Zappiti Reference Player

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I just received mine on Friday, and i have to say it is as good as I hoped. When unboxing I noticed it is very similar to my old OPPO in build quality and some of the electronics too. The front panel is a very nice black anodized thick aluminum with their Z logo prominent in the front next to the OLED screen. The whole case is a very nice black brush aluminum that is the quality of construction you expect from this price point.

More info listed below from their website. Sorry, but I have no pics... I will try and get a pic of it in the rack. Currently it has my Panasonic UB820 sitting on top of it and from a distance it looks like I have a second AVP in the rack...perfect match cosmetically IMO.

As luck would have it one of my BNIB HDDs (not from Zappiti) appears to have a corrupt table, and so far I have been unable to fix it. today I will try another HDD Dock to see if I can format it. I am hoping I am successful as I would like to have most of my collection in the internal HDD bays, and USB HDDs for extra storage (as my collection grows again). So far...with the Zappiti, I have found very fast retrieval of the metadata it retrieves, and I did not find a single wrong one with over 700 movies. The only ones I found that were wrong was the collections did not always show all of the ones that should be in there. I will have to research and see if I have something wrong on the titles to cause this to happen...or better yet, if I can add to the collections. I was told that if I write a short review on the Zappiti website I will get the Silver skin for the Zappiti Video section of the Zappiti software (I hope so as I really do not like the red look).

From their website...

Zappiti Reference combines all of the color and crisp detail of true 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ with stunning sound.

The Zappiti Reference is at the same time a high end media player and a media server capable of streaming content to other Zappiti devices within your house through the exclusive Zappiti Share advanced streaming protocol.

The Zappiti Reference comes with a dual internal hard drive bay capable of hosting up to 40 TB of movies, TV shows and music files, dual HDMI output. It includes a premium 32-bit DAC ESS ES9038Q2M, a massive toroidal transformer and offers an astonishing picture and sound quality to fit the requirements of the most demading Home theater users.

Astonishing GUI
Zappiti Reference includes Zappiti Video — the best entertainment hub available on the market, featuring an impressive user interface with movie covers. Zappiti scans your video content (movies and tv shows) located on a local drive connected to your Zappiti player, or on a NAS through the local network. Zappiti then collects the cover art and various info such as casting, director, release date, rating, etc. Sit back in your home theater seat with your friends or family. Choose your film easily. Browse a genre. Sort movies by rating, duration, or release date. Read a synopsis. Watch the trailer. Then, press PLAY to enjoy your movie. After the end credits roll, eventually watch the extras or wait for the auto launch of the next episode of your favorite tv show.
Zappiti Video features an astonishing GUI, and optional beautiful skins. Zappiti features an automatic top banner (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD, etc...), and a special top banner for Final Cut, Director's Cut, Theatrical Cut, Unrated, Disc 1/2, Bonus, Concert, Special Edition, etc. It also features: 2.35:1 mode, soundtracks while browsing movies or Tv shows, parental control and admin functions using a tablet or smartphone, exclusive Zappiti AI for the best movie identification possible, exclusive top quality multilingual movie covers, utilization of fanarts database, Zappiti DB and TMDB search engines, filtering and sorting, automatic playback of the next TV show episode and many more exclusive features.

More info about Zappiti Experience...

A universal media player.
● Dual HDMI
● Zappiti Magic Pixel V3 and VS10 video processing combined to offer an outstanding picture quality - far better than the previous generations - with improved dynamics, accuracy colorimetry, increased contrast, solid deinterlacing and better upscaling (up to 4K resolution). Even on a Full HD 1080p TV or a front projector, you will be astounded by the image of your display! 3D also offers better image depth and an impressive, immersive effect.
● Dolby Vision and HDR10+
● HDR Conversion
● 10/12-Bit
● REC. 2020
● 4K 50/60p
● Real Cinema 24p
● Direct Output
● Widevine L1 DRM
● HiFi Power Supply: Massive toroidal power transformer, which delivers a clean and robust power source for christal sharp picture, extreme depth of blacks, and noise free audio output.
● Premium DAC ESS ES9038Q2M: Very high-performance, 32-bit, stereo audio D/A converter designed for audiophile and delivers a THD+N of -120dB.
● XMOS Processor: Perfect digital audio processing with original sample rate preservation, ultra-low jitter and reclocking.
● 3D Video Support
● SMB Server
● Dual HDD Rack Option with Hot Swap Function for internal 3.5'' SATA hard drives up to 40TB (2x 20TB).
● Ports USB 3.1 and Type-C
● HDMI Main (Deep Color, xvYCC, 12 bits, and CEC), HDMI Audio Only Output, HDMI Input, Analog HiFi Stereo RCA & Analog Balanced XLR Outputs, S/PDIF Coaxial and Optical Audio Outputs, Audio Analog (cinch) & CVBS Video Analog Output.
● Multichannel home cinema audio Bitstream up to 11.2.4, downmix stereo.
● Hi-Res Music Playback (DSD, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, WavPack, APE, DTS, AC3, etc).
● Resume playback.
● Backlit Remote Control.
● Bluetooth 5.0.
● Computer Mouse and keyboard compatibility.
● Complete File Management System (copy, cut, past,delete, rename).
● Zappiti Video Control to control your Zappiti player with the virtual remote control via your tablet or smartphone.
● Hi-Fi Coaxial Output.
● Chipset: Realtek RTD1619DR.
● CPU: ARM Cortex-A55 (hexa core). +77% faster than 4-core ARM A53 used in the previous generation media players.
● GPU: ARM Mali-G51 MP3. +50% faster than Mali T-820 used in the previous generation media players.
● Operating System: Linux + Android 9.
● DSP: Video and Audio DSP with hardware acceleration. Native hardware 10-bit YUV support. Hardware performance optimizations for Zappiti UI.
● Cache: 1 MB L2.
● RAM: 4 GB. 2x more than in the previous generation media players.
● ROM: 32 GB NAN eMMC. 2x more than in the previous generation media players.
● OLED Screen: Thanks to the large matrix OLED display located on the front panel, the Zappiti is able to display the current time, playback position, song currently playing and supports navigation through the menus even when the TV is turned off.

Accessories
● High Quality Backlite IR Remote Control
● IR Extender
● Wi-Fi Antennas x2
● Bluetooth Antenna
● Power Cable

Dimensions
16.92in × 4.33in × 13.5in (W × H × D) (43.0cm × 11cm × 34.3cm)

Weight
14.77lb (6.7 Kg)

Limited Warranty
2 years

Rack Mount Kit
Included (ears)

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Here it is in the rack with the 820.
20220130_155520.jpg

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts over time. I've gone round and round trying to settle on a player - a single device solution, with everything in one place.

I want a Kaleidescape, but I have too much time and energy already wrapped up into ripping all my content as .mkv into a PLEX server, and they won't integrate it with my existing content.

I enjoy PLEX, but there are a few things I'd love to change about it.

I've tried Emby, and again, some great things, some things that I don't like.

I tried a Zidoo, and it was pretty solid, but I hated having to manage the entire database through the Zidoo box - their web interface for administrating your content is dismal.

Zappiti Scope is one feature I've requested repeatedly from both PLEX and Emby for years, but they don't see it as having any value, and basically ignore the true movie/content lovers in their user base.

I love Zappiti's movie/title info screen. Definitely the best of the lot, but I'm not a fan of many of their other views.

I'd be curious to know if Zappiti correctly displays the aspect ratio of scope formatted titles. Rips of scope titles include black bars up to 16:9 format, and all the other players look at is the AR of the file. I've requested they ping a database for the true aspect ratio, but again, they don't seem to care about it.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts over time. I've gone round and round trying to settle on a player - a single device solution, with everything in one place.

I want a Kaleidescape, but I have too much time and energy already wrapped up into ripping all my content as .mkv into a PLEX server, and they won't integrate it with my existing content.

I enjoy PLEX, but there are a few things I'd love to change about it.

I've tried Emby, and again, some great things, some things that I don't like.

I tried a Zidoo, and it was pretty solid, but I hated having to manage the entire database through the Zidoo box - their web interface for administrating your content is dismal.

Zappiti Scope is one feature I've requested repeatedly from both PLEX and Emby for years, but they don't see it as having any value, and basically ignore the true movie/content lovers in their user base.

I love Zappiti's movie/title info screen. Definitely the best of the lot, but I'm not a fan of many of their other views.

I'd be curious to know if Zappiti correctly displays the aspect ratio of scope formatted titles. Rips of scope titles include black bars up to 16:9 format, and all the other players look at is the AR of the file. I've requested they ping a database for the true aspect ratio, but again, they don't seem to care about it.
I do recall seeing some setting for 2.4 aspect ratios. I also read that they are working on having a Roon Endpoint for the players. They have Roon for the Zapati nAS currently. this was another reason I got this... Roon through the balanced XLRs to my AVP.
I also like Zappiti's Video section, but I did not like the red color after a few minutes of use. I now have the black background with Silver...which is a much nicer skin IMO.

