Advantages to clock synched measurement microphone?

menlobob

So I'm just getting started and I have a UMIK and a 8 channel interface for my active crossovers. Is there any advantage to getting an analog calibrated mic and running it through the audio interface so the output and input share the same clock source? I've seen some mentions of this in the past with various techniques and was wondering how this plays out with Audiolense in particular.

hulkss

I use an Earthworks M30. You should use a mic with a small diameter sensor for best results. Small is more omni-directional at all frequencies.
Be sure your interface has mic inputs. Also, very few mic pre-amps have good low frequency performance if that is important to you. Be sure to check the specs.

There is a setting in Audiolense measurement to deal with clock timing issues.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The clock drift correction is very precise as long as every sample is captured.

What matters here is to have a reliable stream both ways. If what you have now gives stable measurement results and the time domain correction sounds better than a frequency correction I doubt that you will get better result by running from the same clock. But if you have technical problems during measurements, an analog mic hooked up to your sound card may be a good solution.

G29

If your multi-channel soundcard has mic inputs controlled by the same clock as its outputs, use it to eliminate the separate USB clock deltas.

Top Bottom