Zappiti Powers Off – Announces Shutdown of Operations. Here's What We Know...

full

(October 4, 2023) As the old saying goes, "All good things must come to an end." In the case of Zappiti, that end comes now.

The company's 14-year run abruptly ended yesterday as it announced its closure for financial reasons. Zappiti, which cut its teeth by developing an indexing and management system for Dune HD, has spent the last decade manufacturing video management systems that give – or should I say, gave – enthusiasts the ability to access their entire movie library collection directly from onboard or attached storage, or from network-attached storage (NAS) drives. Zappiti's graphic interface is rather slick, not straying too far from what you experience with a streaming media solution like Netflix, or the digital movie download system Kaleidescape.

In an email to dealers, Zappit's Raphael Tabutini said, "It’s with the greatest sadness that I have to announce that Zappiti will be over soon. As you already know, we [have been] fighting since January to keep our baby alive, but unfortunately, Justice has refused to hear us… We have done everything we could; we have worked without being paid to [keep] customers happy waiting to have the Go to continue, but now the Cloud will be disconnected before the end of the year."

As a result of its closure, Zappiti's video software will no longer work with media players and NAS devices, and new movie identification will no longer be available. Customers can, however, continue to enjoy an offline collection.

The email stressed that Zappiti has been liquidated, but the staff is planning to install a new app that will allow current customers to use their Zappiti products. "There will be a small fee for that App," explains Raphael. "But at least they will [have access to] a solution. [Customers] will have to create a new account and a new collection, [but] it’s impossible to retrieve [a] customer’s collection unfortunately. It will be based on a new cloud."

Zappiti says that future parts and warranty service will be handled by Let's Get Physical. Parts will be exchanged at no cost to a customer, but labor and shipping will be charged. Out of warranty players will be serviced by Let's Get Physical for "the usual fees."

We'll update this story as more information becomes available.

Related Reading:

MusicManLen

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV8805A
Main Amp
Proceed HPA3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-6 Gen3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo UDP203
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One.R
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch PRO-18RC 8" Ceiling Speaker
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB16
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
Screen Innovations 5 Motorized
Remote Control
Lexicon
Shocking news. They were on my future purchase list.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
full

(October 4, 2023) As the old saying goes, "All good things must come to an end." In the case of Zappiti, that end comes now.

The company's 14-year run abruptly ended yesterday as it announced its closure for financial reasons. Zappiti, which cut its teeth by developing an indexing and management system for Dune HD, has spent the last decade manufacturing video management systems that give – or should I say, gave – enthusiasts the ability to access their entire movie library collection directly from onboard or attached storage, or from network-attached storage (NAS) drives. Zappiti's graphic interface is rather slick, not straying too far from what you experience with a streaming media solution like Netflix, or the digital movie download system Kaleidescape.

In an email to dealers, Zappit's Raphael Tabutini said, "It’s with the greatest sadness that I have to announce that Zappiti will be over soon. As you already know, we [have been] fighting since January to keep our baby alive, but unfortunately, Justice has refused to hear us… We have done everything we could; we have worked without being paid to [keep] customers happy waiting to have the Go to continue, but now the Cloud will be disconnected before the end of the year."

As a result of its closure, Zappiti's video software will no longer work with media players and NAS devices, and new movie identification will no longer be available. Customers can, however, continue to enjoy an offline collection.

The email stressed that Zappiti has been liquidated, but the staff is planning to install a new app that will allow current customers to use their Zappiti products. "There will be a small fee for that App," explains Raphael. "But at least they will [have access to] a solution. [Customers] will have to create a new account and a new collection, [but] it’s impossible to retrieve [a] customer’s collection unfortunately. It will be based on a new cloud."

Zappiti says that future parts and warranty service will be handled by Let's Get Physical. Parts will be exchanged at no cost to a customer, but labor and shipping will be charged. Out of warranty players will be serviced by Let's Get Physical for "the usual fees."

We'll update this story as more information becomes available.

Related Reading:
It would be interesting if Kaleidescape decided to start trade-in discounts for old Zappiti hardware for new customers. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This was definitely a surprise. You're right, @austinblackboxspace, there's a bit of a void that someone could sweep in and fill. Tho, Kscape doesn't seem motivated to lower its threshold for entry.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
This was definitely a surprise. You're right, @austinblackboxspace, there's a bit of a void that someone could sweep in and fill. Tho, Kscape doesn't seem motivated to lower its threshold for entry.
yep, that is until an elephant in the room wakes up with the competition. then it might be too little far too late. never get comfortable... the best businesses always have their heads on a swivel.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Kaleidescape has offered a movie credit for Zappiti owners who purchase a Kaleidescape system.

And it appears Zappiti may be rebranding and giving it another go. I wouldn’t touch this with a 100-foot HDMI cable.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
In recent news we can infer that physical media may be becoming completely obsolete. What happens then with a product like this? I suppose one will always be able to find a way to play files.

I don’t know the Kaleidescape business model to know if this makes any sense profit-wise, but if they ever made a device in the $800 range that was only capable of downloading and playing even just one movie rental at a time I think they would have a winner. No need for any networked playback, just one HDMI out. Control via web app.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
In recent news we can infer that physical media may be becoming completely obsolete. What happens then with a product like this? I suppose one will always be able to find a way to play files.

I don’t know the Kaleidescape business model to know if this makes any sense profit-wise, but if they ever made a device in the $800 range that was only capable of downloading and playing even just one movie rental at a time I think they would have a winner. No need for any networked playback, just one HDMI out. Control via web app.
The only news I consider to be any sort of indicator about the future of physical media is the Disney announcement re: Australia, which I don't know anything about that market so not sure the deeper meaning.

Big Box Stores aren't setup for selling small inexpensive items. They need to sell TVs and Refrigerators and Computers. If the discs are no longer bringing in big ticket buyers, they go.

Before physical media dies, I think we'll see it move completely online. Perhaps even directly from studios, cutting out the retailer altogether. Remove the markup there and you can afford to press fewer units of more titles and still maintain profit levels.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew

Yes, I would love to replace my 6TB K unit with a 1 or 2 TB SSD option. That user space is basically now video on demand if you have 1gig fiber and above. I will just download play, delete, and repeat. Zero use or desire for any extra drive or real estate space in the rack.. Force K to do all the inventory work and maintenance with their cloud services...

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Yes, I would love to replace my 6TB K unit with a 1 or 2 TB SSD option. That user space is basically now video on demand if you have 1gig fiber and above. I will just download play, delete, and repeat. Zero use or desire for any extra drive or real estate space in the rack.. Force K to do all the inventory work and maintenance with their cloud services...
They are already curating the movies and managing their cloud, so more customers would presumably improve profitability for the fixed expense.
The concept may also be a gateway to a larger Kaleidescape system for some folks hesitant to lay out the cash, who knows?

Maybe someone here with connections would be willing to ask them about it.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Big Box Stores aren't setup for selling small inexpensive items. They need to sell TVs and Refrigerators and Computers.
I disagree with the “not set up for it” aspect of the statement. A big box store is like any other. Every store is at its core a real estate market. It’s about the dollars generated per square foot. There’s finite space. In the judgment of BB management discs are no longer generating more revenue than other products competing for the same space might. So, they’re out.

EDIT: Spotted your post in another thread largely making the same point, so we’re mostly on the same page.

The ongoing issue will be how many units need to be sold to support manufacturing and distribution and whether or not revenues will sustain future replacement of manufacturing capital when it comes due.

For my own self, I just want a high quality video experience. How it’s delivered to me isn’t all that important. Affordability is though. At present there is an affordability gap between discs and high quality on line delivery. I will be happy to see this gap close. And no, I don’t mean with higher priced discs!

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I just download Kodi 17.2 to my Zappiti Reference and it is playing The Kongsman the golden circle in HDR. Pic looks darker than I recall, but the colors are bright. No skipping or freezing so far...keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
My worry would be ...what happens when they decide they do not want to carry that movie anymore that you paid for and they deleted? I have seen this happen on Tidal on a lot of my playlists...track or album not available. That is why I want to own my media.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
My worry would be ...what happens when they decide they do not want to carry that movie anymore that you paid for and they deleted? I have seen this happen on Tidal on a lot of my playlists...track or album not available. That is why I want to own my media.

