Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
I'm familiar with the "Master Handbook of acoustics". I'm considering buying a online course that teaches the contents. I appreciate the compliment. I'm trying to be as resourceful as I can so as to avoid spending way more money than I need too, but sometimes you gotta do it.
To answer your question, I have a 3in air gap behind each corner bass trap at the front wall. My bass traps are pretty big so to my small room. I calculated the dimensions needed to allow the 40Hz wave and found that a total 7 cubic foot of absorption on each corner would allow for this freq to meet my 75SPL target, however the back wall is not feasible for a bass trap, because the door to the room is next to the corner... there would be no way to enter the room.. but I think I've found what I need to do. As far as the ceiling panel. I think it's OK, it's a 3 inch panel of Rockwool, with a 3in air gap but the back is open meaning there is no backing. I'm thinking if I lay a 1/4 plywood backing on it, it would I increase transmission of sound and kind of balance the absorption %. Because of plywoods reflection abilities.
What do you think?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
You are definitely going in the right direction @Josias 8 MP ... To nail those Low Frequencies below 250 Hz you need 4" or more of Rockwool or fiberglass and 4" or more of air gap... Plywood or peg board works... If you put it on the front and drill holes in a certain pattern and dimension you can tune for specific frequencies... The Handbook gives examples and the formulas...

If the main purpose is this room/space is a studio, you could build one or more absorbers with "legs" and place them at will... And if you know where your peaks and nulls are at in the room you might just stick a portable absorber out there...

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
That's exact what I have in mind. I have fashioned 9 portable 6inch panels 2 x4 and testing them out as of yesterday to find where in my room the frequencies I want to correct are located. It's tough to pin point. It's taken alot of patience and a new perspective to move ahead in a scientific manner, but if anything is strengthened my resolve. I need to understand better the water fall graph and RT60 decay. I hear many acoustic engineers say frequency response is only half the equation, the rest lie in acceptable decay.

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
Ok so I've got the best IR in gunna get after all my treatment. Now I only want to use the EQ filters from 40Hz to 500Hz that I've generated. I saved a right speaker only test and left speaker only test and saved by going to file export filters impulse response as wav. I clicked stereo and normalize AR the same same rate as my DAW. I have IR-1 convolution plug in that I'm using in Pro Tools, but when I load the EQ file I saved into the IR-1 plug in. I'm only getting up to 0.020 secs of what looks to be the EQ filters. I can't figure out the dry vs direct signal importance and what I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
Attached are the specific EQ filters that have been assigned by REW, but some I kind of manipulated myself. Overall I am satisfied with the response I would get once the filters are enabled, however I am really having and issue trying to make sure that I have these filters saved and loaded into the Waves IR-1 convultion reverb plug in. I can load it but I don't think its loaded right. perhaps I didn't save the filters correctly. I don't know. I could really use some tech help on this one.
Also how can I make sure that the filters are actually transferred to the plug in and working? I have PAZ analyzer and thought having it on the master bus and the IR-1 on an Aux, I could simply bypass the plug in and see the results on the PAZ but I am really not seeing any difference.
Josias

Attachments

• preferred Eq filters for left speaker.jpg
    preferred Eq filters for left speaker.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 11
  • right filter image.jpg
    right filter image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 11
  • eq filter specification pic 3.jpeg
    eq filter specification pic 3.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 11

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I don't use the same tools as you for EQ... However, I wonder if you could get the factory setting to work and give you some of the sound you would expect with the factory IR files... If not then you still have some work to do interfacing the IR-1 with your DAW... If it does seem to work with the factory examples then you may have some work to do making the IR file exported from REW... The answer to your questions about DRY/WET and Direct you can find on page 18 of the Waves IR-1Users Guide... I don't think I could state it any better than their document...

Also ran across this video, maybe it may help...

Last edited:

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
I appreciate it. Yeah I actually watched his video too. I just gotta dig more to find out.

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
Success with Studio Room(and Speaker)Correction with Reaper/Room Equalisation Wizard - Page 2 - Cockos Incorporated Forums

For anyone who is facing the same issues I am. The above text/website info has some of the most detailed info on how to use the filtered IR from REW and load to IR-1 and what to expect when doing so. The author explains that the filtered IR is a very short burst under 3 seconds which is what I was concerned about, but apparently it's normal. I've only really filtered 40Hz to 500Hz in my IR, and did mostly cutting of peaks above my target. Importing the filtered IR back into REW is what I think I will focus on now. So as to make sure my measurements responses are actually filtered so to read a practical flat response for my room.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Nice work @Josias 8 MP !!! Glad you finally nailed it... Hope to see how your final touches of EQ turn out for you... :T

Josias 8 MP

More  
Apollo twin x
Computer Audio
Mac Pro
Front Speakers
Yamaha H5
Front Wide Speakers
Kali Lp 8
Hey check this out! This whole time I have been only interested in 40Hz to 500Hz in doing my treatment. I decided to run up to 16,000kHz today, with independent Left and Right and also Stereo L&R and this is the IR that was graphed. I ran for 2M length to get the best and longest sweep that seemed practical andI notated that the sweep was -12 reading an SPL of 78 for the stereo L&R together which yielded a 75 SPL target that I have been aiming for. When I measured the Right and Left speakers individually the sweep stayed at -12 with a 72 SPL. I am kinda amazed at this graph and feel like maybe I did something wrong, cause it is pretty ideal for my room. The only correction I want to make is the slight peak in the 250 to 400 Hz range, which I believe I may be able to correct with my IR-1 plug in, but I'll still need to work that out. I am really suspicious that I am getting this kind of IR. I hope its true.

Attachments

• Left and Right -12 sweep at 78 SPL yields 75 SPL IR and pretty flat response.jpg
    Left and Right -12 sweep at 78 SPL yields 75 SPL IR and pretty flat response.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Right only 72 spl, sweep -12.jpg
    Right only 72 spl, sweep -12.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Left only 72 spl sweep -12.jpg
    Left only 72 spl sweep -12.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Left and Right spectro.jpg
    Left and Right spectro.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 9
  • R and L decay RT60.jpg
    R and L decay RT60.jpg