SRW1000

Does this unit do tone mapping? Their website was kind of vague about it. If so, have you compared it to what the Panny 820 can do? (Or maybe you have no use for tone mapping in your system.)

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Does this unit do tone mapping? Their website was kind of vague about it. If so, have you compared it to what the Panny 820 can do? (Or maybe you have no use for tone mapping in your system.)
Sorry, but I do not use tone mapping....the picture on both looks great though.

If you do not want the balanced XLR, better DAC or HDD storage....you might want to wait for the next mini if you want DV.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
About how long does it take rip a Blu-ray Disc? 4K disc?

Very curious to read your thoughts…!

Robert Zohn

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz AV8802A
Main Amp
Marantz MM8077
Additional Amp
Marantz MM7055
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Front Speakers
Sony AR2 floor standing ES speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Sony SS-NA8ES
Surround Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Surround Back Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech DI 6.5R
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18
OPPO UDP-205
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E, LG C7, Sony VPL-VW5000ES projector
Screen
Da-Lite 133" fixed w/motorized masking
Remote Control
MX-990
Streaming Subscriptions
Matantz PM10, Marantz SA10, Technics SL-1200G TT
I've always been an admirer of Zappiti players. We just became full line and factory direct Zappiti Media Server dealers.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+

Do you mean player led tone mapping? LLDV? Robert may be able to answer that. But it does send Dolby Vision and HDR so there is tone mapping being done at least by the display.

Sorry, but I do not use tone mapping....the picture on both looks great though.

If you do not want the balanced XLR, better DAC or HDD storage....you might want to wait for the next mini if you want DV.

If you have a HDR/Dolby Vision display, you use tone mapping. Unless you choose to downgrade everything and watch them SDR.

I’ll be honest, I’m not so sure what exactly this device does that a simple Plex setup wouldn’t. :justdontknow: I’ve got a LOT more than 40TBs on my Plex server. And I can play them in Dolby Vision, HDR, etc.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Do you mean player led tone mapping? LLDV? Robert may be able to answer that. But it does send Dolby Vision and HDR so there is tone mapping being done at least by the display.

If you have a HDR/Dolby Vision display, you use tone mapping. Unless you choose to downgrade everything and watch them SDR.

I’ll be honest, I’m not so sure what exactly this device does that a simple Plex setup wouldn’t. :justdontknow: I’ve got a LOT more than 40TBs on my Plex server. And I can play them in Dolby Vision, HDR, etc.
I guess I missunderstood. I guess I am using tone mapping as I do use DolbyVision. I also use Plex sometimes, but in my opinion the picture quality, and the interface is an entire different league above Plex, and most likely I will not use Plex anymore. I am hitting the max now on My WD USB HDDs that I have externally hooked up to the Reference. I am waiting on my new Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB HDD which I will use internally.

I def would give the Zappiti a try, and if you do not want to pay this much and want DV...I would wait until the lower end model gets DV.

Last edited:

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)

Player-led tone-mapping is of value for someone like myself who is using a JVC X790R - a UHD HDR projector that doesn't do any tone mapping internally. This is actually what that whole idea of using that HDFury Vertex was going to do, had I gone through the hassle of integrating it instead of giving up and selling. It was able to read more of the content-specific HDR mastering info, and would then trigger the JVC to call up a different preset, which the user would have configured for a different range of HDR from the source. It wasn't dynamic at all during the content, but at least for content that didn't carry ANY mastering info, it could make a basic correction.

Devices like the Lumagen and the MadVR Envy can be dropped into the signal chain and perform dynamic tone mapping, frame by frame, to really deliver a top notch image. I'm at the point now where, once my theater is complete, I'll see how much use it gets and decide my next step. I'm more likely to swap out to a new JVC with their tone-mapping than add a Lumagen to an old projector - especially considering the cost of the Lumagen compared to a new JVC.

As for the Zappiti vs PLEX, you're right. And I actually prefer the PLEX setup, running a server with 60TB and adding PLEX clients on each display, vs these boxes that require file management to be done on device. However, I did spend some time, first with Emby, and then with a high-end Zidoo device a couple years ago and there are definite advantages, as well. With PLEX, the only device that really handles whatever you throw at it is the Nvidia Shield Pro. Every other device has to transcode something, for some sort of format it won't play natively. The AppleTV4K doesn't do DTS, so you're getting a transcoded stream which strips away any metadata for immersive channel information. The dongle players are even worse.

