AL future development suggestion

Iansr

I’ve been reading / watching a lot about cross talk cancellation software and the benefits it delivers in stereo imaging and ambience recreation. This is all done using filters in the digital domain of course, so how cool would it be if AL had a cross talk cancellation option that combined with its standard filters so as to also deliver these additional benefits.

I appreciate this would probably involve quite a lot development work, but the end result would be really something and would (a) put clear water between you and every other DSP solution and (b) considerably strengthen and widen AL’s appeal.

Omid

I’ve been reading / watching a lot about cross talk cancellation software and the benefits it delivers in stereo imaging and ambience recreation. This is all done using filters in the digital domain of course, so how cool would it be if AL had a cross talk cancellation option that combined with its standard filters so as to also deliver these additional benefits.

I appreciate this would probably involve quite a lot development work, but the end result would be really something and would (a) put clear water between you and every other DSP solution and (b) considerably strengthen and widen AL’s appeal.
That's an interesting concept. I haven't read much about it, so I might be missing something. At first it seemed like a good idea, but thinking about it a bit more raised some issues for me:

Most of the music we listen to is not a live recording, but a studio engineered mix. We' re trying to hear the same thing the studio engineer heard at his/her station. So the 'crosstalk' is part of the aural experience the engineer heard and expects you to have. If the recording was taken in a live setting with a dummy head and binaural mics, then I could see why one would want the right speaker to only reproduce what the right ear heard with no crosstalk (and I think that has been done with mixed results in the past). Also, this correction implements a crosstalk cancellation that would only work if your head is precisely centered. Move right or left and you'd get a comb filtered result instead. Another concern is that the audio signal is more or less mono in low frequencies, so the low frequency signal might come out abnormally low.

I checked on Roon to see if there is a way to implement what you're looking for and found the opposite. It's called the "crossfeed" filter. It adds crosstalk to headphones so they sound more like speakers...

I found a study with some useful info on this (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3561850/).

Sorry re-reading my post, it sounds negative. I have not tried or heard this, so I might be totally off base. If it works well for you, please ignore all the above comments.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I have taken a look at various versions of cross talk cancellation on several occations, but it seems to me like very few are interested in this. I will keep it on the watch-list for now. If I see the interest blossom I may take it on.

Top Bottom