Amazon Music HD...anyone trying it out?

GFOviedo

By the way, I was streaming from my iPhone XR + Qobuz app to my BlueSound PowerNode N150.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Thank you for your thoughts regarding the various streaming providers. Later this week I'll be getting in a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 where I'll finally get a chance to compare Tidal MQA with their own CD quality versions. I also want to compare Spotify and Qobuz options eventually. It's funny because I've been reading so many back and forth comments regarding MQA/FLAC lossless/etc..formats so finally I'm going to form my own conclusions which is something I really should have done to start with..but reading is free (usually) so that's what I tend to start with : )

Something I thought worth noting is last night I tried some tracks (The World of Hans Zimmer: Live) from Tidal CD quality and the free-tier of Spotify (160kbps OGG compression)..I already knew based on paper specs the CD quality should no doubt sound better; I was more interested in what the audible differences would be. The CD quality streams had better instrument separation and sound stage width but what surprised me most was an almost 3D depth change when going from the Spotify 160kbps to Tidal CD quality. While Spotify sounded like the music was on a flat plane (my ears felt more fatigue, too) I could sense different instruments and vocalists in different z-axis depths with the Tidal versions.

Out of curiosity did you find similar changes when going from 16/44.1 -> 24/96 -> 24/192 kHz for Qobuz?

I was using JBL LSR305 monitors at near-field with a vintage Headroom Micro DAC hooked to my PC.

GFOviedo

Thank you for your thoughts regarding the various streaming providers. Later this week I'll be getting in a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 where I'll finally get a chance to compare Tidal MQA with their own CD quality versions. I also want to compare Spotify and Qobuz options eventually. It's funny because I've been reading so many back and forth comments regarding MQA/FLAC lossless/etc..formats so finally I'm going to form my own conclusions which is something I really should have done to start with..but reading is free (usually) so that's what I tend to start with : )

Something I thought worth noting is last night I tried some tracks (The World of Hans Zimmer: Live) from Tidal CD quality and the free-tier of Spotify (160kbps OGG compression)..I already knew based on paper specs the CD quality should no doubt sound better; I was more interested in what the audible differences would be. The CD quality streams had better instrument separation and sound stage width but what surprised me most was an almost 3D depth change when going from the Spotify 160kbps to Tidal CD quality. While Spotify sounded like the music was on a flat plane (my ears felt more fatigue, too) I could sense different instruments and vocalists in different z-axis depths with the Tidal versions.

Out of curiosity did you find similar changes when going from 16/44.1 -> 24/96 -> 24/192 kHz for Qobuz?

I was using JBL LSR305 monitors at near-field with a vintage Headroom Micro DAC hooked to my PC.

I can tell you that I did hear a sound difference from Spotify to Qobuz HiFi 24/96/192. I didn’t hear much difference using Spotify and Amazon HD with Qobuz 16/44.1.
For example, I listened to The Pot by Tool, which is 24/96, and I can definitely hear a difference in sound. I can distinguish the musical instruments much easier, and the drums sound live.
Listening to The Pot by Tool via Amazon HD at 24/96 they sounds is similar and couldn’t really tell a difference.
Listening to The Pot by tool via Spotify at 320 kbits sounded good to me, but the musical instruments were as live as Qobuz or Amazon HD.
So, there is a noticeable difference with the 24/96 and 24/192 vs Spotify to me.

Im using iPhone XR to BlueSound PowerNode N150 to Chane A5RX-C and PowerSound PSA-15 sub.

Top Bottom