Yamaha Refreshes Its AVENTAGE AVR Lineup with Loads of Tech, All-New Look

full?d=1621883749.png

(May 23, 2021) Competition in the AV receiver market is heating up, and Yamaha is flexing its collective muscle with a re-tooled AVENTAGE receiver lineup. The company recently revealed the series’ top three models – the 7.2-channel RX-A4A, 9.2-ch RX-A6A, and 11.2-ch RX-A8A – all of which offer cutting-edge video technologies, broad immersive audio capabilities, and a stunning new look.

The styling of Yamaha’s 2021 AVENTAGE AVRs is notably bold and visually seductive, radically departing from previous model years. While some appointments, such as Yamaha's signature anti-resonance “fifth foot," remain, just about every other aspect has changed. The front faceplate is dominated by a large center-mounted volume knob. That knob is flanked by a newly designed hi-res LCD display, a rotary jog dial, and touch-sensitive buttons. The topside features a gorgeous, large venting area, while the bottom portion of the chassis almost appears to be a separate component, offering quite a bit of detail for the eye to digest.

The backside of each new model is slightly different and relatively routine, however, enthusiasts will appreciate the inclusion of balanced XLR stereo inputs/outputs and multi-channel RCA outputs on the RX-A6A and RX-A8A.

Tech-wise, all three receivers are ready to tackle HDMI 2.1 and associated video capabilities. Those include 8K/60Hz, 4K/120Hz, and 4K/60Hz resolutions, along with auto low latency mode (ALLM), variable refresh rates (VRR), quick frame transport (QFT), and quick media switching (QMS). Each model carries seven HDMI 2.1 inputs and three HDMI 2.1 outputs, offering owners a massive amount of connection flexibility.

Immersive audio is managed by Qualcomm’s QC407 quad-core audio processor, providing access to DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D (RX-A6A and RX-A8A only), and associated upmixing options. The QC407 also brings Yamaha’s Surround:AI to life, a technology that analyzes DSP parameters and optimizes various sound components (e.g. dialogue, background music) in real-time.

Sound quality is tuned by Yamaha’s proprietary YPAO R.S.C. multi-point correction suite. New for 2021 is a parametric equalizer option called Low Frequency Mode (LFM). Yamaha says LFM identifies problems in the 15.6Hz to 250Hz frequency spectrum and corrects issues by recruiting the help of all available parametric filters. Hardware-wise, sound is honed through the use of mechanically isolated transformers, symmetrical amplifier layouts with optimized signal paths, high-quality SABRE DACs, and high slew rate amplifiers with stable signal transmission for rapid, accurate adjustments to input levels.

Wirelessly speaking, Yamaha includes its MusicCast streaming platform, along with app control, Wi-Fi, AirPlay2, Spotify Connect, and a host of popular built-in music services (such as Amazon Music HD, TIDAL, Qobuz, Pandora, and Spotify).

The RX-A8A is priced at $2,999.95 MSRP, while the RX-A6A and RX-A4A are $2,199.95 (MSRP) and $1,299.95 (MSRP), respectively. All three models will begin shipping this coming summer.

Select Specifications
RX-A8A

• 11.2-ch., 150-watt AV receiver with Zone 2, 3 and 4
  • HDMI 2.1* with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7-in/3-out)
  • 8K/60Hz* & 4K/120Hz* (7-in/3-out)
  • Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, Surround:AI, Auro 3D*
  • YPAO R.S.C. automatic room calibration with multi-point measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Simply to use and control, with AV Setup Guide app, MusicCast app and web setup
  • Integration-friendly, with full two-way control with home automation and smart home control systems
  • Voice control with Amazon Alexa, Siri (via AirPlay 2) and Google Assistant

RX-A6A
  • 9.2-ch., 150-watt AV receiver with Zone 2, 3 and 4
  • HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7-in/3-out)
  • Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, Surround:AI, Auro 3D*
  • YPAO R.S.C. automatic room calibration with multi-point measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Simply to use and control, with AV Setup Guide app, MusicCast app and web setup
  • Integration-friendly, with full two-way control with home automation and smart home control systems

