What souncards / setups are you using for REW measurements WITH loopback for timing ? (MiniDSP)

mamba76

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Lenovo M8 FHD tablet
Main Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 (front end)
Additional Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 (midbass)
Other Amp
JL Audio XD1000/1 (sub)
Front Speakers
Focal Utopia (2003 model) (6W2's + TN51's)
Surround Back Speakers
JL Audio ZR800s (pair)
Subwoofers
JL Audio 13W3 4ohm
Streaming Equipment
miniDSP 2x4HD feeding C-DSP6x8
Hi all. Im always trying to improve my sound system in my car and Im unhappy with my analog external miditech3 soundcard setup I use for REW measurements.
I would like to keep the noise floor as low as possible and ideally use optical feeds to the system so to avoid noise ito the DACs.
I have a ttached a diagram of my setup where normally, when driving, the DACs are fed by the MiniDSP USB streamer which is optical so no noise pick up there anymore (like when i used the USB link and the onboard streamer previously). I have just bought some USB 'full speed' isolators to get rid of the AC laptop charger noise (when Im working with REW). I just don't like all the wiring and bulkiy soundcard.
I wondered if theres a more stream lined setup possible with the equipment Iv got or don't mind spending a bit more. I DO like the loopback timing method over the acoustic timing so want to keep that, so guess I need a 2 channel soundcard again. I can't help wandering if I could use the USB streamer somehow and i have one spare RCA output on one of the DACs (bass). I noticed in REW preferences that the MiniDSP 2x4HDs offers its own ASIO options, how / when would these be used?
Truth is I find all this totally confusing and normally resort to 'Winging it' when things go awry and REW naming there inputs 1of1, 2of2, etc don't help, not to mention the noise from using the analog input on the DACs, if the jack moves you get instant crackle.
The Umik setup seems simpler but Iv heard alot of problems with windows particulary plus I dont think loopback is possible with the Umik, correct me if Im wrong.

Just wish for a reliable lightweight setup to do my measuremnts with.

Ideally -
1) smaller soundcard or utilise / manipulate current equipment somehow
2) keep loopback timing
3) maintain optical feed to DACs
4) prefer to keep my XLR Beringer mic

Im sure theres a better way to set this up, maybe using the USB Streamers input ?

Last edited:

mamba76

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Lenovo M8 FHD tablet
Main Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 (front end)
Additional Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 (midbass)
Other Amp
JL Audio XD1000/1 (sub)
Front Speakers
Focal Utopia (2003 model) (6W2's + TN51's)
Surround Back Speakers
JL Audio ZR800s (pair)
Subwoofers
JL Audio 13W3 4ohm
Streaming Equipment
miniDSP 2x4HD feeding C-DSP6x8
Top Bottom