Which router would you recommend?

GFOviedo

So, about 7 months ago, I switch all of my internet gear to Netgear. All of my gigabit switches are netgear, my modem is Netgear CM400 and my router is a Netgear Nighthawk R6700v2. I've always had connectivity issues, but I would only lose internet connection may be once to three times a month. Not a big deal. For the last two months, I've been having to reset my modem/router at least 3 times a day, which is pretty annoying.

My router was replaced by another R6700v2, but the connectivity issues still remained. I tried calling Netgear customer service, and the wait time was over 1 hour. So, I did some research online, and a lot of people are having the same issue that I am having. So, I decided to contact Amazon. My returned window expired in April, but the Amazon customer service representative stated he understood my frustration, and sent me a return label. I was so thankful and amazed at Amazon's customer service. NO wonder why I spend so much money with them.

I just started to go to Fresno Pacific University online, and I definitely need a solid connection. So, I was wondering if anyone would recommend a solid router? I am done with Netgear!

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Is it possibly a modem issue or internet provider issue rather than a router issue? Then again picking a good router can be hit or miss model to model. I know I have went through a few brands and models.. Even smashed them with a hammer after they died within a year. Don't bother calling the support lines for the brand....endless phone games with no resolve ( and usually farmed out to india). I recall.... support level one transferring you to support level 2, transferring you to support level three, transferring you to support level four....automated message...support level four is not currently open please call back later.....:rofl::explode:

I have been running the following equipment for the past couple years without issue.
NETGEAR Nighthawk Wireless Router AC1900 (R7000) (from looking around this router has pretty solid reviews)
NETGEAR Nighthawk Wifi Range Extender AC1900
NETGEAR ProSafe Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS116
Motorola Modem
Comcast/Xfinity Internet Service

I game (PS4), run smart tvs streaming surveillance camera feeds to them wirelessly etc. The setup is a breeze. You can setup two networks, one for guests. VPN capable, usb drive plug in etc.

Just my experience for what its worth.

GFOviedo

Is it possibly a modem issue or internet provider issue rather than a router issue? Then again picking a good router can be hit or miss model to model. I know I have went through a few brands and models.. Even smashed them with a hammer after they died within a year. Don't bother calling the support lines for the brand....endless phone games with no resolve ( and usually farmed out to india). I recall.... support level one transferring you to support level 2, transferring you to support level three, transferring you to support level four....automated message...support level four is not currently open please call back later.....:rofl::explode:

I have been running the following equipment for the past couple years without issue.
NETGEAR Nighthawk Wireless Router AC1900 (R7000) (from looking around this router has pretty solid reviews)
NETGEAR Nighthawk Wifi Range Extender AC1900
NETGEAR ProSafe Gigabit Ethernet Switch GS116
Motorola Modem
Comcast/Xfinity Internet Service

I game (PS4), run smart tvs streaming surveillance camera feeds to them wirelessly etc. The setup is a breeze. You can setup two networks, one for guests. VPN capable, usb drive plug in etc.

Just my experience for what its worth.

I was thinking of going with the Netgear R7000 instead of the R6500, but I got the R6500 for about $75 shipped from Amazon. I'm looking at the TP-Link C9 + TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $154 shipped.

I want the Asus RT-AC88U, but at $269.99 is a little too pricey for me.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I was thinking of going with the Netgear R7000 instead of the R6500, but I got the R6500 for about $75 shipped from Amazon. I'm looking at the TP-Link C9 + TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 modem for $154 shipped.

I want the Asus RT-AC88U, but at $269.99 is a little too pricey for me.

My modem is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I believe I got it a few years back for like $100ish at Frys. I use broadband Comcast and was not about to pay the monthly rental fee when I could buy it straight out and it would pay for itself in a year. I hate to say it but the price of your router is probably indicative of the quality. If you can muscle the money I would recommend the R7000, I don't think you will be disappointed. Its $147 with prime on amazon. I have a 2000 sq ft house and don't really need the extender but I bought one anyway. I pretty much get full bars wifi throughout the house without it. Just wanted to keep the full bars outback on the patio.
Look at it this way, you will spend a lot more buying multiple quality lacking inexpensive routers than purchasing a quality one for a little more. And its been on the market for a while with good ratings as far as routers are concerned.

