UnRaid Server!

Discussion in 'Computer Systems - HTPC / Gaming' started by GFOviedo, Aug 19, 2018.

1. GFOviedo

GFOviedo Senior Member

I’m surprise as to how much smaller and lighter the new hard drives are. I’ve been switching some of my 2TB for 4TB drives. These are lighter and a little smaller.

My server is pretty old, but it does its job. I might end up updating it next year.

Update: After the addition of the second 4TB harddrive I started to have some issues. Luckily, I didn’t lose any data, but one of the new drives already has a bad sector. I guess these aren’t as good as the old ones.

Attached Files:

2. Eric SVL

Eric SVL Active Member

Sweet.

Hard to conclude that quality has declined with a small, personal sample size. Large operations such as Backblaze keep stats on their HDD failures.

3. GFOviedo

GFOviedo Senior Member

I used to buy server and commercial grade hard drives, but Since returning to school, kids going to school and new baby my hobby budget has been drastically reduced. So, I buy whatever is on sale with at least 3 yrs warranty.

4. Eric SVL

Eric SVL Active Member

From what I understand, the failure rate on the drives with 1.5TB platters (1.5TB, 3.0TB, etc) is higher than those with the 1 or 2TB platters. So I think you're making the right move with the 4 TB drives. WD Red is what I'd buy today, but I think Seagate has made strides to improve in recent years. Since you buy so many I can see how costs/savings would add up.

My NAS is running a WD Black 1TB and a WD Green 2TB. Remarkable that they are still going strong with zero issues after 8 years. I'll guess I'll replace them when they fail or when I run out of space. Obviously I don't store as much as you, but that could change :T

5. GFOviedo

GFOviedo Senior Member

I am replacing them since some are over 5 years old. I haven’t had any issues with them, but I rather be safe than sorry. The one giving me issues right now is a 4TB WD red drive that is only 9 months old.