GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Netflix has gotten quite a bit of press for its 200,000 loss of members in Q4 2021... but I just read they are projected to lose 2 million by Q2 2022?

Am I missing something? I understand there's plenty of competition... but Netflix still has lots of great, original content. Wouldn't that keep subscribers engaged?

MediumRare

IMO Netflix has been on a self-destructive path ever since they rejected being the comprehensive source of Hollywood movies and tried to become a TV network. Jacking up prices, dropping 1,000s of movies, alienating other content owners. They were iconic and #1 because they had the high ground of *all* the best content. Now they will be just one of the fragmented content players (TV networks, HBO, Hulu, Paramount, Amazon, Disney, and on and on) - and will lose 50% of their subscribers or more. Sad, really.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
You make a really good point... the movie content side of things is atrocious on Netflix. They still have some exclusive content that's worth paying for. I guess we'll have to see if that holds up over time.

If I had to pick one streamer for movies, it would be HBO Max. But, to your point, everything has become fragmented. The days of a large single source are over.

Top Right Corner

There are a few reasons, they have focused so much on original content that the other movie content that they bring in is way older than it used to be, so the quality has gone down and the prices have gone up.

One very large reason is because they have decided to take a political stance AMD become a "woke" company. In doing so, you are taking the side of a very small portion of the population and people are getting sick of companies pandering in politics and making the decision for others what is and is not acceptable. They have removed thousands of older but classic titles that were not questioned at the time but a small few may be offended by today. It really started with their Netflix Original " Cuties" which was a film that sexualized young teen girls. There was a huge backlash of people not wanting it to be aired and had one of the largest dislikes to likes ratio for the trailer on YouTube and they aired it anyway saying it was art and not sexualization. Since then, they became political and woke and a lot of people have had enough of companies wanting to dictate what is right and wrong. Disney has also lost a lot of customers, but they have also had growth so it is hidden a bit, but it will soon show. The same has happened to Facebook and Twitter (before Elon Musk), Instagram and other large companies trying to impede on free speech, take a political side and become woke.

The same thing happened to Nike when they became woke and did a huge ad campaign with Colin Kaepernick after kneeling during the anthem, they lost billions in sales and stocks plummeted.

Most people just want companies to provide their service, stay neutral and let their customer make their own decisions, once major corporations, especially those in media, try to tell people what they should not watch or listen to and censor others, a large chunk of the population are at the point where they will no longer support them, and rightly so. People are sick and tired of the political games and they are more likely now to turn their backs on those they don't agree with. Making business decisions to appease 5% of the population is a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I believe that Netflix and Disney will continue to lose a ton of subscribers as other, less vocal options continue to become available.

The demise of the CNN streaming service is a prime example.

Many of the lost customers for Netflix are in the US but it is starting to affect Europe and Canada (where I am from) so the exodus could be tens of millions in the next year or so. This will cause Netflix to make drastic cuts, their original content will suffer and they will lose billions. In order to save it, it will take a huge shift in their ideology and content selection and potentially even being bought out.

I am not taking any political side, as I said I am Canadian, but I know people are sick and tired of political stances and the woke ideology being pushed on them from businesses and people will start fighting back by not supporting them.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Netflix has really made it an all or nothing proposition for their customers. I, for one, would be very interested to see how the split would pan out if they bifurcated their service into a catalog movie subscription and an original programming subscription.

While the quality has definitely fallen off recently, I would still be in the "I don't care about your catalog content offerings" camp. I literally only watch their original programming, albeit less and less. I've downgraded to the HD tier to save a few bucks, considering I don't watch much anymore. I've basically decided that after we binge the Stranger Things season in May, I'll be deciding whether to keep it through the Stranger Things part 2, or kill it for a month, bring it back for STP2, and then kill it again.

I'm done paying for it, when there is so little there that we watch that we forget we have it. It's literally the last service we go to when looking for something.

Oh, Ozark is another one that we're going to binge the end of right now. It's like their best content is all ending and I don't see a reason to keep it anymore.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I've basically decided that after we binge the Stranger Things season in May, I'll be deciding whether to keep it through the Stranger Things part 2, or kill it for a month, bring it back for STP2, and then kill it again.

And this is the new game we must play.
We'll be re-activating our Netflix subscription to watch this and then de-activate it when done if nothing else immediately catches our eye.
When re-activated, we'll look to turn something else off.
There has to be a better way.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Either the market will correct it’s behavior, or die a slow death.
I dont think I have watched Netflix in 6 months. I was a Netflix subscriber from the days of discs. I will be shutting it off after I watch Ozark. Probably won’t even notice it being gone.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
We'll be re-activating our Netflix subscription to watch this and then de-activate it when done if nothing else immediately catches our eye.

At least they make it easy with their practice of dumping entire seasons at once.

MediumRare

There are a few reasons, they have focused so much on original content that the other movie content that they bring in is way older than it used to be, so the quality has gone down and the prices have gone up.

The same thing happened to Nike when they became woke and did a huge ad campaign with Colin Kaepernick after kneeling during the anthem, they lost billions in sales and stocks plummeted.

I am not taking any political side, as I said I am Canadian, but I know people are sick and tired of political stances and the woke ideology being pushed on them from businesses and people will start fighting back by not supporting them.
Sir, I don’t know if you believe what you wrote, however:
1. Nike sales in the US in 2021 hit an all-time record; So did their share price.
2. Your criticism of the term woke is inherently political
Please keep you posts factual and your politics private.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
That is just like we used to do...a couple of months of showtime until we have watched all we wanted and then disconnect and pick another service We have had Netflix the longest because there are so many series to watch, and my wife and I like the Korean shows.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
When publicly held companies make political decisions that place board member politics above the fiduciary duty to their shareholders you get these kind of reactions by the user base as well as the shareholders...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Here we go...

I won't go as far as to say "only 150 jobs," because I'm 100% sure each and every one of those workers are feeling the sting of getting laid off. BUT, this represents about 1% of Netflix's workforce. There's definitely a shift happening. I just have a hard time believing that Netflix won't maintain a subscriber base of 140 million or thereabout. I'm sure a big chunk of subscribers is folks like me: content to keep a subscription for the occasional series... or you have a kids that watch (even if you don't)?

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I have zero intentions of dropping my Netflix sub. Too much to get caught up on.

Top Bottom