Wifi for Internet connectivity (LAN/WAN)... You might want to download the manual and see if the Wifi can just be turned off via some setup parameter... Thats the way my Yamaha receiver works...

AnalogBeforeDigital

Hey Tony,

Right.

So I'll answer this in a few parts.

1. Regarding identifying products without WIFI. This is brutal. Most search criteria will show all products by default and filter only on inclusion, not exclusion. A simple example would be a feature of Networking - I want my devices networked (hardwire ethernet) and not WIFI balsting me and my family. There is always options to include features but not exclude features.

2. As to the why - I simply want a choice. Try searching for electronic things on popular e-commerce sites - notice all the "works with" <insert your choice of e-commerce site special wireless speaker thingy you can talk to> Since the default shows everything finding something without "feature A" is next to impossible.

3. As a general comment - wifi is not very secure, in-fact not much in terms of network devices are.

4. Lastly folks with health conditions find peace eliminating them from their home, and since most all industry doesn't provide a choice anymore - it's natural for people to just accept it as a standard, and ignore the needs of customers like me.

Thanks!

AnalogBeforeDigital

That Pioneer VSX-S520 has an RJ45 Ethernet port as well as Wifi for Internet connectivity (LAN/WAN)... You might want to download the manual and see if the Wifi can just be turned off via some setup parameter... Thats the way my Yamaha receiver works...
exactly my point - wifi should be optional - but as that costs more, we chances are it's not. In addition - if it is networked and its not secure - I don't want the option for wifi to be turned back on. Think firmware update resets all defaults.

Again - if it just isn't in there, and its optional, it solves everyone's problems.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Some of the NAD products have wifi on a dongle that plugs into a USB port, therefore optional to use or not. Other functionality would be lost, though.

AnalogBeforeDigital

If others wish to chime in - I welcome it. I believe we've lost the ability as consumers to have a voice when it comes to choice and how that choice shapes product design and functionality and ultimately price.

So whether it is wifi or some other feature - built in functionality bothers me - I'm paying for something I may not want and cannot easily eliminate exposure to it unless I simply avoid the product.

Thanks for both the understanding and support.

:)

AnalogBeforeDigital

Hey thanks Kal,

So help me understand how that would work and how else the equipment is affected.

Any manufacturers here which would okay the use of shorting plugs and guaranteeing serviceability warranty and protection against any issues may arise? no sure how that works out with safety certifications as well

Don't get me wrong - never heard of them and genuinely want to know more....

Kal Rubinson

Hey thanks Kal,

So help me understand how that would work and how else the equipment is affected.

Any manufacturers here which would okay the use of shorting plugs and guaranteeing serviceability warranty and protection against any issues may arise? no sure how that works out with safety certifications as well

Don't get me wrong - never heard of them and genuinely want to know more....
I cannot answer any of your questions but I would not hesitate to do it if I shared your concerns.

Top Bottom