You're Gonna Need a Bigger Player: Universal Unleashes JAWS in 4K!

full?d=1587657572.jpg

(April 23, 2020) Steven Spielberg's 1975 blockbuster JAWS is finally landing on 4K UHD Blu-ray, and the details are simply delicious. Following a somewhat transparent leadup to the official announcement, including a slip-up that resulted in a last-minute retracted leak on Twitter, Universal is giving movie fans and collectors a wonderful mid-year treat.

Set to launch on June 2, 2020, the 45th Anniversary Limited Edition Combo-Pack is slated to include 4K, Blu-ray, and digital versions, along with lenticular packaging and a 44-page booklet loaded with archival material.

The 4K UHD disc carries HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision high dynamic range, along with an immersive sound package delivered in the form of Dolby Atmos. For those looking for a purist experience, both discs also carry mono audio options via DTS and Dolby 2.0.

Aside from rare material in the included booklet, disc extras will give fans access to deleted scenes, outtakes, the original theatrical trailer, and a series of featurettes (The Making of Jaws, The Shark is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of Jaws, Jaws: The Restoration, and From the Set). Additionally, the Blu-ray includes photos, storyboards, The Jaws Phenomenon, and Marketing Jaws. All told, there are more than three hours of extras to chew through.

Universal is also releasing a Steel Book version in 4K, but it doesn't include the Limited Edition's 44-page booklet.

You can pre-order the JAWS 45th Anniversary Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray Combo pack at Amazon and Best Buy. Pricing is currently landing around $30 shipped (plus or minus a few dollars).

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
A surprisingly dull movie by today's standards. It takes forever before even one person is eaten by the shark. How we have changed!
It's about the climax and the story not just about how many times and when the shark eats people. That's an issue with some of todays movies simply no plot. Just a bunch of teenagers having sex, doing drugs and lots of blood.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This flick tugs at my heartstrings in a big way. Yes, it's aging... but there are so many classic shots. Takes me back in time.

Universal didn't detail if this is a new transfer or not. Hoping it is!

Mike-48

It's about the climax and the story not just about how many times and when the shark eats people. That's an issue with some of todays movies simply no plot. Just a bunch of teenagers having sex, doing drugs and lots of blood.
De gustibus non disputandum est. I prefer the modern ones with sex, drugs, and thrills. Not so crazy about chainsaws, but give me a giant insect, killer alien, or extremely angry shark any day.

As to the plot -- well, I'm old enough to get that Hollywood has only 12 plots -- and I've seen them all, over and over. In thrillers, I go for thrills. If I want plot, I'll watch a foreign film, where the parts depict believable people with realistic motivations.

Anyway, thanks for the comment, and I sure didn't mean to stamp on anyone's favorite movie. We all have our own pleasures.

Top Bottom