GFOviedo

My modem is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I believe I got it a few years back for like $100ish at Frys. I use broadband Comcast and was not about to pay the monthly rental fee when I could buy it straight out and it would pay for itself in a year. I hate to say it but the price of your router is probably indicative of the quality. If you can muscle the money I would recommend the R7000, I don't think you will be disappointed. Its $147 with prime on amazon. I have a 2000 sq ft house and don't really need the extender but I bought one anyway. I pretty much get full bars wifi throughout the house without it. Just wanted to keep the full bars outback on the patio.
Look at it this way, you will spend a lot more buying multiple quality lacking inexpensive routers than purchasing a quality one for a little more. And its been on the market for a while with good ratings as far as routers are concerned.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I'm going to order the R7000 and test it out. I am hoping that my Netgear modem CM400 doesn't have any issues. My local CostCo has the Netgear AC5000 for $180. So, I might end up going with that since it will be $40 dollars more than the R7000.

GFOviedo

So my 5 month old Netgear R6700 died today. I went to Best Buy and came out with the Linksys AC54000. I like that it comes with 3 years warranty and 3 years tech support.

So far it's working great. Much better wireless performance. Full bars all around the house.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.JPG
    IMG_3368.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    931.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3370.JPG
    IMG_3370.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

GFOviedo

So I've been testing out the new Linksys AC5400. So far I haven't noticed any speed increase with Cat6 wired connection. However, I did noticed a wireless speed increase via 2.4 wireless signal. With my Netgear AC6700 I would get approximately 45 Mbps and with the Linksys I get about 65 Mbps. That a 20 Mbps increase, but I am not sure if that's worth $375.00 that I paid for the Linksys AC5400.

Today I went to Staples and I was able to get the Netgear AC2600 for $177 out the door. I will be testing it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3379.JPG
    IMG_3379.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
I use the Linksys AC5400 and it been rock solid. My wireless speeds are no different than wired and I even exceed my rated download speed of 100Mbps thanks to my DOCSIS 3.0 modem

6491589560.png

I did this test while streaming Hulu on my TV too.

GFOviedo

I haven't had time to test the Netgear AC2600 yet. Hopefullly I will be able to test it tomorrow.

GFOviedo

I use the Linksys AC5400 and it been rock solid. My wireless speeds are no different than wired and I even exceed my rated download speed of 100Mbps thanks to my DOCSIS 3.0 modem

I did this test while streaming Hulu on my TV too.

This is what I get with my Linksys EA9500
6497892436.png

GFOviedo

So, I've been spending a little time testing the Linksys EA9500.

Wired speeds:
Pretty constant between 180 to 210 Mbps / Upload approximately 12 Mbps.

Wireless speeds:
Pretty constant between 90 to 110 Mbps / Upload approximately 12 Mbps via 2.4 band
Pretty constant between 180 to 220 Mbps / Upload approximately 12 Mbps via 5.0 band

This router comes with 3 years warranty and 3 years customer support. The webgui is pretty standard. It has a lot of options such as parental controls, network mapping, media prioritization, speed test, external storage, guess access, HTTP / HTTPS local management access, etc.

It is a tri-band router. There is a 2.4 WiFi band and two 5.0 WiFi band. I have both 5.0 bands combined.

It has a lot of options, which I pretty much do not care about or use. I've been using the Linksys app out of network just to check my internet connectivity. Lately, XFinity has been having some outages issues, and the app lets me know when the internet gets interrupted.

Currently pricing is $399.99, and I was able to get if for $360 out the door from Best Buy. However, I've learn that there are two versions of this router. V2 has a quad-core processor and 1028 RAM instead of 256 RAM. The new version will be available next month. So, I might be returning the EA9500 if the price difference isn't much.

Top Bottom