I tried out the Zidoo because I was fed up with the Shield remote losing connection with my Harmony. It was a tank, it played everything natively, regardless of format. But I had to completely manage my library within the Zidoo interface, which meant with my theater powered on and projector powered up. It read the same 60TB media storage that the PLEX is connected to, but it saw it as an SMB share on the network. Matching titles wasn't as seamless as PLEX. And I still had to maintain the PLEX database for the other screens in the house without a Zidoo. And the Zidoo did not offer LiveTV and DVR, so I still needed something else in the theater for watching live tv/sports, and needed the PLEX to record my stories.

So I ended up putting a Shield back into the system and running everything off PLEX again. It's not perfect, but it's still been the best solution for my specific use case.

Ideally for me, Kaleidescape would add the ability to playback existing, local MKV files and integrate them into the library. That's what would probably make me take that plunge and never look back.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I agree the Kaleidescape is end game, but the price is just too much beyond my bank. With the Zappiti I can utilize my USB HDDs, and when the 20TB HDDs become more affordable...then I will have save a ton of money with the Zappiti vs Kaleidescape. For what I have in the Zappiti, I have saved enough to pay for my Marantz vs buying a Kaleidescape. Now if I had unlimited funding... I might consider the Kaleidescape, but I think I would put the money into a Trinnov or a Storm Processor and a JVC Projector. Good thing I do not have unlimited funding, as I do not have to decide on which products I want to have as end game.

For me...my next big expense will most likely be Celestion AXI2050 compression drivers. This will be $1k per compression driver and I will be going with 3 to 5 of them.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
I'm with you. Post-move, I've been so impressed with my Sonos Playbar in this living room I've tried to convince myself to be satisfied with a TV & Soundbar - it's far more affordable. But who am I kidding? I love the projector experience. I just wish I had held out one more generation to get the JVC tone mapping.

To me, the one thing that makes the Kaleidescape worth the price of admission is not having to be concerned with re-ripping a collection in the event of catastrophic event (something a friend is in the middle of doing right now :hissyfit: ).

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I'm with you. Post-move, I've been so impressed with my Sonos Playbar in this living room I've tried to convince myself to be satisfied with a TV & Soundbar - it's far more affordable. But who am I kidding? I love the projector experience. I just wish I had held out one more generation to get the JVC tone mapping.

To me, the one thing that makes the Kaleidescape worth the price of admission is not having to be concerned with re-ripping a collection in the event of catastrophic event (something a friend is in the middle of doing right now :hissyfit: ).
I agree which reminds me I need to update my backup of my collection again to my UnRaid.

jdubs75

Staff member
More  
Marantz AV10
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Front Speakers
Revel PerformaBe F228Be
Center Channel Speaker
Revel PerformaBe C426Be
Surround Speakers
Atlantic Technology IC-8.3
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Rear Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Subwoofers
JTR CAP 4000ULF-LP, JTR CAP 4000ULF-ST
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 123"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Amazon 4K Firestick, Sony PS4, Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apollo
Other Equipment
Furman AC-215A, Monster MP HTS 5100, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Would one of these manufacturers just add a bay for a 4k "friendly" drive already and forget about whatever happens after that? ;)

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Would one of these manufacturers just add a bay for a 4k "friendly" drive already and forget about whatever happens after that? ;)
The model I have has 2 drive bays for HDDs, and the model below mine (the Neo) has 1 internal HDD bay. All of the Zappitis and Dune players as far as I know have USB jacks for HDDs.

jdubs75

Staff member
More  
Marantz AV10
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Front Speakers
Revel PerformaBe F228Be
Center Channel Speaker
Revel PerformaBe C426Be
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Rear Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I saying a bay to install a 4K UHD player/ ripper.
One box that can do it all!!!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I saying a bay to install a 4K UHD player/ ripper.
One box that can do it all!!!
They will not do it in the USA...Copyright protection. They just made the Zappiti NAS illegal in the USA for this reason. I rip from windows and then move the movie to the Zappiti. I might in the future import the Zappiti NAS to Mexico so I would have a all in one solution too.

jdubs75

Staff member
More  
Marantz AV10
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Front Speakers
Revel PerformaBe F228Be
Center Channel Speaker
Revel PerformaBe C426Be
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Rear Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
They will not do it in the USA...Copyright protection. They just made the Zappiti NAS illegal in the USA for this reason. I rip from windows and then move the movie to the Zappiti. I might in the future import the Zappiti NAS to Mexico so I would have a all in one solution too.
Yes, I get that. That’s why I said just provide the bay for a drive and forget what happens after that.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Yes, I get that. That’s why I said just provide the bay for a drive and forget what happens after that.
Zappiti does sell a 4k ripper bare drive, so in order to use a ripper for the Zappiti internally they would need a 5 1/2" drive bay. I also hooked up my USB ripper and there is no option for ripping...so Zappiti would need at the least a firmware update to allow the ripping option, I believe.

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I've been contemplating building a MadVR box but video cards are so expensive right now! I keep thinking I may do it sometime this year but who knows.

And a Kaleidescape would be a nice fit for most everyone but the problem with them is that exorbitant cost.

My only issue with Plex is the lack of Dolby Vision. And regardless of what is being done (profile 7 is available via MakeMKV) I don't see it being alleviated anytime soon. I find myself using the digital copy to watch my movies more often than not.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I've been contemplating building a MadVR box but video cards are so expensive right now! I keep thinking I may do it sometime this year but who knows.

And a Kaleidescape would be a nice fit for most everyone but the problem with them is that exorbitant cost.

My only issue with Plex is the lack of Dolby Vision. And regardless of what is being done (profile 7 is available via MakeMKV) I don't see it being alleviated anytime soon. I find myself using the digital copy to watch my movies more often than not.
COVID has not been kind to manufacturers... I have seen price go up considerably due to COVID. Shipping via ships has also soared... I read where a container used to be $2k, and now they are $20k.

At least you can use digital copies. I found out when we moved to Mexico that the digital copies are only good if you reside in the USA...so now I have been donating them on Patreon.

I shudder at the thought of how much Kaleidescape would charge for 40TB plus of movie storage...you could probably by a brand new car for the price.

I do not like this about the Kaleidescape either...as it takes away from the whole purpose of storing the movies on a HDD, if you have to insert the disc to play it. Check out the price for a 320 bluray vault option (which is only 4TB) on top of the Kaleidescape...you better not be drinking something when you search, or you might have a mess to clean up! Imagine if you wanted 40TB of storage that the Zappiti 2 bay players have!
"
The Blu-ray caveat
Well, sort of. DVDs can be played at any time, but Blu-ray presents an additional complication. As explained to Ars by Kaleidescape CEO Michael Malcolm, Kaleidescape scrupulously sticks to the licensing terms put forth by the AACS Licensing Authority, the group which controls the AACS copy protection mechanism employed by Blu-ray discs. The AACSLA stipulates that Blu-ray discs may be copied but that only one copy of a disc be playable at any given time. Kaleidescape complies with this by mandating that a Blu-ray movie's disc be present in the player when the movie is being played, even if the movie is stored on the Kaleidescape box.

There is an alternative, but it requires additional hardware. Kaleidescape sells a Disc Vault add-on, which can be used to rip and store up to 320 Blu-rays and DVDs. If a Blu-ray disc is present in a connected Disc Vault, the ripped copy can also be played.

Kaleidescape noted that the disc-presence requirement is in place not because of any technical limitation; rather it's to comply with AACSLA terms. Breaking the AACSLA terms could conceivably result in the revocation of Kaleidescape's ability to play Blu-Ray discs, so compliance is essentially mandatory for any business that wishes to use Blu-rays. So far, the AACSLA appears completely satisfied with Kaleidescape's compromise."

Now I have a question about this part... "There is an alternative, but it requires additional hardware. Kaleidescape sells a Disc Vault add-on, which can be used to rip and store up to 320 Blu-rays and DVDs. If a Blu-ray disc is present in a connected Disc Vault, the ripped copy can also be played" . Per the statement... "The AACSLA stipulates that Blu-ray discs may be copied but that only one copy of a disc be playable at any given time", You would now have ripped 2 copies and the law says you can only have 1 copy playable at a time. Who would ever be playing the same movie twice at a time? It would make more sense if the law actually meant you can only copy a disc once as a backup, and not be copying a disc 2 times (whichnI believe is what the law is intended for).

I say bring back the 400 disc movie changers so all of the copy problems can be avoided. In the old DVD days I had 3 400 disc changers and they worked flawlessly...the only difference was that you could only access 1 movie at a time per changer chere on a NAS you could theoretically play many at one time with the proper system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom