Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Amazon Video - I already have Prime for shipping, so this is added bonus. I never use the music service.

Apple TV + - Already have AppleMusic. Will look into this, they have some good looking programming, price is right. I'd also keep your eyes open for this to become more of a complete service with other networks, like Hulu, in the future.

Disney + - No thanks.

Hulu Plus - I've had Hulu in the past, the $6 version. It's fine. I now have a PLEX DVR with antenna, so no real need.

HBO Max - I have AT&T Mobile, so this will be free. And I am all for that.

Peacock - I have a PLEX DVR with antenna, so no need for this.

CBS - I have a PLEX DVR with antenna, so no need for this.

*** See my comments added to quoted post above ***

I have added a SlingTV subscription until college football season is over. I love that these services don't require contracts or specific hardware. You can turn on and turn off as needed.

All of this stuff is run via AppleTV, and as much as possible I have things set up to connect to the AppleTV app, so I rarely have to even navigate through the individual apps.

GFOviedo

I have cancelled my DirecTV services and AT&T UVerse services as well. I switched back to XFinity internet with 1gigabit download and 45 Mbps uploads for $84.99. I bought a 4K FireTV for when Amazon had them on sale for $25, downloaded Amazon Silk browser, and use ustvgo.tv to watch local channels, news and sport. Works pretty good. At times there is the occasional freeze screen, but after reloading the screen it works again.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Thanks for the info...Now I can watch US channels with my VPN. How do you get the locals? I have my VPN set for Seattle, and the locals were for NY.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Does a apple lightening digital av adaptor pass 4K and atmos? Apple TV + started today and I was thinking this would allow me to play it in my living room, theater or bedroom by simply sticking it in one of the free hdmi ports on the receiver . Apparently this doesn’t work anymore after iOS 12 according to information I found on the net.

Last edited:

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Since Apple TV + started (free for me) today and I’m not about to watch things on a cell phone or tablet.....I picked up a fire tv 4k stick. Gonna set it up and see how these Apple shows are.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
So..I have watched “See”and “The Morning Show” on Apple TV+. The video quality and audio quality were solid. Contrary to original commentary that Apple shows would be PG level I can confirm they are not. “SEE” was violent, nudity, sexual language and one could say perverse in the use of religion. “The Morning Show” had consistent swearing....and while it has a MeToo undertone it appears to be presented from multiple viewpoints.

On another matter, any of you who use amazon video, or amazon fire stick please chime in. I found amazon video to be hit or miss in video stream quality. Oddly I could stream Apple TV app. without video quality issue, while I had problems with the amazon video app.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I just found out yesterday that Plex started to offer free streaming. I logged I to my account t, and saw they stream news, tv shows, and movies now for free. I watched a few...1080p, and I like the interface for finding what you want to stream better now. I was also surprised as last time I logged in it could not find my server, and now it actually found all my music that I had set up with JRiver too.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Must have been a firmware update for Plex to update it for streaming. Glad you like it. :)

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
A YouTube reviewer I follow said it just came out yesterday as a new feature. I like having multiple ways to play my content and to stream as you never know when a device or app is going to give you problems...nice to have a backup.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Must have been a firmware update for Plex to update it for streaming. Glad you like it. :)
Plex isn't hardware so it wouldn't require a firmware.

I saw the announcement yesterday regarding streaming. It hasn't really meant much to me but I haven't looked into it that closely. News has been up there for awhile I thought. The only thing new is the streaming from the new partners which is movies, concerts, etc. From what I've seen they are mostly older titles.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I haven’t looked closely but I saw the announcement. Seems to be the same block of free movies offered by VUDU and my Samsung TV and just about every other device I’ve used recently.
I’ll be interested to see how they’re implemented into the PLEX interface though.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I haven’t looked closely but I saw the announcement. Seems to be the same block of free movies offered by VUDU and my Samsung TV and just about every other device I’ve used recently.
I’ll be interested to see how they’re implemented into the PLEX interface though.
Correct...sorta like when Netflix started out. What i like is it gives me another option for streaming movies, and tv shows from anywhere in the world...since I now live in Mexico.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I finally cut the cable....cancelled Dish. I can get the local channels using the locast free app.
And I still have Netflix and Apple TV +.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I tried it with my VPN, and it worked, but then it stopped working... I was hoping the VPN would be a way to get usa locals. Oh well it was worth a try.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I can’t recall but does it ask
I tried it with my VPN, and it worked, but then it stopped working... I was hoping the VPN would be a way to get usa locals. Oh well it was worth a try.
I don’t use a vpn with it. I believe it just asks for a zip code or city name when you install the app.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Peacock TV app went live yesterday.
Basic account with commercials and limited material is free for everyone. Commercials are limited. It may play a minute or two of commercials prior to the start of a show but no interruptions during the show, at least that I have seen.
If you have certain services with xfinity/Comcast a premium account with Peacock is free...unlocks all the material but still with commercials.

Watched the first episode of there new show Brave New World. Found the picture quality to be good. Interesting show.

There is no official app available for fire stick or Roku at this time. Negations are on going. You can side load the app on the fire stick, I did on four of mine and it works.....not sure about roku.

GFOviedo

Peacock TV app went live yesterday.
Basic account with commercials and limited material is free for everyone. Commercials are limited. It may play a minute or two of commercials prior to the start of a show but no interruptions during the show, at least that I have seen.
If you have certain services with xfinity/Comcast a premium account with Peacock is free...unlocks all the material but still with commercials.

Watched the first episode of there new show Brave New World. Found the picture quality to be good. Interesting show.

There is no official app available for fire stick or Roku at this time. Negations are on going. You can side load the app on the fire stick, I did on four of mine and it works.....not sure about roku.
I’ve got xfinity, and they sent me a TV streaming box. I guess I could use that to access peacock for free, but I’ve got Amazon 4K fire sticks for that. I don’t really feel like having multiple streaming boxes.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I’ve got xfinity, and they sent me a TV streaming box. I guess I could use that to access peacock for free, but I’ve got Amazon 4K fire sticks for that. I don’t really feel like having multiple streaming boxes.
You’ll just have to side load it on the fire stick until they release an app for fire stick. Message me if you need the link to put in downloader to install it.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Anyone using Hulu basic with adds? If so, how good is the service.....I was seeing some people complaining about buffering and excessive adds. Looking for user opinion. Considering adding it...

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I haven't used hulu with ads, only hulu without ads and everybody I know only uses without ads and it is perfect for that option.. I know not what you were asking but my two cents. :)

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
If you have T-Mobile as a carrier and download there app. T-Mobile Tuesday one of the offerings (depending on the region you live in) is a free year of mlb.com. They offered this last year also in my region. Download the MLB app. on your choice device and log in.
F502B92F-35F6-4510-88ED-0DFED74AC5EF.jpeg

Top Bottom