which is the more precise speaker

user44455555

Registered
I do multitone measure and both have lots of diffrence. the mdat file i have attach too. is there any speaker that look precise ?. I use multitone 100 500 hz and 1:1 - 10 db, so no clipping. move the microphone 15 cm or 1 cm near speaker or on diffrent cone positions does not change the symetrical and look of the recordet. so no room reverb influence. i think if the level of 100 to 500 hz is diffrent signal should still be symetrical. I use loopback to see the loopback signal in channel 2, the headphone signal look even more diffrent than original or speaker signal. i understand that it can be phase shift, but so much diffrence between 100 and 500 hz ?.

Maybe in rew can add a slider to change the phase of 1 frequency ?. and when move the slider until get the original image there can see how much phase shift is between freq 1 and freq 2

speaker 1.jpg

speaker 2.jpg

EDIT: a new screenshot with better comparable levels of the headphone
headphone (2).jpg

Attachments

• multitone.zip
    645.9 KB · Views: 5
  • headhone.jpg
    headhone.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

user44455555

Registered
I notice that the excess phase did not show phase shifts from EQ because min phase contain too the phase shifts of the EQ. I mean this strong phase jump at 500 hz is only very few see in excess phase curve. wy this is not show ?. i use no smooth and no window and measure 1 cm away from mid/woofer. see screenshot and the phase the DSP editor show.

phases with EQ.jpg

next image is with no eq

pase without eq.jpg

Attachments

• phase with EQ.jpg
    phase with EQ.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 0

user44455555

Registered
ok, then it seem phase that need correct can not see on excess phase. without EQ the phase look more worse as excess phase. but it explain more wy the osciloscope display look so much diffrent

without EQ the phase at 100 hz is 255 deg and 500 hz it is 388 deg. its diffrence of 133 degree. thats much.

now how can i calc the delay that is need for the 500 hz ?. I think 100 hz have period time of 10 ms . 1 degree is 10/360 =0.027 ms *133 = 3.5 ms. so i need delay the 500 hz 3.5 ms that it fit the 100 hz right ?

In excess phase without EQ look much better .at 100 hz it is 19 deg and at 500 hz it is 3 degree. (19-3) *0.027 is only 0.432 ms .

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That trend in the phase response is a consequence of the low end roll off, quite normal. It could be altered with a phase correcting filter constructed in rePhase, for example, though I don't know why one would bother.

user44455555

Registered
then maybe the main problem is that the peak is so much delayed. more than 10 ms. see screesnhot. I hear on speaker mudd sound when i boost 150 hz around. on headphone sound not muddy also when i boost 150 hz alot (both are calibrate). the signal look same from distance 1 cm upto 10 cm. so i think no room influence see in this test. when hear music room reverb is add too. but if the speaker delay the signal so much and the room reverb is add make even more worse. maybe a precise speaker enhance quality so i hear not so much more mudd as headphones in bass or stereo double trackguitar So i look for a speaker that have not such a large delay to reach peak at 100 hz. speaker tests did not show the problems. the focall alpha 65 is on 400 hz burst much better as the kali lp 6 but on 100 hz burst they look near same worse really strange that the speaker precision is not good at low frequency, close bassport does not help

focal 65 evo.jpg

kali lp6.jpg

Top Bottom