Beginner question using REW with Audyssey on a Denon receiver

Rich Z

Registered
Anyway, on to my question. I want to run REW through my Denon receiver and play around with the EQ on each of the three SVS subs. I haven't run Audyssey since I put the new subs in, so it is due, but what comes first, the chicken or the egg? Do I go into my receiver and zero out all the level settings for all of the speakers and THEN run REW so I get a TRUE graph of what is going on? Then when I get what looks good for the subs' frequency responses (on paper) do I then run Audyssey? Or should I run Audyssey first and use the equalizers in those three subs to smooth out anything that Audyssey didn't get quite right? I have already saved the parameter settings from the receiver just in case I screw things up so badly that I have to fall back to that.

Last edited:

Rich Z

Registered
I guess I made my post too long to catch anyone's attention. So I cut out all the fat, just leaving the bones. Or is my question just to simple to be worthy of a reply?

Rich Z

Registered
Honestly, what I have sounds pretty good to my ears, so I am thinking that just running REW with everything "as is" may be the way to go. I spent a lot of time tweaking settings in my receiver over months to get where I am at right now, and I believe my ears are telling me that it wasn't wasted time.

I have read over quite a few threads here and elsewhere, and to be perfectly honest, a term I heard a while back came to mind several times. Seeking "Inconsequential differences". So I think I will do the easiest thing and just hope for the best. If there are some "bad" spots that the parametric equalizers in three of my subs can smooth out, that will be enough.

Besides, I don't think REW can give me a total frequency response picture of my 7.4.4 system anyway, can it?

Thanks.

Top Bottom