Which Target type settings in REW EQ window for subs with miniDSP 2x4 HD ?

FargateOne

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000 and SVS PC-2000 Pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
I am confused how to choose target settings when it is time to EQ my dual sub response into miniDSP using REW.
Many blog experts suggest to set target type to NONE with sub to get a flat response. The help file in REW says otherwise.
Also, automatic eq systems as Dirac best practices are to choose the same target settings for all speakers ignoring the xo chosen for bass management which will be applied afterwards by the AVR.
In my setup, speakers are bassmanaged upstream in the avr and the virtual one sub is equalized downstream in miniDSP.
Which target type? none or sub?
If sub is choosen, do I put the xo set in the AVR in bass management cutoff (Hz) check box?

Oh! an other question. Why the predicted phase window doesn't show the deg shifted by the filter choosen?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• sub EQ settings.JPG
    sub EQ settings.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 42

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Oh! an other question. Why the predicted phase window doesn't show the deg shifted by the filter choosen?
Thanks for your help
It does. That is the reason for the difference in the 2 phase curves. The EQ filter is not a particularly large effect.

FargateOne

More  
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
OK . About my first question am I right to think that instead to EQ the full response of the sub and the satellite, I must measure them with the xo and set the target type accordingly?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Which target type? none or sub?

Assuming you’ll be using the alignment tool for the subs group to mains alignment after this, then don’t use sub if it applies a low pass filter to the target curve. This is because for the subs group to mains alignment process you’ll be measuring both the subs group response and mains response with the AVR/AVP XO in place. Account for it in your target curve and the sub will roll off too early when the XO is applied.

Use none, use a house curve, or if you like Dirac’s slope, then select full range with a .5dB rise per octave LF rise.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I should have added to the above post that I’m also assuming the XO will have equal high and low pass slopes.

If not then I would be inclined to still follow the above and account for the asymmetry with the MiniDSP if I would also want to experiment with different XO values for subs group to mains alignment.

FargateOne

More  
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Assuming you’ll be using the alignment tool for the subs group to mains alignment after this, then don’t use sub if it applies a low pass filter to the target curve. This is because for the subs group to mains alignment process you’ll be measuring both the subs group response and mains response with the AVR/AVP XO in place. Account for it in your target curve and the sub will roll off too early when the XO is applied.

Use none, use a house curve, or if you like Dirac’s slope, then select full range with a .5dB rise per octave LF rise.

Here is more information. Alignment tool has been used to find the best delays between the 2 sub and between the subs as a group and the mains.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/n...nd-sub-to-come-help-with-alignment-tool.8910/

Delays are implemented and sub xo is 100Hz Fronts are xo at 70Hz, Center at 70Hz and surround at 80Hz. Sub xo is a 24dB slope and satellite are 12dB slope. Rotel doesn't mention if it is BW or LR.

Now I want to EQ the sub group in miniDSP and the satellites in the receiver ( 10 filters manually set for fronts pair , center, surround pair). Should I eq the full FR of the sub group or use the xo response and set target type to sub, with bass management at 100Hz/24dB slope?

The same question asked for the satellites. Should I use full FR measurements or the response with xo set?

Attachments

• sbs FR and Front left.jpg
    sbs FR and Front left.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 20
  • sbs FR no xo and Front left.jpg
    sbs FR no xo and Front left.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 19

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Oh. I don’t know the answer. I EQ’d the subs group (with LPF set to highest value possible) and mains (set to full range) before aligning subs to mains with XO set. I had assumed that to EQ after would alter the alignment. Phase possibly and level definitely.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
If I understand:
  • Use the response curve with the XO active.
  • Set a full range target curve in REW EQ and have REW calculate the filters (or manually set them) to match that target.
  • Set the filters in the MiniDSP for the filters below the "effective XO" point (below about 130 Hz in the FL chart above).
  • Set the filters in the AVR for the filters above the "effective XO" point (above about 130 Hz in the FL chart above).
  • Remeasure to confirm the effectiveness and manually adjust the EQ filters as needed.

Notes:
The effective XO point of the FR may be at a different frequency.
The filter is placed in the drivers having the highest SPL. Where SPL is nearly equal in SWs and Main then you could place the filter in both.

FargateOne

More  
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Use the response curve with the XO active.

Might I ask: the response curve of a channel ( FL for instance) with or without the sub active? i.e. FL + sub off or Fl+sub xo active?

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers