What is the basic minimum hardware required for REW testing?

RussNC

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
ATI AT500NC
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP- X800M2
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP 8000F II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-504C II
Surround Speakers
HSU CCB-8
Subwoofers
4 Klipsch RP-1600SW
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
VISIO P759-G1
I've seen a few presentations on using REW and they all make it sound incredibly simple to get started, but I keep having trouble getting it to go through the first test.
It's either too many options for connecting, not having the right hardware, or just some sort of mental block, but I really need a hand.
I've run YPAO on the system, but really want to take it to the next level.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on getting started. All I am trying to do initially is run a subwoofer test.
Here is the hardware:
iMac (2012) running 10.13.6 OS (I know it's ancient, but hoping to find a way to get it to work)
REW V5.20.13
Dayton Audio UMM-6
Thunderbolt v1 to HDMI adapter
HDMI cable
Yamaha CX-A5200

Thanks,
Russ

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What are you having trouble with?

Mic plugs into mac. HDMI plugs into a rear panel port on the receiver. Choose the UMM-6 as the input and the HDMI adaptor as the output in REW. Measure :)

Things that can cause problems: Some HDMI adaptors only support stereo for the linear PCM data used for measuring. Mac channel allocations can sometimes be non-standard, you can see them, and the output format configured for the adaptor, in the mac's Audio Midi Setup utility and configure REW to use the same channel allocations using the channel mapping button on the soundcard preferences. That button will only be visible if the adaptor supports more than stereo though.

RussNC

More  
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
ATI AT500NC
Sony UBP- X800M2
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP 8000F II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-504C II
Surround Speakers
HSU CCB-8
Subwoofers
4 Klipsch RP-1600SW
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
VISIO P759-G1
Thanks for the response, it's obvious I need help. Not my first day on the planet (almost 25,000 so far), but it can be very frustrating to not make the connection. I'll keep working it until I get it though. REW seems like a great program that even a novice can use and develop the understanding needed to improve a home setup.
I understand the fundamentals of that sequence, but the iMac I use showed the A5200 as an output the first day, but not the today. Is is just a matter of the thunderbolt/HDMI adapter compatibility issues or is the iMac too old to show more channels? I'd like to do the REW testing without buying a new Mac or PC if I can, but my technical understanding of the possible combinations of cabling between the iMac and A5200 is limited. How many options do I have to connect the old iMac to the receiver?

RussNC

More  
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
ATI AT500NC
Sony UBP- X800M2
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP 8000F II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-504C II
Surround Speakers
HSU CCB-8
Subwoofers
4 Klipsch RP-1600SW
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
VISIO P759-G1
I've switched back to PC since my old MAC did not seem to want to cooperate. I had an older PC that was able to run REW on a different preamp/amp setup (this is has dozens of different setup/input variables compared to my last attempt), but cannot get even a basic sweep to run at all on this setup. Before I ask more details, here is the hardware I'm using:

Intel I-5@3.20 GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit Window 10
NVIDIA P759-1 (for HDMI output)
Flex ASIO 1.9
Java 8
UMM-6 microphone
Yamaha CX-A5200 preamplifier
MiniDSP 2x4 HD

I believe I've got all the hardware I need, but falling flat on my face trying to get things going for the first sweep. Does it appear I have the basics to get started?
Any pointers to help would be greatly appreciated. thx.

If I've got the correct hardware, where could I find a detailed guide to get everything going for a first sweep ?

Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
REW on Mac. In order to get going quickly and easily I suggest using the internal mic and the headphone output. With the toes dipped in the water, than progress to introducing an outboard mic. I have a PMik which is a simple swap. Next introduce an outboard USB Mic or and interface plus phantom powered mic.

RussNC

More  
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
ATI AT500NC
Sony UBP- X800M2
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP 8000F II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-504C II
Surround Speakers
HSU CCB-8
Subwoofers
4 Klipsch RP-1600SW
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
VISIO P759-G1
I've followed the manual for a Window setup of REW, but still have no signal to the speakers. I get up to running CHECK LEVELS and have no output through the HDMI connection. (working with Yamaha tech support now in case it is a problem after the HDMI cable). I've seen a couple posts that talk about possible driver conflicts and fixes - is there a comprehensive list somewhere that can guide someone to resolve issues on PC?

sam_adams

Intel I-5@3.20 GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit Window 10
NVIDIA P759-1 (for HDMI output)
Flex ASIO 1.9

I would suggest that you disable the nVidia graphics adapter's HDMI sound output and use the built-in Intel HDMI audio. @thothsong raised the point that the nVidia drivers have issues enumerating the available audio channels/devices properly in a recent discussion here. He may wish to comment for elucidation purposes.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I get up to running CHECK LEVELS and have no output through the HDMI connection.
If you are running 5.20.13 and using Check levels on the soundcard preferences make sure you click the "Next" button at the bottom right of the preferences panel.

RussNC

More  
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
ATI AT500NC
Sony UBP- X800M2
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP 8000F II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-504C II
Surround Speakers
HSU CCB-8
Subwoofers
4 Klipsch RP-1600SW
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
VISIO P759-G1
I would suggest that you disable the nVidia graphics adapter's HDMI sound output and use the built-in Intel HDMI audio. @thothsong raised the point that the nVidia drivers have issues enumerating the available audio channels/devices properly in a recent discussion here. He may wish to comment for elucidation purposes.

If you are running 5.20.13 and using Check levels on the soundcard preferences make sure you click the "Next" button at the bottom right of the preferences panel.
Thanks so much for your work and help. I finally got it up and going on this system after many trials, reloads and tribulations. I lost track of how many changes, but I always used the guide you made and it was a lifesaver. I have a very problematic area (vaulted ceilings, walls of glass, angled walls and thousands of cubic feet for total room volume) for a home theater and will spend many hours to make listening improvements. Now that I can start testing a single sub I can add another in the near future. This just re-energized my viewing space.

Top Bottom