Where the audio signal of centers back channels go in a 5.1 setup?

FargateOne

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000 and SVS PC-2000 Pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Hello,
I have read the owner manual and did not find the answer! I have a 5.1 system 2 fronts, 1 center,2 surrounds, 1 sub. When I playback a 7.1 source (BD player to the AVReceiver via HDMI connections), where goes the audio signal of channels 6 and 7? Those audio tracks are registered into the dvd no? Many receivers give the choice (in a 7.1 setup) to send these audio tracks to centerback speakers or front heights speakers.
In a 5.1 system where are they downmixed? Or, are they lost somewhere into the electronic of the receiver?? Is ther an industry standard for this downmixing operation? Or do Onkyo, Marantz, McIntosh, Yamaha, Rotel downmixe whatever they like? Is it possible that those audio tracks are "blended" with fronts left and right channels?

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
If you only have a 5 channel speaker setup then the 6th and 7th channels would be sent to the only two surround channels you have.

Last edited:

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hello,
I have read the owner manual and did not find the answer! I have a 5.1 system 2 fronts, 1 center,2 surrounds, 1 sub. When I playback a 7.1 source (BD player to the AVReceiver via HDMI connections), where goes the audio signal of channels 6 and 7? Those audio tracks are registered into the dvd no? Many receivers give the choice (in a 7.1 setup) to send these audio tracks to centerback speakers or front heights speakers.
In a 5.1 system where are they downmixed? Or, are they lost somewhere into the electronic of the receiver?? Is ther an industry standard for this downmixing operation? Or do Onkyo, Marantz, McIntosh, Yamaha, Rotel downmixe whatever they like? Is it possible that those audio tracks are "blended" with fronts left and right channels?

Tony nailed it. There are standards. Manufacturers have and surround codec developers sometimes put out papers discussing this, but typically its not openly discussed much. It is certainly not lost, it is down-mixed. It is possible that there is more to the equation than simple down-mixing, but it is unlikely we will ever know without inside knowledge.

The standard for downmixing as I understand it works something like this (fed a 7.1 signal):
5.1 (rear surrounds mixed into side surrounds)
5.0 (LFE channel mixed into front mains and/or any speaker set to large)
3.1 (surround channels remixed into front speakers)-some devices have DSP processing to give the illusion of surrounds using this, same is true of a 5.1 setup
2.1 (center and surrounds is remixed into the L and R speakers)
2.0 (Center, Surround, and LFE mixed into L and R speakers)

In effect, no information is ever lost, it is just utilized to its fullest extent. If you can believe it, this remixing process is more complicated than it seems and not all systems handle it right. For example, remixing the LF's and LFE into the mains can increase the bass levels too much. This is compensated for so as not to overload the signal.

Bass management too can get goofed up and here it is far more common to see manufacturers mis-handle the remixing if they don't account for this use case. Imagine you set EQ to each speaker and then drop some of those speakers? Imagine the EQ is setup before bass management (it often is) and you have set EQ for each speaker separately. The remixed signal can combine the boost or cut, it compounds that. Now imagine that mono bass is sent and remixed to just the subs. This compounds the issue and causes the bass EQ to now be wrong. Too much boost or cut at a given frequency.

Top Bottom