RX-A4A
  • 7.2-ch., 110-watt AV receiver with Zone 2
  • HDMI 2.1* with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7-in/3-out)
  • Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, Surround:AI

Additional Images
RX-A8A
full?d=1621883448.jpg

full?d=1621883448.jpg

RX-A6A

full?d=1621883448.jpg

full?d=1621883448.jpg

RX-A4A
full?d=1621883448.jpg

full?d=1621883448.jpg

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Definitely different looking. Curious if their LFM will fix their lack of low-end resolution in the YPAO. Sounds like they might have at least tried.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I’m curious too... we have dibs on two units for review... So I guess we’ll find out!

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Definitely different looking.

I’m going to pick a nit and ask if a right handed owner can read the display when turning the large knob in the middle?
Nothing to do with Yamaha, but really, what’s the point of any physical controls on an AVR or processor anymore? Well, except for a power switch.

Curious if their LFM will fix their lack of low-end resolution in the YPAO.

I am too. That lack is what led me to the bass rabbit hole and different choices in gear.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm talking to Yamaha in a few weeks, will get some clarity on this issue. I agree, though, bass EQ is must have!

RedHotFuzz

I really like the new look!

I worry how scratch-prone that glossy face will be. Seems most glossy electronics scratch simply by wiping dust off with a soft cloth. Brushed/matte finishes have been en vogue for decades for a reason.

TitaniumTroy

More  
Marantz AV 8802A
Main Amp
Carver 1.5t
Additional Amp
NAD218THX
Other Amp
ParasoundA23
Front Speakers
Magnepan3.6
Surround Back Speakers
Magnepan 10.1
Streaming Subscriptions
RPG diffusors, GIK diffusors and corner traps
I'm really forward to your review. Especially interested in the Surround AI, supposedly it corrects for your room, to make the surround speakers disappear. Also to pick the best soundfield for each individual scene within a movie.

Coy Ramsey

More  
Yamaha Aventage RX-A660 AVR
Other Amp
4 Yamaha WX50 amps for MusicCast distributed audio
Sony X700
Front Speakers
Elac Debut 2.0 BS5.2
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra center to replace Elac Debut 2.0 CC5.2
Surround Speakers
Polk in-wall
Rear Height Speakers
Polk in-ceiling
Subwoofers
RSL Speedwoofer 10s
Episode ceiling speakers for 4 distributed zones
Video Display Device
Samsung
Screen
65"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Spotify Prem, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video
Other Equipment
Episode in-ceiling for distributed audio into 4 zones
About 5 yrs ago I bought the Yam Rx-A660 Aventage AVR and, after a lengthy learning curve, it has served me well. But, as I age, my hearing is deteriorating and I need improved dialogue and am constantly looking for help (eg center channel speakers, room treatments, etc). This new AVR with the AI feature just might be a step forward for me. I made a mistake with the 660 in that it does not include pre-outs and this has bugged me in my quest for new L/C/R speakers and the A4A would correct that plus an improvement in power plus the addition of multi-point YPAO and RSC just might be worth the 2X price tag. However, I think that I'll wait until 2022 and hope that they work out some of the early "bugs".

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I had an hour web call with Yamaha last week. They reviewed a deck highlighting the new receivers core technologies. @TitaniumTroy, SoundAI was a one of the big highlights. It delivers a sound presentation custom fit to a room. I'm looking forward to experiencing it.

Also... GREAT NEWS, the new Low Frequency Mode is, in fact, a new subwoofer EQ package. One of the designers said he a prototype on hand and is very pleased with the its performance, but they aren't ready to divulge specifics yet.

I should have both an A4A and an A8A on hand for review at launch. The A8A is looking to be a total BEAST. 11-channels of onboard amplification and serious build-quality attributes.

I have high hopes for this new lineup.

Top Bottom