REW Beta Release V5.20 beta 16, 17 and 18

John Mulcahy

REW Author
V5.20 beta 16 has substantial changes to the way calibration files are handled, linking the files to the interface they are to be used with.

Calibration files for soundcards are now linked to the output device name and the sample rate, the required file will be loaded automatically if the device or sample rate changes provided it has been specified.

Calibration files for input devices (microphones, SPL meters, ...) are now linked to the input device name and the input channel, the required file will be loaded automatically if the device or channel change provided it has been specified. There is an option to have different calibration files for each input channel, as required for the miniDSP E.A.R.S, for example. SPL calibration is also linked to the input device and will be updated when the input is selected.

All the calibration files can be viewed on the Cal Files preferences tab (which replaces the Mic/Meter settings tab). Entries that are no longer required can be deleted and the cal files used for an entry can be changed.

The files that will be used for the current measurement can be viewed/changed fronm the Measure dialog using the Cal Files... button by the input selector.

The soundcard calibration file is not used when playback is from file.

There are a few other minor changes:
  • Added number of samples to the cumulative IR shift figure in the Impulse graph controls and the IR delay estimate dialog
  • When highlighting a trace (by placing the mouse cursor over its name in the legend) fade other traces to help it stand out
  • Redisplay the level meters if they were showing before an ASIO I/O change
  • The ASIO secondary output selector has been added to the Soundcard preferences

There are also some bug fixes:
  • Bug fix: Signal generator level adjustment wasn't working if the "Full scale sine rms is 0 dBFS" option wasn't selected
  • Bug fix: When using ASIO4All the default Windows recording device would be shown as not available
  • Bug fix: Menu bar was duplicated on macOS which could lead to odd behaviour
  • Bug fix: Adjust RTA levels should not affect the values in the RMS input levels panel
  • Bug fix: Output level unit selection was not updating when changed from another output level control

Breeman

Thanks John for this update.

I think the trace highlighting feature is a great feature. Will you perhaps consider a freeze option where once the trace is highlighted; it can be copied as such? Perhaps this feature can be integrated into the graph copy function or a key combination of some sort. The screenshot is a represenation of what I am referring to; however it achieved by using delay function of a third-party screen copy utility. The average graph in this screenshot stands out quite nicely because its trace is by default a thicker plot.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have added Alt+C as a shortcut to bring up the graph capture dialog for the next build, if you use the shortcut while a trace is highlighted it should remain highlighted for the image capture.

Breeman

I have added Alt+C as a shortcut to bring up the graph capture dialog for the next build, if you use the shortcut while a trace is highlighted it should remain highlighted for the image capture.
Wow, this is great news. Thank you so much ,:jump:.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A few updates in beta 17:
  • Added Alt+C as a shortcut for the graph capture button
  • Added a warning that Default input cannot be used for SPL calibration
  • Added a message on the Cal Files preferences to select an input device and input if they have not been selected
  • Bug fix: Manual SPL calibration was not working properly in beta 16
  • Bug fix: RTA distortion panel did not show results if the signal generator had not been displayed

muto

Registered
[QUOTE = "John Mulcahy, gönderi: 39656, üye: 16"]
Beta 17'deki birkaç güncelleme:
  • Grafik yakalama düğmesinin kısayolu olarak Alt + C eklendi
  • SPL kalibrasyonu için Varsayılan girişin kullanılamadığına dair bir uyarı eklendi
  • Bir giriş cihazı seçmek ve seçilmemişse giriş yapmak için Cal Files tercihlerine bir mesaj eklendi.
  • Hata düzeltme: Manuel SPL kalibrasyonu beta 16'da düzgün çalışmıyor
  • Hata düzeltme: Eğer sinyal jeneratörü gösterilmiyorsa, RTA bozulma paneli sonuçları göstermedi
[/ALINTI]
Selam. Ses kartı kalibrasyon dosyalarını 10-64 işletim sisteminde kazanamıyorum.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Selam. Ses kartı kalibrasyon dosyalarını 10-64 işletim sisteminde kazanamıyorum.
Make sure that you select the output device and the output on the Soundcard preferences. Do not leave either as "Default".

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Try the dialog on the Cal files preferences tab or from pressing the Cal files button on the Measure dialog.

EarlK

John,

re: Windows 32bit REW V5.20 beta17 ( or 16 )

The auto-notification ( for the previous Beta version ) doesn't work.
- Also, the "Check for Updates Now" returns nothing ( no screen action at all ).

64bit REW ( same beta version 16 or 17 ) works as intended for the update notification messaging.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
re: Windows 32bit REW V5.20 beta16 ( or 15 )

The auto-notification ( for a Beta update ) doesn't work. Also, the "Check for Updates Now" returns nothing ( no action at all ).
Is there anything in the log files for the 32-bit installation? What Java version is it running? The difference between the 32 and 64-bit versions is really only which Java runtime they use, x86 or x64. Code is the same.

EarlK

Okay, it looks like my REW 32bit program is stuck pointing to ( and running ) the JRE 1.8.0_162 that's found within the i4j_jres folder ( located in the "common files" of the "program Files (x86) folder ).

Can I delete the i4j_jres folder and will my 32bit REW then start using my latest JAVA update ( JRE 1.8.0_221 ) ?

:)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, that can be deleted. It should be recent enough though, worth checking that REW's connection attempt isn't being blocked by a firewall or antivirus package.

EarlK

Yes, that can be deleted. It should be recent enough though, worth checking that REW's connection attempt isn't being blocked by a firewall or antivirus package.

Hi John,

I moved that i4i_jres folder to a b/u directory ( forcing REW to use the latest JAVA version ) and now all is well ( iow; REW's connection attempt works and reports that my 32bit REW is up to date ).

Thanks, EarlK

Last edited:

matt burton

Registered
Using Beta 17 - my DBa values all seem to be half the amplitude after going from beta 15 --> 16 (and 17). Some changed parameter? sweep values are now in the 30 ish db range and background about 26Db!!! real quiet.... not!!!

matt burton

Registered
sweep volume levels are still audibly equivalent and still at -12dBFS. Umik-1 90deg cal used as usual and checked that mic input on the computer still at 81. HDMI output still at 100. win 10 64 bit

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Does your cal file have a sensitivity value in it Matt? And the UMIK is selected as the input device and input? If it was manually calibrated try repeating the calibration.

ThomasNG

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
RS
Main Amp
RStech
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony
Thanks you help!I need this

matt burton

Registered
Does your cal file have a sensitivity value in it Matt? And the UMIK is selected as the input device and input? If it was manually calibrated try repeating the calibration.
Hi JOhn - yes it's one of the newer 18 gain ones and using the 90 deg cal - nothing has changed with how I'm using it between beta 15 and 16/17. All the input and ASIO settings as as usual. The cal file is input in the new fashion in 16/17 in the new cal tab.

Sens Factor =-0.010989dB, SERNO: 7042908
"Auto-generated 90-degree calibration file for use with nanoAVR DL"
10.054 -4.6242
10.179 -4.4602
10.306 -4.2994
10.434 -4.1419
10.564 -3.9875
10.696 -3.8362
10.829 -3.6880
10.964 -3.5428
11.100 -3.4007
11.238 -3.2616
etc etc

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Separate cal files for each input isn't really appropriate for a UMIK (or other USB mics) since they have exactly the same data on both channels. If you uncheck the Separate cal files box and specify the cal file again it should work better, I'll investigate why it isn't working when using the separate cal files option.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A minor change and some bug fixes in V5.20 beta 18:
  • Don't show zero volume warnings if Suppress Soundcard Errors is selected
  • Bug fix: Scope math traces could be clipped
  • Bug fix: Stop windows selected from the menu being pushed behind the main window
  • Bug fix: Changing graph while loading measurements could cause the legend to show the wrong trace names
  • Bug fix: Devices with no input channels could appear in the mic cal files list
  • Bug fix: Cal files were not being restored on next startup if "Separate cal files for each input" was used
  • Bug fix: USB mic cal file sensitivity data was not processed until the next startup or input change when the cal file was loaded using the Browse button

Top Bottom