2 way Danley Synergy build

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Well Chris sent me another adjustment, and it is sounding really good now. I have 90% of the warmth of my old JBL 2360a with qpie bass bins. I am very surprised for no cabinet to sound this good! I will still try a cabinet as I believe I can get deeper, and more SPL out of the same amps driving under 1wpc.

Reaquanting myself with my SACDs... Elvis Costello, Dire Straits, Coldplay, and Peter Frampton so far.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
My friend Chris is having a little trouble getting these tune to where he wants them due to the amp gain on the little d chip amps I was using on the compression drivers (even though the setup is already sounding very good... I cannot wait to hear them how he wants them to sound). Since I do not know when I will be getting my 3 Icepower amps...I am looking for another p2500s amp, this will be much cheaper than buying a other 6 channel amp, and I can relegate these to the height channels if I want down the road.

Kakkadu

My synergy attempt... can you see the video??

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Today I made a mic stand out of leftover 8020 pieces I had laying around. Now I will be able to get repeatable measurements for all 3 front channels.

Attachments

• 20200602_151424.jpg
    20200602_151424.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 30

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I also am going to redo the rear OB framework. This time >t will have 3 horizontal pieces out of aluminum, and 4 vertical pieces out of wood, by going this way it should be step ger and lighter, and also be easier to make identical. The rear frame will be curved a bit, and will conform to the cabinet shape if I decide to run a cabinet. I expect to ru. A cabinet for the cent er channel to get more bass,but I amnot sure if I want cabinets on the side channels...we will se how I like both versions o ce the tunes are do e later this month. My design will be similar except that the rear will be a large enough to remove the drivers when needed by removing a wood rear piece (like a conventional speaker cabinet). The cabinet will be attached to the rear frame with screws from the inside...or at least that is the p,an.
Screenshot_20200526-002648_Pinterest.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200526-002648_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200526-002648_Pinterest.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 26

Kakkadu

I also am going to redo the rear OB framework. This time >t will have 3 horizontal pieces out of aluminum, and 4 vertical pieces out of wood, by going this way it should be step ger and lighter, and also be easier to make identical. The rear frame will be curved a bit, and will conform to the cabinet shape if I decide to run a cabinet. I expect to ru. A cabinet for the cent er channel to get more bass,but I amnot sure if I want cabinets on the side channels...we will se how I like both versions o ce the tunes are do e later this month. My design will be similar except that the rear will be a large enough to remove the drivers when needed by removing a wood rear piece (like a conventional speaker cabinet). The cabinet will be attached to the rear frame with screws from the inside...or at least that is the p,an. View attachment 32198
What's your XO frequency for the tweeter?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Center channel cabinet has arrived. Next I will install some stiffening, support for horn driver, some Dnamat style stuff, woofers, horn, and wire for Speakon connector.
20200709_153129.jpg
20200709_153145.jpg
20200709_153213.jpg
20200709_153135.jpg

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Horn mounted into cabinet... woofer mounting pads clamped and screwed to horn. Will mount woofers tomorrow, and continue on dampening and horn support. Was not fun at all to get to this point today. I had to scratch the side horn supports as thebangle of the cabinet would not allow me to install them. I also had to unstall the horn with the driver already attached as it qould be very hard to do from the rear blindly (I know I will have to do it someday, though if I change drivers, but if I do I hope they are less than 30lbs each.). My wife liked the cabinets before I added the horn...she said they are to big. She would rather see a decorative grill or a wood horn. I have seen where a fellow Klipsch guy put a wood grain film on the k402, and it looked great. I will uave to see if I can find him again and see where he got the film.
20200709_194637.jpg

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Update... I have lined the i side of the cabinet with 5mil dynamat stye material, and a 150mm sound deadening foam.

How do I know if I need any polyfill.

Kakkadu

Update... I have lined the i side of the cabinet with 5mil dynamat stye material, and a 150mm sound deadening foam.

How do I know if I need any polyfill.
With bass drivers polyfill only increases the efficient volume inside the cabin, the frequencies are too large for polyfill to filter if you use a proper crossover. The dynamat is effective as constrained layer dampening (works even without a second hard layer).

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
With bass drivers polyfill only increases the efficient volume inside the cabin, the frequencies are too large for polyfill to filter if you use a proper crossover. The dynamat is effective as constrained layer dampening (works even without a second hard layer).
So let the active crossover take care of what is left now?

Kakkadu

So let the active crossover take care of what is left now?
I don't remember if you mentioned your crossover frequencies but if you cut your woofers 100-200hz the polyfill will not have much effect in modes inside the cabinet. More important is rigidity and damping which you did with the dynamat. But it doesn't hurt to have polyfill either as long as you don't go crazy with the amount.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I don't remember if you mentioned your crossover frequencies but if you cut your woofers 100-200hz the polyfill will not have much effect in modes inside the cabinet. More important is rigidity and damping which you did with the dynamat. But it doesn't hurt to have polyfill either as long as you don't go crazy with the amount.
We are crossing over to the woofers at 500hz.

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
O M G is that One Big Freak'in Horn... Beautiful work... So I have to ask... How does it sound??? Next to Electrostats I just Love Horns...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
O M G is that One Big Freak'in Horn... Beautiful work... So I have to ask... How does it sound??? Next to Electrostats I just Love Horns...
They were sounding great until I went to hook up a 24v to 12v converter, and blew my hy amp, and took out the hf on channel 1 of my xilica. I replaced the amp and have been trying to move the settings over to the other channels and now only the center works. I think I messed up the linking when I was copying the settings over.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I got the replacement amp in, and the Xilica working again...now I am just waiting for my tune to be done by Chris A on the K!lipsch forums.

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
The center channel cabinet arrived today...I will start assembly Monday. Next will be an attempt at
20201115_172728.jpg
20201115_172735.jpg
20201115_172716.jpg
20201115_172707.jpg
a bendable plywood, and mdf horn that is square. This one will be made from another k402 I have laying around for duplicating.the new horn. The new horn will be made from the short side of the horn and will be square. External dimensions should be about 25" square... with the cabinet being the same depth as my center channel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201107-205109_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201107-205109_Gallery.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 22

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Stunning, beautiful and amazing... I hope they sound stunning, beautiful and amazing... Lol... And you didn't fill them with activated carbon... :cool:

Top Bottom