What constitutes an Audiophile or Videophile?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
If you researched, auditioned and purchased your equipment based on your perception of the sound and what like. Then carefully installed and set up that equipment. If you enjoyed it then and enjoy it now still liking what you hear.... I consider you an audiophile!

It's like diagnosing an illness ;-).

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
This is an interesting question, Tom. I'm not sure what the right answer is.

There's some part of me that wants to say that there's a big difference between an enthusiast and an audiophile, with audiophiles taking steps beyond a passion or love for sound, music, and movies. Perhaps to levels that are somewhat absurd and unnecessary.

I don't consider myself to be an audiophile - perhaps more of a videophile from a technical perspective. I think AV enthusiast probably sums it up best.
I think you are correct In that the strift definition of an audiophile is elusive. maybe I shouldn’t be looking for something definitive but go back to the idea that it is a state of mind and ones own self-belief or perception that determines wether you are or aren’t (and the rest of the world work on their own definition).

Atmos7

More  
Yamaha RX-A8A
Yamaha
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP8000F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP504C
Surround Speakers
Micca M-8C
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
Micca M-8C
Rear Height Speakers
Micca M-8C
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-12SW
If you researched, auditioned and purchased your equipment based on your perception of the sound and what like. Then carefully installed and set up that equipment. If you enjoyed it then and enjoy it now still liking what you hear.... I consider you an audiophile!

Thank you. Yes I did do lot of research and ended up with a decent system without going broke.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Thank you. Yes I did do lot of research and ended up with a decent system without going broke.

I don't think $$ should be part of the definition. You can have a killer budget system. I ran one for years and loved it. Yes, folks tend to spend more in search of what they might perceive as better sound... but it's not a necessity by any means (at least in my opinion)

Atmos7

More  
Yamaha RX-A8A
Yamaha
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP8000F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP504C
Surround Speakers
Micca M-8C
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
Micca M-8C
Rear Height Speakers
Micca M-8C
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-12SW
I don't think $$ should be part of the definition. You can have a killer budget system. I ran one for years and loved it. Yes, folks tend to spend more in search of what they might perceive as better sound... but it's not a necessity by any means (at least in my opinion)

I agree, but unfortunately many people believe the more expensive the item is, it has to be better. And this thinking is not just restricted to AV equipment, people believe this to be true for everything. My wife believes that Walmart's generic version of Tylenol cannot be as effective as Tylenol because it is much cheaper. Her rationale is that if they are the same, why one is more expensive than the other.

When I was shopping for my AV system, I happen to venture into Best Buy's Magnolia showroom. The sales guy was showing me $15K floor standing speakers ($30K for a pair). When I told him about my budget he very politely kicked me out saying that I should go to Best Buy, as "here we only carry very high end equipment for audiophiles".

I know a guy who is a professional AV/home theater consultant. His personal consulting fees starts at $100K. He showed me photos of the home theater he designed for Larry Ellison's (Oracle CEO) yacht. He was paid over $300K for his service. He said that he specified even the material for the seats, floor, wall, drapes, etc. Another client of his flew him to Hawaii and put him in a hotel for several weeks while he designed the home theater for this guy's "vacation" villa in Hawaii. I am not sure if Larry Ellison or this other guy are audiophiles, but I am sure their friends who are invited to their place would vouch they are.

Changing the discussion little bit, Tom L in one of his earlier posts said some folks go "Perhaps to levels that are somewhat absurd and unnecessary". I have to admit, I am guilty of that. For my 5.4.2 system in my small living room, I used 10 gauge CL3 rated speaker wires, where the longest distance through the walls and attic is less than 30 feet. Probably a classic example of "absurd and unnecessary" and cost. The thickness and the weight of the wires are real pain to manage.

Mathemagician

I think you are correct In that the strift definition of an audiophile is elusive. maybe I shouldn’t be looking for something definitive but go back to the idea that it is a state of mind and ones own self-belief or perception that determines wether you are or aren’t (and the rest of the world work on their own definition).
I identify as a videophile.

Want to come over and watch some movies on my 48" Vizio? The soundbar I added is pretty baller. It's not Bose, but it's clearly the same design.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Hmmmm.... I think you are on to something here....

You maybe shouldn't have encouraged me.

- If you've set your alarm for 3am so you can calibrate your system in dead silence, you might be an audiophile.

- If you consider Floyd Toole's works to be fun light reading, you might be an audiophile.

what bass

Supporter
More  
Sherborn PT-7030
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Raal Sierra tower
Center Channel Speaker
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon
"phile" for love of something

I think we ruled out money spent doesnt qualify.
Neither does simply listening to music.

I believe what separates audiophiles from the rest of the consumer herd is the desire to understand. If we seek out knowledge on loudspeaker design and try to understand how good circuit design affects sound. If we study the acoustics of the space we are trying to reproduce the sound in then, we have crossed over. We have joined the club. Certainly there are varying degrees of immersion but if we take the time to go beyond simply paying to hear noise, we take the leap.

In my opinion, that is what constitutes an audiophile.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

I believe what separates audiophiles from the rest of the consumer herd is the desire to understand. If we seek out knowledge on loudspeaker design and try to understand how good circuit design affects sound. If we study the acoustics of the space we are trying to reproduce the sound in then, we have crossed over. We have joined the club. Certainly there are varying degrees of immersion but if we take the time to go beyond simply paying to hear noise, we take the leap.

Well said. I like that all of those sentiments.:hail:

I definitely think it involves a level of caring that your typical music fan isn't interested in exploring. There are plenty of people that want to hear good sound, but a commitment to taking the time to improve and hone sound sets it apart.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter

I like the way you think. And I certainly agree that “becoming an Audiophile” (or videophile) is a journey/process... or at least should be! I also believe you are correct in that it is something that you grow into with the right mindset as opposed to just throwing more money at it!

Thank you for your reply!

Tom

AJ Soundfield

More  
Yamaha RXA800, Denon AVR-X4500, Lexicon MC10
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Abacus Ampino, Triode Corp TRV-35SE
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2