Basic Setup Questions About REW

Metronome

Registered
Sorry for the very basic questions; I'm new to all of this. I've just watched a few videos and become curious about running some tests on my room.

Firstly, is the AV receiver actually required for some reason, or can one just connect the measurement microphone, and speakers if they are needed for the tests, directly to the computer with the REW software? I don't really understand the "signal flow" of the tests' sample collecting process at all. If they are required, then do the tests actually measure the quality of the receiver as much as they measure the quality of the room's impulse response and other acoustic metrics?

Secondly, do the tests require hearing protection? I am guessing this...

...is an example of how REW or similar tests are performed? It is hard to tell exactly how loud the sound would be in real life, but the lady does seem to opt for noise cancelling headphones (unless these headphones are to hear something as part of the test).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
A receiver is not necessary. However, speakers do require an amplifier of some kind, and a receiver is typically the amplification system used in a home audio system. A receiver can also take a laptop’s HDMI connection and separate out the audio signal for use with REW.

If your speakers are “active” (meaning they have built-in amplifiers, then a receiver is not needed. In that case, a USB audio interface can be used.

REW is typically used to take room measurements, not measurements of receivers.

I suggest reviewing some YouTube videos specifically for REW set up and use. The video you posted is a deep-dive into acoustics.

Regards,
Wayne

Below is a conceptual block diagram of how signals are generated in REW, sent to an audio video receiver (AVR) and speakers. Next the audio signal is received by a USB microphone and processed and displayed in REW. This characterizes everything in between the output DACs in your AVR through the speakers, amplifiers and room and up to the microphone.
REW Test signal flow.png

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

Top Bottom