Using REW with RePhase

ola1

My main use of Room Equalisation Wizard has been to use it to :

1. Measure my speakers (one for Left and another for right)
2. Create a correction set of EQ's.
3. Export the correction set of EQ's as an impulse (combined into a stereo impulse file)
4. Import that impulse into a convolution plugin, and play back all my audio through the plugin.

I understand that all of the above, corrects only the Amplitude of the audio frequencies.

I have read that one could improve this correction by using RePhase as an additional tool, to also correct the phase anomalies.

My questions are, with an aim of improving my results :

1. At this time I only take one measurement per speaker, from one listening position. .Is there any advantage to using multiple measurements per speaker from various points around the listening position, and then averaging them together?

2. Whats the best way of measuring each speaker? Point the measurement microphone up OR Point the measurement microphone towards the center point between the speakers, OR Point the measurement microphone towards the speaker?

3. What is the process of using RePhase with REW, to achieve this further enhancement, which also improves the phase. I have read many efforts of others to achieve this, but either because the translation to English has been poor, and I do not read French very well, or because the descriptions have been difficult to understand, I do not have an assured way of going about this, in spite of all I have read. Could someone come to my rescue please, and hopefully also explain why, in each of the required steps.

4. If I recall rightly I tend to use the 1/6th octave or 1/12th octave smoothing, before I generate my correction EQ/Filters in Room Equalisation Wizard. Are there any advantages of using any other smoothing methods?

PS. I have already done what I can to reduce reflections, in my bedroom, which is my listening space, using bedroom furniture, carpeting and clothing in a wardrobe.

Thanks for your kind response.

Ola

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
I can probably help you work through that even though I am not familiar with the guides that cover this process.
  • An average around the LP is a little better to use for EQ determination using REW and the filters can be directly imported into rePhase to create the EQ portion of the final filter impulse.
  • The same measurements can also be used to determine the direct sound phase rotation and imported into rePhase in a separate session to determine the settings needed for a phase correction portion of the final filter.
  • The 2 filter settings can be combined together in rePhase to create the final filter.

The first step is to take several measurements around the LP for each channel. You can either point the mic between the speakers or directly at them. It will not make much difference as the mic is omnidirectional through ±30° even at high frequencies.

Last edited:

ola1

I can probably help you work through that even though I am not familiar with the guides that cover this process.
  • An average around the LP is a little better to use the EQ determination using REW and the filters can be directly imported into rePhase to create the EQ portion of the final filter impulse.
  • The same measurements can be used to determine the direct sound phase rotation and imported into rePhase in a separate session to determine the settings needed for a phase correction portion of the final filter.
  • The 2 filter setting can be combined together in rePhase to create the final filter.

The first step is to take several measurements around the LP for each channel. You can either point the mic between the speakers or directly at them. It will not make much difference as the mic is omnidirectional through 30° even at high frequencies.

Thanks ever so much for the clarification you have provided.on the pointing of the microphone and the benefit of taking an average rather than a single measurement per speaker. Fully understood.

Based on your other clarification points, I want to invest some time to read through the current manuals or reference docs for REW and RePhase, so that I am better equipped to follow the guidance you have provided.

It may take a few weeks to get back to you, cos I have a few urgent family related priorities I must first attend to.

Regards

Ola

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Okay, I will be here.

Foly83

More  
Marantz AV-8805
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 3, 2x Emotiva BassX
Front Speakers
Bowers &Wilkins 804D3
Center Channel Speaker
HTM1D3
Surround Speakers
Cinema Series
Surround Back Speakers
Cinema Series
Front Height Speakers
Cinema Series
Subwoofers
4x DB1
Other Equipment
Mini DSP 2x4HD, DDRC 88-BM, Mini DSP Thomann 4x4
Hello Jtalden

Unfortunately, the post has been cold for some time.
Maybe I can bring it to life a bit.
I assume that by two sessions you mean.
- First session the EQ phase edit
- Second session edit the LP Vector measurement
You wrote that you can merge the two.
Most of the time I transferred the settings manually.
How can I combine a filter setting more easily if I want to have one from two sessions?
Example as described above
I can load the measurement as .txt in the second session, but how do I save for example bank 2 individually from Paragraphic Phase EQ or Paragraphic Gain EQ.
Maybe I am missing something

Many greetings

Top Bottom