That worry is unfounded. Even if Kaleidescape no longer has the rights to SELL a title, the file remains on their servers and is accessible to owners who have already purchased and OWN that title.

Perfect example this week, where Point Break is going through a rights transition from one licensee to another, and is not available in the store for sale. But I was able to delete and redownload the file regardless. Same thing when Pulp Fiction transferred the license.

Lots of examples of titles no longer available for sale, but accessible to owners. Kaleidescape does not delete the file. They don't "decide" not to sell it anymore. The digital rights to films transfer between studios when contracts expire. Sometimes they transfer to a studio who doesn't want to offer it on Kaleidescape. That doesn't mean if you purchased the title from the previous licensor you no longer have a license.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
I had to make a quick video about it.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
If there were such a device as I suggested I would likely use it only to download rentals so if for any reason access to Kaleidescape‘s servers for paid movies became inaccessible, it wouldn’t matter.

Thank you for the info @Travis Ballstadt . I’ll watch your video when I have a few.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I downloaded Kodi 17.2 and it works...so far no problems other than I think the color needs to be readjusted for Kodi. I played 1 HDR movie and checked with the Marantz av8805a and it said 4k HDR/HDR for the input signal. I do not think it will do DV though...maybe a newer version of Kodi will work...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I was told to download Kodi 20.1 and I will also have Dolby vision...waiting for the Aeon MQ9 interface to install now. I could have used the stock one, but this one has a nicer interface from pics I have seen.

MoabUtah

More  
Denon AVR X4300H
I just download Kodi 17.2 to my Zappiti Reference and it is playing The Kongsman the golden circle in HDR. Pic looks darker than I recall, but the colors are bright. No skipping or freezing so far...keeping my fingers crossed.

I have only just today discovered that Zappiti has folded. Been having issues for the past month with Internet Not Found messages etc. Probably cloud issues but clearly my beloved Zappiti will need some work if I'm to enjoy the video wall I become accustomed to.

Have used Kodi on my laptops for when travelling so the thought of getting Kodi to run on my Zappiti Duo 4K sounds very promising.

Could I ask @NBK402 how he managed this please?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have only just today discovered that Zappiti has folded. Been having issues for the past month with Internet Not Found messages etc. Probably cloud issues but clearly my beloved Zappiti will need some work if I'm to enjoy the video wall I become accustomed to.

Have used Kodi on my laptops for when travelling so the thought of getting Kodi to run on my Zappiti Duo 4K sounds very promising.

Could I ask @NBK402 how he managed this please?
First you go into settings and select allow 3rd party apps (you can turn it off after you have Kodi installed), then install the downloader app. Once you have it you go online and you will see the Kodi app. I downloaded it, and it was successful, but I was told to go to Kodi and get the latest app and I will have 4k and DV too. Install the latest app and then it is just like normal for Kodi. I know in the past Kodi sometimes is buggy, but for now it works fine...I will most likely try the new app when it is released and if it is good pay the $50 a year.

MoabUtah

More  
Denon AVR X4300H
Thank you so much NBK402 ... I shall give that a try and report back my success [or otherwise].
Will not be today as my schedule is full.
Very grateful.

MoabUtah

More  
Denon AVR X4300H
Okay, had some success.

Managed to get access to the GooglePlay store after much messing about with Google servers being down and other issues like trying to control on screen input with the Zappiti remote control o_O

Got the Kodi App 20.2 and can access it but will need to make it pretty by amending my hard drives into Kodi's preferred layout eg films under Movies rather than the myriad of directories already created by the Zappiti. That will be for another day. For today, my roast lamb dinner is calling me.

Thanks again NBPK402.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I am able to control most with the Zappiti remote. Hmm I have my Zappiti directory set as movies and then a folder for each letter of the alphabet and it works in Kodi and Zappito.

MoabUtah

More  
Denon AVR X4300H
Interesting ... the remote was simply awful trying to maneuvre arounf Google Play.
I shall have to try reorganising my HDD as atm, I',m not getting anything like I get [displaywise] on my laptops..

Top Bottom